Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-01-2012, 08:45 PM   #481
CRZ

For the $30 I paid I'm not to worried about if they fail. The real question is how long before they do fail. I have the led's in the awning channel, and the controller in the awning arm. I never did any kind of waterproofing what so ever. The led's however are waterproof just not the connector or controller. We had lots of heavy rains for weeks with no controller issues. The only problem so far was one connector pin rusted/broke off. I wanted to install a different connector anyways. Here are some pictures.

Click image for larger version

Name:	image-1287359820.jpg
Views:	284
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	17406

Name:	image-2669396909.jpg
Views:	293
Size:	37.1 KB
ID:	17407
CRZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2012, 10:58 PM   #482

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec1952
After reading all the posts and all the hype on these lights mine finally arrived. I ordered mine from Amazon and my first concern is it says they are not waterproof. Now-I am totally confused as to how you mount the remote sensor and the converter. Where do you put all this stuff!!?? I have a Rockwood Roo 19 w/13' awning. Right now I have boxed everything up and am contemplating sending everything back. If anyone can give me some input/pictures as to how to do this I would appreciate it. Also, I can't even figure out all the buttons on the remote. I'm beginning to think that the white Xmas lights for 3.99 at the Xmas Tree Shop are a GREAT deal! Please Help!
I mounted a strip of Velcro on the awning tube and another on the converter box. The box mounts on the awning tube under the awning. This way there is minimal water contact. No problems as of yet.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	image-3196548035.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	39.1 KB
ID:	17409  
1999 Dodge Durango (Retired TT)
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 4x4
wagon52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2012, 03:22 PM   #483

I have a Harmony remote that I use with my TVs and Jensen stereo ... It is now also programmed to operate my LED lights. Full functionality as far as I can tell.
dezeldad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 03:54 AM   #484

okay, so now i'm nervous... i want to get the wire into the trailer to attach it to a switch. But i have no idea how to safely drill through the fiberglass exterior and fish through the styrofoam insulation in the panelized construction. nor do i know how to get to a ground inside the trailer. I was going to take the wire to where the amber porch light switch is. but again, not knowing how i should attempt any of this. This is all on my rockwood roo 19. any advice or pointers to other threads would be gladly taken.
indy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:04 AM   #485

LED lights

What do you do with the 4 pig tails that are exposed on one end of the light strips? Can you cut them off?
dec1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 05:31 AM   #486
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec1952 View Post
What do you do with the 4 pig tails that are exposed on one end of the light strips? Can you cut them off?
Yes, just make sure you cut at the "cut points."
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:11 AM   #487

I want to do these lights but am undecided on 150 leds per meter @36 watts or the 300 leds @72 watts....or the 3528's and not the 5050????
Not looking for area light just some cool ambient lighting.Opinions,thoughts please.
grandpopsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 07:13 AM   #488

Im not sure, my supplier just re shipped mine 2 days ago....

Total nights camped in 2013: 38
tomblakeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2012, 08:46 AM   #489
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrkd View Post
I wanted to mention for everyone. If you search in Ebay for "waterproof led 5050 rgb" and sort by distance, you should be able to find a few USA sellers. I did, yes, I paid more then the 22.00, but less then Amazon, I think I paid 27.00, they came from Chicago in about 3 days, they have the 3m tape on back, and are look identical to the other lights. they did NOT come with the 110 adapter, they did come with the controller and remote, but I think most of us are wiring these into the 12Volt system on the camper, so who cares. The same seller did have a 110 adapter for a few more $$. Radio shack could also hook someone up with an adapter, though not sure what the cost would be.

I was happy to pay the additional 5.00. I called it expedited shipping.

Highlight 5M 5050 SMD RGB LED Strip 300 LEDs Waterproof DC12V + 24Key IR Remote | eBay
I also decided to give these guys a try Wednesday night. I went ahead and got the 110V power supply with mine for $29.99, free shipping. I'll let everyone know how they work and if I have any problems with the seller.

They should be here next week, according to the emails I have gotten so far from the seller.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:10 AM   #490

Does anyone know how these 5050 lights compare to the similar dometic lights that they want more than $200 for? Is just price or is there something that warrants the huge price difference?
2003 Four Winns Funship 214 Deckboat - Hawaiian Breeze
Av8orLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 10:51 AM   #491

Put my lights in this weekend, a real hit w/ my camping buddies!
Mike001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:02 PM   #492
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrkd View Post
I wanted to mention for everyone. If you search in Ebay for "waterproof led 5050 rgb" and sort by distance, you should be able to find a few USA sellers. I did, yes, I paid more then the 22.00, but less then Amazon, I think I paid 27.00, they came from Chicago in about 3 days, they have the 3m tape on back, and are look identical to the other lights.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmtire View Post
I also decided to give these guys a try Wednesday night. I went ahead and got the 110V power supply with mine for $29.99, free shipping. I'll let everyone know how they work and if I have any problems with the seller.

They should be here next week, according to the emails I have gotten so far from the seller.
I got these in the mail awhile ago and they are sitting on my desk. Very fast shipping.

Plugged them in to test, and had to fiddle with the connections to get them to work. Will definitely need to tape the connections up, once installed. They look good, and can't wait to install them on the awning.

Who knows, may get another set to put in one of the windows here at the shop to draw attention at night. Of course, it could draw the attention of someone wanting them, and busting my window out to get em.

A big Thanks to everyone here, and their advice.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 05:32 PM   #493

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriBoy01 View Post
Thanks! If you dont mind post the pics when you get a chance and I will check them out.

