Old 04-11-2013, 10:56 AM   #1001
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonk Mom View Post

I don't understand this ^^. I am sorry I sound stupid, but I am new to this and don't know what things are called yet and I am not modification savvy. My husband is, but he is not interested in doing much so it is all on me.
Your coach may not have scare lights.
Look at my post above with pic.

Old 04-11-2013, 11:59 AM   #1002

Here is a photo of my RV.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	At John Prince Park.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	49.9 KB
ID:	27673  

1998 Coachmen Leprechaun 31Q

Tonk Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:14 PM   #1003
Moderator Emeritus

That Class C is almost exactly like our Santara Coachman we just sold! I loved that RV!! I have some beautiful pics of the inside! So you could mount your lights up under the frame of that awning.
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 12:39 PM   #1004

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
That Class C is almost exactly like our Santara Coachman we just sold! I loved that RV!! I have some beautiful pics of the inside! So you could mount your lights up under the frame of that awning.
Oh yeah, cool. I would love to see photos. I will also post some of the inside. I am about to go to Home Depo and buy a dozen clear plastic shoe boxes to use for things like First Aid Kit, Make Up Kit, Shaving Kit, Spices, etc.

Also will buy a larger but flatter plastic container for doing laundry while driving.

Old 04-11-2013, 12:42 PM   #1005

It's old, you know, but we want to be able to pay cash (it was only $11,000) and own it so that no one could take it away from us, like our house. We needed to have a roof over our heads for when we get kicked out if that happens. Stupidly, I put my retirement money ($200,000) down on the house and still owe as much and it is only worth half of what I put down. More than you needed to know, but didn't want anyone to think I was a deadbeat.

Old 04-11-2013, 06:37 PM   #1006
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonk Mom View Post
Oh yeah, cool. I would love to see photos. I will also post some of the inside. I am about to go to Home Depo and buy a dozen clear plastic shoe boxes to use for things like First Aid Kit, Make Up Kit, Shaving Kit, Spices, etc.

Also will buy a larger but flatter plastic container for doing laundry while driving.
A helpful hint...I know you have lots to fill her up with, especially when you need to crate your kitties....but a helpful hint, try to make sure you have a place for everything you bring on board. Remember you have to stow everything, before you begin your journey to LA I think you said. Along with making it a safe place to be in while you travel. Let me gather some pics of mine. We just sold it to my sister who retired with plans to use her lump sum to buy land and become self sufficient. She has the RV that she can live in comfortably while she decides what to do. Those are great rigs and you have a nice temp place to call home!
Old 04-11-2013, 08:44 PM   #1007
Moderator Emeritus

Hey Tonk Mom...look for the thread called Does anyone travel with their cats....great info you might like for when you are living in your rig.
Old 04-11-2013, 08:56 PM   #1008

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
Hey Tonk Mom...look for the thread called Does anyone travel with their cats....great info you might like for when you are living in your rig.
I sort of found that one, cepting it said "Does anyone travel with there cats." I'm wondering where they are.

Old 04-12-2013, 01:22 AM   #1009
Owner/Operator

Review of RGB LED Light "RF" Controllers

This is a review of the five different RGB LED Strip "RF" Remote Controls that I've tested. My major requirements were for the RF Remote to have good range, reliability/repeatability, the ability to have White and Amber/Orange with variable brightnesses, and the ability to have two of the same type device on the RV for the two sets of LED Lights with independent operation.

Based on the above requirements, I have listed the RF Remotes for what I consider best to worse, with Pros, Cons, and a brief discussion.

