Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-04-2013, 10:39 PM   #861
Phat Phrog

Those all look so great!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:55 AM   #862

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Made BIG points with TOWTA when I added them inside the pantry along with a micro switch to turn them on when she opens the door.
Hi OldCoot,
I would like to do something similar in the bedroom wardrobes. Do you have any pics of that micro switch that you used for the door activation? I have seen many types while I have been researching this the last few days thinking how I might get it done.
Your install looks real nice with the strip lights and the door switch is over the top!
Thanks in advance
crunchman

PS. I remember a picture that you also posted the dusk to dawn switch for your step lights. I have power to my step wells now but not sure if I can run the lights on the folding steps. How did you run the wire on yours? just in the top of the well or on the steps themselves? It looks like the wires would bind up if placed on the steps themselves when folded for driving.
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:34 AM   #863
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
Hi OldCoot,
I would like to do something similar in the bedroom wardrooms. Do you have any pics of that micro switch that you used for the door activation?.... How did you run the wire on yours? just in the top of the well or on the steps themselves?...
Micro switch picture shows the one I used. Would have preferred one with a little arm on it so it would not be so sensitive to mounting location. This one works fine, just took a while to mount it. The step lights are on the top of the cutout and not hooked to the steps themselves. Power to them and the awning lights come from the factory step light and has a dusk to dawn electric eye on them mounted to the side of the step hanger(little light just to the right of the step hanger in the cutout) Can turn them off with the factory step light switch inside.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00026.jpg
Views:	158
Size:	31.9 KB
ID:	27105   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC00024.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	27.7 KB
ID:	27106   Click image for larger version

Name:	LED Step lights 1.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	31.2 KB
ID:	27108  
Old 04-05-2013, 06:18 AM   #864

Goshen Light Show

With everyone getting awning leds and interior leds, this is going to be a great light show come August..do I hear contest winners...
Attached Images

LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 06:23 AM   #865

Step Lights

Placed a set of LED's under my outside steps along with a small led light fixture on the interior steps..both controlled by a switch on the first riser inside the coach..makes for a great night light inside and out...

Quote:
Micro switch picture shows the one I used. Would have preferred one with a little arm on it so it would not be so sensitive to mounting location. This one works fine, just took a while to mount it. The step lights are on the top of the cutout and not hooked to the steps themselves. Power to them and the awning lights come from the factory step light and has a dusk to dawn electric eye on them mounted to the side of the step hanger(little light just to the right of the step hanger in the cutout) Can turn them off with the factory step light switch inside.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	P3050012.JPG
Views:	158
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	27110  
LKicklight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #866

Quote:
Hi OldCoot,
Thank you for the speedy reply.
I see the switch you are using. Does it have another contact on the door itself like an alarm contact or is there an eye in it?
What is the second pic you posted? Are you showing the power source for the switch?
The step lights look real nice. How long was the strip you had used?
I am going to mount 2 pcs for each well of 12" blue LED strips in my step well. One on top and one on the bar behind the second step. I figure that way I can avoid the folding step issue.
I already have the new interior switches installed with power to step well and to the awning lights. I will install the step lights and the awning lights this weekend. The weather should finally be warm enough for the 3M molding tape to stick. (pics to follow)
Thank you again in advance.
crunchman
Old 04-05-2013, 03:54 PM   #867

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKicklight View Post
Placed a set of LED's under my outside steps along with a small led light fixture on the interior steps..both controlled by a switch on the first riser inside the coach..makes for a great night light inside and out...
LKicklight,
The interior light and switch look nice!
Do you have exterior pics at night of the steps lit up? Would love to see them.
crunchman
Old 04-05-2013, 03:58 PM   #868
Engineer of Crazy Train

I saw this question asked, but didn't see an answer or just missed it. Has anyone put a hole and sealed it in the side of their unit?
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:13 PM   #869

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChooChooMan74 View Post
I saw this question asked, but didn't see an answer or just missed it. Has anyone put a hole and sealed it in the side of their unit?
If you have an electric awning?
On my Freedom Express...
I did it like Hurk did for the electric awning install. I did buy an extension cable to the controller, but Hurk soldered his. Either work for connection to the controller.

Follow wires from the Electric awning down the arm to where the wires go into the TT. (under the plastic wire covers.) I made sure the wires were out of the way, measured three times (in and out) and drilled a small pilot hole through the interior wall. I checked the location on the interior wall and drilled the larger hole. I did have to pick a big plug of mixed Styrofoam and caulking out of the hole from the exterior before I could drill through. Here are some pics of how I did my wires.
crunchman

The pics turned out sideways from the DS's Ipod. sorry!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Extension wire through the hole into the interior.jpg
Views:	172
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	27142   Click image for larger version

Name:	Extension cable running up the track with top cover in place.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	39.6 KB
ID:	27143   Click image for larger version

Name:	Wire caulked and hole sealed.jpg
Views:	178
Size:	47.1 KB
ID:	27144   Click image for larger version

Name:	IR sensor exposed with wire cover in place.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	38.9 KB
ID:	27145   Click image for larger version

Name:	LED controler mounted on interior wall - IR sensor wire on outside - B4 caulking.jpg
Views:	153
Size:	45.7 KB
ID:	27146  

Old 04-05-2013, 05:21 PM   #870
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
On my Freedom Express...
I did it like Hurk did for the electric awning install. I did buy an extension cable to the controller, but Hurk soldered his. Either work for connection to the controller.

