Old 04-01-2014, 08:52 PM   #1671

I used the porch light housing, removed the bulb and socket, and attached power to that. I can turn them on and off using the porch light switch inside the camper. The controller is inside my porch light housing and the sensor sticks out the bottom. I got some very flat wire molding and went from the porch light to the bottom of the awning to run my wires to the lights.

Greg

2015 Nights camped: 21
2014 Nights camped: 18
2013 Nights camped: 26
grege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 08:57 PM   #1672

Exactly the Same

did ours the same exact way, has worked well no problems, good job!

Quote:
Originally Posted by grege View Post
I used the porch light housing, removed the bulb and socket, and attached power to that. I can turn them on and off using the porch light switch inside the camper. The controller is inside my porch light housing and the sensor sticks out the bottom. I got some very flat wire molding and went from the porch light to the bottom of the awning to run my wires to the lights.

Greg

2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 06:01 AM   #1673
Who Dares, Wins

Ok, so I am not going to lie... I have NOT gotten through the 100,000 pages yet just 100 or so... Those putting the left over scraps of LEDs in your compartments / pantries, how are you wiring them for power and color illumination? Do they need their own power supplies / control boxes separate from the lights on the awning? Or are they spliced in some which way? -Pat

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 08:52 AM   #1674

One Bulb Install

the led lights can be a little over whelming at first glance. I would start off with one simple bulb and socket along with two wires for dc install. hook one end to the positive terminal of your battery and the other to the negative side. The light bulb should light up...LEDS ARE JUST THAT SIMPLE, think of all those led dots as one light bulb, they all share the same wire for power. Place an on-off switch in one of the wires to break they circuit, that's all there is to it..

Quote:
Originally Posted by doc73 View Post
Ok, so I am not going to lie... I have NOT gotten through the 100,000 pages yet just 100 or so... Those putting the left over scraps of LEDs in your compartments / pantries, how are you wiring them for power and color illumination? Do they need their own power supplies / control boxes separate from the lights on the awning? Or are they spliced in some which way? -Pat
2012 Jeep Compass Limited
1985 S-10 One Owner:
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:35 PM   #1675

Quote:

Greg
Pictures?

Thanks

2011 F150 SuperCrew 5.0 4x4
2012 Flagstaff 27BESS
pappcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2014, 02:38 PM   #1676

Quote:

Greg
My porch light is in the middle of the trailer. Do I have to re wire the led strip to accommodate this since the led wiring starts at the end of the strip?
Old 04-02-2014, 03:30 PM   #1677

Quote:
Originally Posted by pappcam View Post
Pictures?

Thanks
I'm not in town right now with Spring Break. I looked on my phone but all I had was a video of the lights changing. I'll try and get some when I get back.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:36 PM   #1678

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjs2000z View Post
My porch light is in the middle of the trailer. Do I have to re wire the led strip to accommodate this since the led wiring starts at the end of the strip?
Mine is like that too. My LED lights had a short wire on each end that the factory soldered. (If not you can solder to the strip.) I cut the strip so I could use those wires in the middle. I also bought this piece that I used to go from the controller up my wire mold.

1pcs 1M RGB Extension Cable Wire Connector 4pin for SMD 5050 RGB LED Strip Light | eBay

I cut that wire to the length I needed and soldered the bare end to the wires from the LED strip after cutting off the connector. The other end then plugged into the controller.

Sorry I don't have pictures. I can try and get some when I get back in town.
Old 04-02-2014, 03:51 PM   #1679

Quote:
Mine is like that too. My LED lights had a short wire on each end that the factory soldered. (If not you can solder to the strip.) I cut the strip so I could use those wires in the middle. I also bought this piece that I used to go from the controller up my wire mold.

1pcs 1M RGB Extension Cable Wire Connector 4pin for SMD 5050 RGB LED Strip Light | eBay

I cut that wire to the length I needed and soldered the bare end to the wires from the LED strip after cutting off the connector. The other end then plugged into the controller.

Sorry I don't have pictures. I can try and get some when I get back in town.
Yes pictures would be great
Old 04-03-2014, 10:17 AM   #1680
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
the led lights can be a little over whelming at first glance. I would start off with one simple bulb and socket along with two wires for dc install. hook one end to the positive terminal of your battery and the other to the negative side. The light bulb should light up...LEDS ARE JUST THAT SIMPLE, think of all those led dots as one light bulb, they all share the same wire for power. Place an on-off switch in one of the wires to break they circuit, that's all there is to it..
I know how to "wire" them per se... But let me re-phrase my questions since I think I might not have been clear. When people are using the scraps for their step lights and compartments, do they all need their own control / power supply (if using the RGB LEDs) or are people just purchasing the single color lights for this usage. Or are people running the wires back to the one control box.

I have blue LEDs that came from the factory but might want to add the RGB. I would use the scraps to add in my compartments and pantry.

Pat, Jen & Heather... Oh yeah and our trained attack trailer cat, Cinnamon-EOW 11/22/2017
2015 ChevyHD D-Max
2018 Artic Wolf 315tbh8
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, led pad