#1 - 10 Button Mini RF Remote
5V 24V 12A 3 Channels 10 Button RF Wireless Mini Controller for LED RGB Strip | eBay
Mini 19 Modes RF Wireless Remote Controller for 5050 SMD RGB LED Strip Lights | eBay

PROS
Range: Excellent (Greater than 45 feet)
Reliability: Excellent (with a slight pause between button pushes)
Control: Good
Power Input: 12V Plug (Not Supplied)
Output: 4 Amps/Channel, 12 Amps Total
Repeatability: Remembers last setting even when power removed
CONS
Static Colors: 20 (Includes White and Orange)
Brightness Control: Only 5 Levels

This is the last RF Remote that I received, and as usual the best was saved for last. Small size. CR2025 Wafer Battery was supplied with one (but I don't remember which supplier included the battery). Hong Kong order arrived in 11 Days, CA order arrived in 7 days. Both free shipping. This unit met all my requirements, and I was able to verify (having two units) that they can independently be operated without interference with the other unit. The brightness has a good range, but is limited to 5 brightness levels. Using the Color+ and Color- buttons cycles through the 20 colors, which include a White and an Orange. This is my RF Remote of choice, and the price point makes it a bargain in my opinion.

#2 - 28-Key RF Remote
12V 12A 3 Channels LED Wireless Controller with 28 Key RF Remote for RGB Strip | eBay

PROS
Range: Excellent (Greater than 70 feet)
Reliability: Excellent (Green LED on unit verifies signal received)
Control: Excellent
Power Input: 12V Plug (Not Supplied) or hard wire through connector
CONS
Could not verify that two units could be used independently

This RF Remote would have been my first choice, IF, I were able to verify that two units could be operated independently. I have sent numerous emails to the supplier without a response. If I only needed one unit (I have two awnings) I would go with this unit. I was concerned with the metal enclosure and no external antenna wire, but I was able to control this unit up to 70 feet away. Color control is virtually infinite with the independent R-G-B Up/Down controls. 5 DIY buttons are easily programmable, and I have mine programmed for 5 different Orange brightnesses (Bug Light Mode). Uses a CR2025 Wafer Battery (Supplied). A bit pricey, but in my opinion worth the money.

#3 - RF Touch Panel Remote
Wireless RF Touch Panel LED RGB Dimmer Remote Controller 12V for RGB LED Strip | eBay

PROS
Range: Good (Greater than 50 feet)
Reliability: Poor (See discussion)
Control: Excellent
Power Input: Hard wire through connector (No plug receptacle)
Output: 6 Amps/Channel, 18 Amps Total
Repeatability: Remembers last setting only while power applied
CONS
IMO, erratic operation

This is the first RF Remote that I tried. It has excellent control, WHEN it responds to the Remote, however it does not always respond. Even at close range, there are times when it does not respond. At first I thought it might be due to the metal enclosure (with no external antenna), but I removed it from the enclosure and that did not help. The Color Wheel operation is great, again, when it works. The unit will retain the last setting when turned off, and then back on, but looses the last setting when power is removed from the unit. I am very disappointed in this unit due to the intermittent response. The Remote uses three AAA Batteries not supplied.

#4 - 4 Key RF Remote
4 Keys 12A 12V 144W Wireless RF Remote Controller for 5050 RGB LED Strip Light | eBay

PROS
Control: Poor (Only 7 Colors, no Orange)
Power Input: 12V Plug (Not Supplied) or hard wire through connector
CONS
Very limited control with respect to colors

I was very disappointed in this unit because of the limited color control. It does have a good range of brightness control for each color. It uses a non standard (but available at Radio Shack) battery in the Remote, and the battery is included. I did not attempt to find out whether two of these units could be operated independently, since I do not intend to use this unit. The base unit is very well constructed with an external antenna wire. The Remote IMO is very cheaply made, but does have an extendable antenna to improve range.

#5 - 4 Key RF Remote
New 4KEY RF LED Controller 12V 4A 48W for LED 5050 3528 RGB Stripe RF Remote | eBay

PROS
Control: Poor (Only 7 Colors, no Orange)
Power Input: Hard wire through connector
CONS
Very limited control with respect to colors

This was essentially a carbon copy of #4 in a smaller enclosure. The only difference that I could find was the lack of a receptacle for the 12V input. Power must be hard wired to the connector.

Hope this might help someone decide on a RF Controller if that's what you desire.

RodeoGeorge

Afterthought - On #1, the unit is not marked with "R - G - B - Common", but the common pin is the one on the end with the red triangle.
All My Modifications are at this link:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:21 AM   #1010
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Excellent report, thank you for all your work on these comparisons. Lots of great info for all.

Thanks again,

Rick

Tags
awning, led pad