Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2012, 09:29 PM   #502
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougP47 View Post
Where are you getting you power from? I wanted to leave mine plugin and just turn them on when I wanted. I was going to mount them on the side of the TT at the top under the awning. I have the 12v set up. I thought about getting power from one of the light in th pass through. I have a connector that will fit the light socket. It is to low and far away from where I was going to mount my control. I wanted to come from inside the TT, to the outside under the awing. What do you think?
Having mounted mine under the rail on the trailer, I just built a small alum box for the controller, ran 2 wires along side the wires to the motor down the inside of the support on the trailer thru' the same hole and then tapped into the storage compartment light. Alum box was waterproofed with bathtub caulk and ir sensor was double sided taped down from the alum box.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:43 AM   #503
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by dec1952 View Post
I bought a set of these LED lights on Amazon. I cannot for the life of me figure out how you folks got them to slide into the awning track. Number 1-they slide in sideways-not facing out. And number two when I get a few feet in, they start falling out. What holds them in? Is there a trick to this? If anyone cvan give me any info soon I would appreciate it. Otherwise I will probably be sending them back. (By the way-we have a Rockwood Roo 19 Manual Awning). Does the sticky tape hold up well? I guess that would be my next option?
Yes, they do slide in sideways...which you have the lights face up or down (if you have the slot in your awning roller aimed towards the trailer). I had to not fully extend my awning, but keep it in just a hair.

My lights were kind of a snug fit in the track...so snug that when I went to pull them back out, I twisted something inside the light and shorted them out. You can see where all the circuits popped on one of the cut lines, so about the last fifth of my string is dead now.

I am either going to solder it back or buy a solderless splice connector for these kind of lights which is under $2. Problem is they want $7 just to ship it, on the site I first looked at.....and am not sure if the splice connecter would then fit into the awning slot. May have to end up taping them to the trailer or awning bracket anyway.

FYI, just be more careful than I was, when pulling, twisting, or tugging on them.

Excuse me while I go put on my overalls, grab a pitchfork, and stand out in the field by my house.....while singing my best imitation of the Hee-Haw "If it weren't for bad luck, I'd have no luck at all......gloom, despair, and agony on me" song.

Be back shortly.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 02:49 PM   #504

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmptrkd View Post
Here are the links to the Amazon wire and connectors I purchased.
Awesome post cmptrkd, I will be splicing the 12vdc connector from the 120vac power supply to my light power in the pass thru, I just ordered the extra wire and connectors from Amazon and it looks like I will wait for those to arrive before doing the "total" install. We are going to Va. Beach for a week starting the 17th of Aug and I will just use the 120vac plug and extension cord for now. Thanks for the links for the wire/connectors, definitely will make for a cleaner hook up.

Jeff
Md Jeff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 03:47 PM   #505

I'm thinking of putting some of these on underneath our Sabre 31rlds.

The Sabre has a step light at the entrance steps. The step light is simply an amber clearance light mounted under the TT at the steps. It is operated by a switch mounted right inside the door.

Does anyone know if I can simply splice into the wires for it and be able to control power to the LEDs with the switch for the step light?
awjoker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 04:38 PM   #506

you would have to tie controller in to the amber lighting wire.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 06:03 PM   #507

As promised, here are the pics.

First is of control box. Notice I have the IR sensor wire extended through the hole as much as possible. I still need to screw the controller in.

Second is of awning mount. You can see where the wires come out of, my messy caulking job, but it's water tight.

Third is when the cover is over the wiring. You can see the IR sensor. Has good range, but of course requires line of sight. This wiring cover makes my caulk job not matter.

Fourth is of the power connector at the top. I wish I brought a ladder with me, and I could have gotten closer. You can see how I wrapped it all with white electrical tape.

