Old 05-20-2013, 06:21 PM   #1291

Well, first trip and put up the new lights - at the campground. Seemed like a good idea...then I had to use 2 stool to reach the awning track! Fortunately it was a 'good' spot and had no issues.

I started on the left and and about 2' 'extra' on the right and just ran them down the inside edge of the awning frame. Used the 3M tape that came on the lights. This has 2 benefits - since i can't reach the awning track without a stool or ladder on the left I was concerned how i'd plug things in. Well, the strip has the same plug on both ends - so the 'long' end is now reachable from ground level.

And it glows 'through' the door window when the door is locked open. Of course this puts the remote eye behind the door too, but then that keeps the kids from playing with it as much!

I'm leaving it as it is, 'manual' hookup mode. Easier to hookup than our lights that hang from the awning edge. Much MUCH brighter too!

Our remote has a 'brighter/softer' button which also changes the speed of the settings where it rotates teh colors. Cool!

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2013, 07:09 PM   #1292

Need lots of advise on awning LED lights

I have been following this thread since last year and need some advice. I bought these LED lights last year (from Amazon-the dealer was LED wholesalers) and attached them to my awning roller bar. I got them the end of July and by the end of September the lights died. I was lucky enough to get a free replacement but because it was the end of the camping season I just put them in the camper for this year. Well, they went up on this Friday and worked. Saturday night the remote quit and nothing worked. I went out and bought a new battery-nothing! What am I doing wrong?? They are not wired in- they are plugged in-don't know if that makes any difference. Are most of you folks seasonal so you are not rolling them up into the awning? Or maybe I should try the ones on E-Bay, maybe a better supplier. Has anyone else had this many problems with there LED lights? I love the lights and really want to get a set to work (longer than a few trips!) Please help!

Old 05-20-2013, 07:30 PM   #1293
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec1952 View Post
I have been following this thread since last year and need some advice. I bought these LED lights last year (from Amazon-the dealer was LED wholesalers) and attached them to my awning roller bar. I got them the end of July and by the end of September the lights died. I was lucky enough to get a free replacement but because it was the end of the camping season I just put them in the camper for this year. Well, they went up on this Friday and worked. Saturday night the remote quit and nothing worked. I went out and bought a new battery-nothing! What am I doing wrong?? They are not wired in- they are plugged in-don't know if that makes any difference. Are most of you folks seasonal so you are not rolling them up into the awning? Or maybe I should try the ones on E-Bay, maybe a better supplier. Has anyone else had this many problems with there LED lights? I love the lights and really want to get a set to work (longer than a few trips!) Please help!

I have two inputs and they are only guess work since I did not put mine in the roller channel; nor do I know which of the two types of LED tape you have.

What both types have in common:

They are printed circuits with surface mounted components.
The controller is neither water resistance nor water proof.

One type of tape is only water resistant (the flat one) and the other (rubber enclosed and "D" shaped in cross section) is water proof.

As to why yours are failing and the permanent wall mount folks are having good luck; I can only suppose that rolling up that circuit board with the awning is putting pressure on the exposed edge (the one against the awning) and that is bending the circuit board in the short direction and breaking the surface mounted LEDs/resistors from the back plane.

Another possible answer is that the LED strips are not "Murphy Proof." It is not only possible to hook up the LED strip upside down (and destroy it); but hook up the controller backwards and destroy it. There is no reverse current protection at all in either device.

You can try to see if the LEDs are becoming disconnected by pressing on the surface mounted LEDs in the a single cut section (closest to the power connector) and see if you can get that section to light.

Of course if the controller is blown that won't work.

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2013, 09:23 AM   #1294

Tape update on Silicone strip

As previously reported our Dream 5050 with 6803 chip strip is encased in a silicone sleeve. I had tried the 3M super duper exterior tape and it just slid right off the silicone sleeve.

Solution: Laid the strip out on a flat surface and put two beads of silicone sealant on. Immediately pressed the 3m tape onto that smoothing any silicone sealant that pressed out along the sides. I let that set up two days.

Installed to the underside of the awning track pressing into place. Put extra silicone sealant on both ends. Seems to have stuck on real well.

They look great.
Days camped 2012 - 14 (not enough); Days camped 2013 - 41 (May - 3; June-16; July-10; Aug.-12) Still not enough...
Days camped 2014 - 23
QuietTimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 10:10 AM   #1295

cutting strip lights

I purchased some led strip lights. The description on ebay says they can be cut. The package they came in says they can be cut. Where do I cut them?

5M 3528 RGB Waterproof Flexible Strip 300 LED 44 Key IR Remote Power Supply | eBay
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07885.jpg
Views:	117
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	31117   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC07887.jpg
Views:	145
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	31118  
Old 05-22-2013, 10:26 AM   #1296

Look closely and you will see a double row of copper connects. Between the rows there is usually a tiny pair of scissors. Cut there between the rows. Every few feet instead of the double row of copper connects you will see that they have joined the strips and there will be solder there.
Days camped 2012 - 14 (not enough); Days camped 2013 - 41 (May - 3; June-16; July-10; Aug.-12) Still not enough...
Days camped 2014 - 23
Old 05-22-2013, 11:26 AM   #1297

The seller on ebay replied to my question of where to cut them. He said they can't be cut. But I boldly cut where you suggested (no small scissors markings though) and they work great. Thanks for the help.
Old 05-22-2013, 11:39 AM   #1298

No problem. I took a 5M strip of 3528 white and cut into four sections. Then soldered wires between. Each section is installed on a aluminum support in the pass thru storage and then connected to a switch. So cutting them is no problem as long as you get good connection.

If you cut the end away from the controller connection and want them outside make sure to put some clear silicone on the cut end to seal from moisture. Enjoy!
Days camped 2014 - 23
Old 05-22-2013, 02:00 PM   #1299
Site Team - Lou

Between the copper connection strips (only).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	581913448_o.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	33.8 KB
ID:	31129  

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2013, 07:58 PM   #1300

Led Connectors

After you cut the LED's to the length you require, some folks try to use them in other places by soilering the ends...here is a much easier way and it looks nice too...
Attached Images

2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, led pad