Not sure if you are still looking this thread put here is one pic I took of how I did mine.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20120804_235159.jpg
Views:	380
Size:	42.2 KB
ID:	17588  
Old 08-06-2012, 07:01 PM   #494

LED lights in awning

I bought a set of these LED lights on Amazon. I cannot for the life of me figure out how you folks got them to slide into the awning track. Number 1-they slide in sideways-not facing out. And number two when I get a few feet in, they start falling out. What holds them in? Is there a trick to this? If anyone cvan give me any info soon I would appreciate it. Otherwise I will probably be sending them back. (By the way-we have a Rockwood Roo 19 Manual Awning). Does the sticky tape hold up well? I guess that would be my next option?
dec1952 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:39 PM   #495
Site Team - Lou

Mine is stuck under the awning track on the camper's wall.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCF0750.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	55.1 KB
ID:	17593   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1052.jpg
Views:	227
Size:	44.8 KB
ID:	17594   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF1054.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	17595  
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 07:57 PM   #496

I'm going to have to move the plug. I had the plugs taped to the awning roller but after a few trips have noticed a definite mark in the awning fabric. Not sure if this is a great concern but I figured I would cut off the one connector completely and move the other side so it hangs out from under the canvas.
1999 Dodge Durango (Retired TT)
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 4x4
wagon52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 12:22 AM   #497

I ordered mine on 7-30-12 on eBay. They are Chinese, and they were processed through New York, NY on 8-5-12. Hopefully they show up soon, I'm excited to see how they work!

They are the 5050 waterproof with 24 button controller.

2012 Sandpiper 365SAQ
2008 F250 Lariat CCSB, Deleted and Tuned
mortal798 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:14 PM   #498

Mine arrived today, it has a 120vac transformer so I guess I will be splicing to tie it in to the 12vdc light in the storage area and do away with the 120 plug....

Herk,
Anything surprise you when you did this, Anything that needs special attention?
Md Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 07:42 PM   #499

Where are you getting you power from? I wanted to leave mine plugin and just turn them on when I wanted. I was going to mount them on the side of the TT at the top under the awning. I have the 12v set up. I thought about getting power from one of the light in th pass through. I have a connector that will fit the light socket. It is to low and far away from where I was going to mount my control. I wanted to come from inside the TT, to the outside under the awing. What do you think?
DougP47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 09:16 PM   #500

Md Jeff and DougP47.

I will take some pictures and get them posted as to how I did the install. My camping buddy and I both did the install this last weekend, and both had different challenges to work through. We both tied into the 12 volt system. We both have power awnings, though I am not sure that will make too much difference. I have a light in my passthrough storage. He did not. I will give you a visual of what we did and see if you can apply that toward your install.

First and foremost, I bought 15 feet of 4 pair wire from Amazon that I found with one of the led light strip sellers from amazon. I would suppose you could get wire locally as well. This was a 18-16 gauge 4 connector black, blue, green, red just like what comes with the strips. I also bought female and male plugs from amazon. Finally I bought 2 round power connectors from Radio Shack, along with a spool of wire to connect the round power plug.

With the light in the passthrough: I decided where my led power module would be mounted. I drilled a hole through the external camper into the storage area. I was unable to use the same hole the power awning used as it was higher then the passthrough. My power awning had a hole already in the bracket in two places, the lower of which was unused so I drilled through the camper, but not the awning bracket. I then ran the 4 connector wire through that hole and ran it along the awning arms inside the channel for the power to the awning motor all the way to the top. I left about 6 inches at the awning tube for connections. I mounted the led control box inside the pass through storage and ran the remote IR sensor out the hole. I then tapped into the 12 volt pass through light by removing the crimped wire nut and replaced it with a new one tapping the 12 volt. I cut a small spot out of the 12 volt light housing for these wires to run to the control box where I installed the round power connector from Radio Shack. Now I have 12 volts, I have the 4 connector wire outside, I have the control mounted inside where it's water tight, and I have the IR sensor in a spot I can live with. Now I installed the LED lights (I spliced 2 strings as my awning is 21 feet and each string is only 16.4) along my awning tube, where they face downward when the awning is fully extended. I used heat shrink where I spliced the two strings together so there is only a gap of about 1 LED light. I used the pre-wired connector of the LED lights, but wrapped it in white electrical tape to make it look clean and give it whatever UV protectant I could as the power awning wires have already discolored in less then 1 year. I wired a new connector I purchased on to the 4 connector wire. I wrapped that with white tape as well. Now after I run the awning out All I need to do is reach up and connect the two together and I can aim the remote at the awning bar mounted on the camper and I have lights. I wrapped the feed wire and the led connector each to the tube and awning ams respectfully with white electrical tape, and made them tight. This way, if a storm comes up at 3am, and my awning is out and I need to bring it in quickly, I can do so and the wires pull apart without damage. I tested this of course.

Now for the other install where we didn't have power in the passthrough. The majority of the install was the same. We got power from a light by the bed inside, ran the power wires tucked in behind some trim of the closet to the bottom where the closet meets the pass-through storage. Installed the round connector for power and connected the LED power control box. The rest of the install was the same.

We used kitchen and bath silicone caulk as they have a gloss white. I put a small dab as far down as the IR receiver would reach and pressed the receiver connector into it (not the receiver itself, but the larger connector head). That's holding great and the lights work perfectly.

If you are installing these LED's on the camper not on the awning bar, I think the install will be very similar, just not running the wire down the awning arms to the tube.

I will take pics, It's dark outside now, so I will see if I can get them posted tomorrow.

I hope this helps.
cmptrkd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, led pad