Old 05-27-2012, 02:06 AM   #1

My bicycle mount

I searched and had a difficult time figuring out how I wanted to transport my bicycles while camping. I have a TT and use a hard tonneau cover on my pickup. There are dozens of different ways to get the bikes and the camper from point A to point B. This is how I decided to do it. I found one other picture on the internet that was similar to this. So I canít claim to be the origin of this idea)
Cheaper than the best options, better than the cheap options. My bikes should be clean and ready to go when I get where I am going.
I did have some issues with handle bar widths, caused me to mount one at an angle. Additionally, the handlebars hang over the top of the bench, so I couldnít mount one of them backwards because I have a window frame that would have gotten in the way.
Hope this helps someone down the road. Thanks to everyone else for their ideas.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:41 AM   #2
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbiker99 View Post
I searched and had a difficult time figuring out how I wanted to transport my bicycles while camping. I have a TT and use a hard tonneau cover on my pickup. There are dozens of different ways to get the bikes and the camper from point A to point B. This is how I decided to do it. I found one other picture on the internet that was similar to this. So I canít claim to be the origin of this idea)
Cheaper than the best options, better than the cheap options. My bikes should be clean and ready to go when I get where I am going.
I did have some issues with handle bar widths, caused me to mount one at an angle. Additionally, the handlebars hang over the top of the bench, so I couldnít mount one of them backwards because I have a window frame that would have gotten in the way.
Holy Cow is that a great idea or what!

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 07:58 AM   #3

I too, had thought of an inside transport system - until the OWMBO mentioned, er - NO! I believe is what she may have said at one point of her disertation. I figured as much when I mentioned it would be a great method but, as expected, it just did not pan out. So now I have an A.R.E. topper with truck color paint match, fork mount holders on a 1/2" plywood panel which locks in place and all is good in the world. Besides, if I had tried to put a bike or two in the TT after riding (it would be dirty at some popint, I may as well just keep riding it home...
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:05 PM   #4

I certainly like this idea, but don't see the wife liking it. While I'm on vacation, out camping. I am going to become intimately familiar with my CC.
crushor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 01:12 PM   #5

One other thought. My CC is not a light weight. With this and the different bumper issues, would it still be possible to use a 2" receiver hitch on the frame and a high quality bike carrier and ensure there is no superfluous movement of the bikes? Controlling the movement could be done be either ratchet straps or something a little more stout. Hmmm, what to build???
Old 06-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by crushor
One other thought. My CC is not a light weight. With this and the different bumper issues, would it still be possible to use a 2" receiver hitch on the frame and a high quality bike carrier and ensure there is no superfluous movement of the bikes? Controlling the movement could be done be either ratchet straps or something a little more stout. Hmmm, what to build???
Hello Crusher,
I have researched this to death and this is what i end up doing. I can carry up to six bikes, (not sure how many you have) i ended up replacing my rear bumper with a 4" x 2" steel tubing. I prefer the front bike mount as i can keep an eye on them while traveling.
if you would like to see more photos, just let me know, i have lots.
tks gb
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2487377342.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	48.6 KB
ID:	15410   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-582346965.jpg
Views:	152
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	15411   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1262700535.jpg
Views:	179
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	15412   Click image for larger version

Name:	image-2718998499.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	45.5 KB
ID:	15413  
Old 06-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #7

Quote:

Do you secure the rear tires down somehow? I'd be afraid the tires would eventually bounce off the board they're sitting on during travel.
Old 06-18-2012, 05:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by g_brouwer

Hello Crusher,
I have researched this to death and this is what i end up doing. I can carry up to six bikes, (not sure how many you have) i ended up replacing my rear bumper with a 4" x 2" steel tubing. I prefer the front bike mount as i can keep an eye on them while traveling.
if you would like to see more photos, just let me know, i have lots.
tks gb
g_brouwer, I thank you very much for the information. I also like the front mount, but with 4 bikes, 3 being adult sized mountain bikes the 4th has training wheels, I'm not sure my wife could lift them from the front mount If I wasn't there. You mentioned more pics. I would certainly appreciate seeing anything you have on both mounts. Front and rear. Still new to this, but believe me, I don't want to leave anything on the side of the road. On my TT I have 30 lbs tanks and am looking to upgrade battery package. I guess my thought would be to construct a device that would allow my wife or daughter the ability to remove or replace the bikes. I think the gears in my head are turning.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri View Post
Do you secure the rear tires down somehow? I'd be afraid the tires would eventually bounce off the board they're sitting on during travel.

I have a heavy duty "twisty tie" thing that I use to tie them to each other with an old pillow in between so that gears don't get screwed up. The rear tires haven't moved during my last two trial trips (450 miles +/-). About 4 miles of that were very rough road construction. I am confident that they are secure.
Old 06-18-2012, 10:46 PM   #10

Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Quote:
This is how I decided to do it. I found one other picture on the internet that was similar to this. So I canít claim to be the origin of this idea)]
Now that's thinking outside the box by putting your bikes inside the box (RV that is)! Nice work!

Tags
led pad