Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-28-2011, 04:58 PM   #41

Yeah, up there was the only reasonable space I had available for the water heater, so that's where it went!

I was playing around with the thru-the-floor idea myself. Actually my original thought was to build maybe a 6" riser for the unit and ducting the vent into the riser. The front of the riser would have a vent, and there would also be a floor vent going out through the bottom. During the cold months you could shut off the floor vent and open the riser's front vent to capture the heat. Then vice-versa during the warmer months.
HomeGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:04 PM   #42

WOW i have been lurking this posting your rig looks great congrats it looks like your doing a top notch job will keep watching for more pics
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2011, 08:25 PM   #43
Villa Estate 392FLFB

i would still go down then have to go out through the skirting. id loop some pipe so that it heats up under but still gets the humid out from underneath.
Old 08-29-2011, 11:47 AM   #44

Thanks Detroit
Lots more misc. projects left. I think 50 amp service & heat system are next up, being that September is upon us.
Old 08-29-2011, 01:03 PM   #45
Villa Estate 392FLFB

dont forget the skirting. ive been trying to order mine through the RVskirting.com guy but he isnt replying to my emails..
Old 08-29-2011, 05:27 PM   #46

Oh how I'd love to have skirting, but it's prohibited at the campground we're in (county apparently won't allow them to have any trailers that look too "permanent").
Old 09-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #47

Well, I pulled the proverbial trigger today and did my 50 amp conversion. Took about 8 hours from start to finish, including a quick trip to Lowe's.
I've now got the cable going through the floor instead of out the side. I'd like to do the same with my water supply.

I pulled the inverter out of the original panel to save space. Since I don't have batteries, and the only thing the 12v powers are a few lights, I could replace the inverter with a simple 12v power supply. Will leave it as is for now though.

Here's a few pics.... the first couple showing my "helper" who wandered by occasionally for supriise inspections.

..... going in for a closer look!

Old 09-11-2011, 02:48 PM   #48

You need to call the exterminater if you have lizards that big!!!

Timex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #49

Hey Stuff, RVSkirting.com will not reply to e-mails, I tried for a month, gotta call him on his cell, looks like a great product, but he is slow and hard to get a hold of.
ButchAF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:43 PM   #50
Villa Estate 392FLFB

I finally got a phone call from him. His daughter was in process of exams or something and she does all the "Measure - make - ship" kits. mine SHOULD be shipping this or next week.

Love the breaker box! I wish i had a well suited one like that in my rig.
Old 09-24-2011, 11:59 PM   #51
Villa Estate 392FLFB

dont feel so bad about your original floors! put the vent and drain in today and there was NO insulation in the floor!
Old 09-27-2011, 08:56 PM   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Stuff View Post
dont feel so bad about your original floors! put the vent and drain in today and there was NO insulation in the floor!
None? I may as well have had none. I really want to / need to do something with it. I'm going to check out the RV skirting link posted here. That would certainly help.

Here's my latest work... the electric heat conversion. Not what I had originally planned (was going to have one heater in the back and one up front) but I will see how it works out. Right now I only have 1 heater active and it does a great job of taking off the chill. I have the outlet hooked up to power on & off with the t-stat. Also put my original propane furnace back in place. The heat duct is still in place, but no holes in the floor. I may go ahead and put them in, in case the electric heaters don't do the job.

Old 09-29-2011, 10:25 AM   #53
Villa Estate 392FLFB

lol that is so something i can see my father do!

for electric heat this year i am thinking of buying one of those furnace vent box things.

its quartz infared heater with forced air. should work the best I would think.
Old 09-29-2011, 07:15 PM   #54

Yeah, I like those kind of heaters! I wanted something like that, but didn't find one small enough to fit under the seat where the furnace is.
Old 09-29-2011, 11:02 PM   #55

Homegrown, I've been following your thread for awhile. I like seeing the creativity you've put forth. Looks like you've been really busy with your trailer and it looks great!
2005 Ford Excursion Eddie Bauer 6.0l Diesel
TheFlagGang6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2011, 08:57 PM   #56

Thank you so much Flag, it's been quite a lot of work and we're pretty happy with it so far. Not too much more major stuff to do, but plenty of smaller projects.
Old 10-03-2011, 08:07 PM   #57

This is so cool I almost wanted to start a new thread for it, but alas, it belongs in the FEMA trailer thread.

My buddy and co-worker was looking at some LED lights (for his Jeep) on ebay a few weeks ago, and found this stuff on a roll. It has adhesive back, and you can cut and solder new leads on it in sections as short as 3 lights (every 3 lights has a place where you can cut the strip, and has small soldering dots on the tape to solder wires to). The roll was about 16' and the length was absolutely perfect for placing them under my cabinets. It cost $13 for the roll, shipped from China (of course).

This stuff doesn't do flat corners very gracefully, and what I REALLY should have done was to cut the individual straight pieces to length (8 total) and solder jumpers to connect them back together. I was just too geeked when I got them and wanted to get them up asap. I can always go back and redo it I suppose, but that's WAY down on the priority list.

It's really not as glaringly bright as it may appear in the pics, and I was actually after a bit more than simply accent lighting, I wanted some useful work light, and got it. I stuck it so the LED's point downward (stuck on horizontally) where they cast the most light. If I put them under the front edge of the cabinet (vertically) it would probably have been perfect for accent lighting.

Old 10-05-2011, 09:51 AM   #58
Villa Estate 392FLFB

ya i got a strip of those. was thinking put in a case and put in for over bathroom sink or shower area..
Old 07-10-2012, 10:51 PM   #59

Nice work!

I also had to do some remodeling to my FEMA camper.

Here's the thread on it

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ler-12391.html
xander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2012, 03:27 PM   #60

Not Safe

Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeGrown View Post
None? I may as well have had none. I really want to / need to do something with it. I'm going to check out the RV skirting link posted here. That would certainly help.

Here's my latest work... the electric heat conversion. Not what I had originally planned (was going to have one heater in the back and one up front) but I will see how it works out. Right now I only have 1 heater active and it does a great job of taking off the chill. I have the outlet hooked up to power on & off with the t-stat. Also put my original propane furnace back in place. The heat duct is still in place, but no holes in the floor. I may go ahead and put them in, in case the electric heaters don't do the job.

This system where you have a couple of heaters blowing into a confined space does not look very safe. My son just purchased a system designed to attach to the existing gas Furnace (its UL certified and RVIA approved). I would suggest you might want to check out there ADD ON system (CheapHeat) when installed it allows you to switch back and forth between gas or electric via a simple switch.
HVACretired is offline   Reply With Quote