Old 04-07-2015, 05:28 PM   #1851

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirt_Farmer View Post
Howdy all, yes I read every post in this epic thread over the last few days. The only thing I haven't seen totally addressed is tape length, will I have enough light with a 16.4' strip centered under my 20' awning? I am thinking a 300led 5050 single color in blue tied into my blue lights in the outdoor kitchen. It would be awesome to find a blue/white set and tie in to both switches out there. White on when reading/eating/playing games and blue for ambient background lighting.

Thanks, Jeff
You could do that easy enough with a 2 position switch. Buy a RGB strand of 5050's and wire one side of the switch to the blue wire and the other side to red,green, blue which is what makes the white. You might add a diode to the blue wire so power only goes one way with no feedback.

Old 04-07-2015, 05:35 PM   #1852

No problem

Me? I wouldn't worry about the missing 4 feet of led strip, I would center the 16' strip leaving 2 feet unlighted at each end, plenty of light.

However you can splice the strips together. There are cut/splice points in most of the led strips and connectors made to splice two pieces.

Or buy two 16' strips and cut them back to 10' each and locate the controller in the center above your door.

I read about the first 50 pages and then jumped neat the end and read another 20 or so pages. I'll be putting my controller back out and reconnect in the next couple of weeks to make sure my strip is still working. Camper has been in inside storage all winter so there will be a few things to check out in the next few weeks.

Old 04-07-2015, 06:04 PM   #1853

Thanks all, I can't think its worth buying a second strip for 4'.

I just found these

Amazon.com: SUPERNIGHT 16.4ft RGBW Color Changing LED Strip Light Kit, With 5050 300leds Waterproof RGBW LED Flexible Lighting, Controller with 40-button Remote and 12V 5A Power Supply, White Roll LED Tape: Home Improvement

I need to figure out if I can wire them up just white/blue. I really just want to wire them to the two switches in the os kitchen, I don't want to worry about another remote and waterproofing the controller.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:09 PM   #1854

Don't think you can do that

I don't think you can have either white or blue unless you have two controllers and turn on either white or blue. You can change the colors with the remote and have white or blue but putting them on a separate switch will require two separate strings of lights, one blue and one white.
Old 04-07-2015, 06:41 PM   #1855

You can choose the color you want with the remote - either a single color or the multi setting

You can dim them and set to flash or steady as well

Make sure you get the multi function remote with lots of buttons on it for these options....some have a basic remote and do not allow setting your own function
Old 04-07-2015, 06:58 PM   #1856

The LEDs I linked to are half white LEDs,half rgb LEDs. I'm sure I can control the white with a switch, just not sure how they control the rgb part, if it has separate wires like the normal rgb, I can just wire 12v to a single color.
Old 04-07-2015, 07:03 PM   #1857

I buy rolls from superbrightleds.com 16.4 feet worth!! Needless to say my gold wing glows.............. and now the camper will be next.

2006 Honda Goldwing
2012 Toyota Tundra DC
2015 Cherokee Grey wolf 19RR Limited
bluewoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2015, 10:28 AM   #1858

FYI this is what the strip will look like. This is a 16.4' strip under a 21' awning, obviously not centered but you get the idea:

One of these days I'll get around to adding another partial strip to have complete coverage.
Old 04-08-2015, 06:40 PM   #1859

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nick M View Post
I don't think you can have either white or blue unless you have two controllers and turn on either white or blue. You can change the colors with the remote and have white or blue but putting them on a separate switch will require two separate strings of lights, one blue and one white.
That is incorrect the the led strand has a 4 contacts red, green, blue and 12v. So you can just send 12 and ground to the blue lead and have blue lights and if you send 12v and ground red,green blue you will have white.
Old 04-09-2015, 08:44 AM   #1860

Yep, what Hornnumb2 said. Reading the specs on the rbgw lights, looks like the have 5 contacts. One for each color (red,green,blue,&white) and a ground. I'm going to order them and try it out. I also want to put them in a track so I need to figure out what I need there.

Thanks,
Jeff

2008 Wildcat 32QBBS(your pregnant again), 2004 Wildcat 29BHBP (oooh twins), 2000 Travel Supreme (pre kids)
Dirt_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, led pad