Follow wires from the Electric awning down the arm to where the wires go into the TT. (under the plastic wire covers.) I made sure the wires were out of the way, measured three times (in and out) and drilled a small pilot hole through the interior wall. I checked the location on the interior wall and drilled the larger hole. I did have to pick a big plug of mixed Styrofoam and caulking out of the hole from the exterior before I could drill through. Here are some pics of how I did my wires.
crunchman

Nice job... looks nice n neat. Thanks for sharing
grayfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:23 PM   #871
Phat Phrog

Quote:

Made BIG points with TOWTA when I added them inside the pantry along with a micro switch to turn them on when she opens the door.
OC there you go being amazing again! Niiiice!!!
RVChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:26 PM   #872
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Hi OldCoot,
Thank you for the speedy reply.
I see the switch you are using. Does it have another contact on the door itself like an alarm contact or is there an eye in it?

No, it is just an on/off micro switch wired to the normally On position, when the door closes it goes to Off
What is the second pic you posted? Are you showing the power source for the switch?
Yes, off the rear of the refrigerator
The step lights look real nice. How long was the strip you had used?
About 2'-2.5'

I am going to mount 2 pcs for each well of 12" blue LED strips in my step well. One on top and one on the bar behind the second step. I figure that way I can avoid the folding step issue.
I already have the new interior switches installed with power to step well and to the awning lights. I will install the step lights and the awning lights this weekend. The weather should finally be warm enough for the 3M molding tape to stick. (pics to follow)
Thank you again in advance.
crunchman
Hope this helps
Old 04-05-2013, 05:30 PM   #873

Quote:
Hope this helps
Yes it did, thank you for your time!
crunchman
Old 04-05-2013, 05:47 PM   #874
Engineer of Crazy Train

Quote:
On my Freedom Express...

crunchman

I have a manual awning. I have to drill my own holes. I think it won't be much of an issue.
Locomotive Engineer
Nights Camping --- 2015 - 19 Camped | Winterized -- 2014 -18
Come read my Camping Blogs
ChooChooMan74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 05:52 PM   #875
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by RVChick View Post
OC there you go being amazing again! Niiiice!!!
Love the fringe benefits and after 52+ yrs, need all the points I can get!
Old 04-05-2013, 08:48 PM   #876

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stanleyg View Post
I haven't installed this yet, but looking at your tt, you should be able to get power from you exterior door light. Just mount/stick the lights on the bottom side of the awning with the controller mounted by your door, run power from your outside light, and hide it with this, Wiremold/Legrand 12 ft. Cordmate II Kit, White-C210 at The Home Depot. This way, you will be able to turn it off from inside.
New here and just purchased my first TT. I was thinking that could connect it this way but wasn't quite sure.

Thanks
aabshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 04:51 AM   #877

Quote:
Originally Posted by aabshire View Post
New here and just purchased my first TT. I was thinking that could connect it this way but wasn't quite sure.

Thanks
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
There are many ways to connect these lights. Some of us have gone with a permanent install with a switch and others just plug them in to a 110V receptacle.
When you purchase the lights, just make sure you get the right kit. The are many examples of how to install these with product links in this topic.
Feel free to ask any questions.
crunchman
Old 04-06-2013, 05:35 AM   #878

Quote:
Hi,
Welcome to the forum.
There are many ways to connect these lights. Some of us have gone with a permanent install with a switch and others just plug them in to a 110V receptacle.
When you purchase the lights, just make sure you get the right kit. The are many examples of how to install these with product links in this topic.
Feel free to ask any questions.
crunchman
Thanks for the welcome crunchman.

I have been reading through this thread for a good while and I know which lights I want and want to go with a permanent install to the outside light. I have a manual awning and I was wondering about the control box, where would be the best place to mount this if I connect to the outside light. Here is the set I ordered: 5M 5050 SMD RGB LED Strip 300 LEDs Waterproof DC12V 44Key IR Remote Controller | eBay

Thanks
aabshire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 05:45 AM   #879

Quote:
Thanks for the welcome crunchman.

I have been reading through this thread for a good while and I know which lights I want and want to go with a permanent install to the outside light. I have a manual awning and I was wondering about the control box, where would be the best place to mount this if I connect to the outside light. Here is the set I ordered: 5M 5050 SMD RGB LED Strip 300 LEDs Waterproof DC12V 44Key IR Remote Controller | eBay

Thanks
aabshire,
I forgot who it was but... Someone posted a pic of the controller mounted inside the bezel of the exterior scare light. They drilled a small hole for the IR sensor to stick out of the bottom of the fixture. You would need to remove the light bulb for the scare light unless you switched it to an LED due to heat.
You could also build a waterproof box or just use Velcro. Depends on how permanent you want to go?
crunchman
Old 04-06-2013, 05:55 AM   #880
Site Team - Lou

Quote:

Thanks
Personally, I would be cautious about using wire mold on the exterior of the camper. One, it is an "inside" product and the self stick tape may not be weatherproof. Two, the snap on cover may hold inside, but might just blow off going down the highway.

Let me know how it works out if you go this route. I have an exterior camera project that is still "in my mind" that is looking for a wire solution.
Herk
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, led pad