Finally, this is a pic of the lights mounted on the awning bar. They would normally face downward, but I left the awning just shy of fully extended so I could get a better pic. I wish I would have taken one showing the two strips spliced together
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	led connector.jpg
Views:	242
Size:	59.4 KB
ID:	17715   Click image for larger version

Name:	wiring awning.jpg
Views:	263
Size:	48.0 KB
ID:	17716   Click image for larger version

Name:	IR sensor.jpg
Views:	231
Size:	48.4 KB
ID:	17717   Click image for larger version

Name:	power connector.jpg
Views:	226
Size:	55.0 KB
ID:	17718   Click image for larger version

Name:	lights on awning.jpg
Views:	219
Size:	49.4 KB
ID:	17719  

cmptrkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2012, 07:38 PM   #508

My plan is to just tuck the light strips up into the channel, with this done it's evident that the light will be in the channel and not facing out, for those who have done it this way is there any issues on the amount of light? They appear bright enough that it would still illuminate plenty but what about overheating?
Old 08-09-2012, 09:18 AM   #509
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Md Jeff
My plan is to just tuck the light strips up into the channel, with this done it's evident that the light will be in the channel and not facing out, for those who have done it this way is there any issues on the amount of light? They appear bright enough that it would still illuminate plenty but what about overheating?
Light is diminished some when all the way in the channel.
Therefore I pull mine out slightly to reveal the led .
You'll see once there installed what I mean.

Also don't slide them through the awning track push them in directly at the point there going .
Ron
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:24 AM   #510

WAAAAAAA I want my lights.... Im missin all the fun

Total nights camped in 2013: 38
tomblakeney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 09:54 AM   #511

I bought 1/2" ones from Ebay. I also ordered the clear 1/2" track in 3' lengths and used 3M outdoor two-side tape to attach em to the 5ver just under the awning mount. I will use velcro to attach the power cord to the awning arm when the awning is closed. They give just the right amount of light.

RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2012, 04:07 PM   #512

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Light is diminished some when all the way in the channel.
Therefore I pull mine out slightly to reveal the led .
You'll see once there installed what I mean.

Also don't slide them through the awning track push them in directly at the point there going .
Ron
Thanks for the tip, makes a world of difference getting advice from people who have already tackled it. I want them bright but not too bright. After you put yours in the channel, could you remove them if you wanted and mount them differently or one strike and you're out?
Old 08-09-2012, 04:16 PM   #513
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Md Jeff View Post
Thanks for the tip, makes a world of difference getting advice from people who have already tackled it. I want them bright but not too bright. After you put yours in the channel, could you remove them if you wanted and mount them differently or one strike and you're out?
Suggestion, temporarily mount them under the awning rail on the camper. It greatly simplifies the wiring and puts out light whether the awning is in or out and leaves the groove free for a sunshade.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:21 PM   #514

Just got my 5050 lights in, how do you plug the lights into the led controller? It looks like I have 2 female ends
2003 Four Winns Funship 214 Deckboat - Hawaiian Breeze
Av8orLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:47 PM   #515

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8orLou
Just got my 5050 lights in, how do you plug the lights into the led controller? It looks like I have 2 female ends
Av8orLou,

I ordered two separate sets from the same vendor and noticed that one sets controller had a female connector and the other came with a male connector. Otherwise they were the same.

Maybe yours got mixed up when packaging them
dezeldad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 01:52 PM   #516

There should of been a 4 pin connection to put the female ends together.

papap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 02:10 PM   #517

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
Suggestion, temporarily mount them under the awning rail on the camper. It greatly simplifies the wiring and puts out light whether the awning is in or out and leaves the groove free for a sunshade.
Thanks, that may be the answer until I figure a permanent install location
Old 08-10-2012, 02:12 PM   #518

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8orLou View Post
WoW, that stinks. Amazon.......
Old 08-10-2012, 03:00 PM   #519

Quote:
Originally Posted by papap
There should of been a 4 pin connection to put the female ends together.
Yeah I am going to see if I can find something at the electronic store to connect them
2003 Four Winns Funship 214 Deckboat - Hawaiian Breeze
Av8orLou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2012, 03:24 PM   #520
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8orLou View Post
They are both female ends. One should have shipped with a double male connector stuck in one socket.

I found out when I lost mine driving down the highway. I made a new one from a short piece of TELCO 4 wire. The solid wire is the right diameter for a good electrical connection.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, led pad