Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-15-2012, 10:09 AM   #61
Senior Member
 
miatared's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Toronto
Posts: 704
I have a manual awning.

I stuck the waterproof light strip to the metal tube and tie-wrapped the end with the power connector, so it would not get undone, I angled the connected back under the awning to protect it from the elements. It stays there and does not interfere at all, it is very small.

I then stuck a piece of velcro to stick the controller and IR, under the the awning. I connect it to the light strip; I then connect to the power adapter , made all the cables the correct length, raise the awning and run it down the awning to connect it to the trailer.

Works like a charm, and yes the remote allows to change the light effects: fade in, fade out, blink, single colour, multi-colour and so on. Very nice.
__________________

__________________
Denis & Diane
2010 Sabre 31REDS
Ford F-250 2011
* Happy Campers *
miatared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:24 AM   #62
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Id have to look but can't you run wire down the tube like the motor wires?
I've thought about this and was going to chop off the
end of an ext cord and feed it through tube.
hard wire it at top and have controller inside basement.

Hard to describe I'll try to take pics of my idea tonight.
I lost all my install photos when my computer ate my chip.

This is what I did. I tapped power off the basement light; ran a 2 wire out along side the power wire for the motor. Up out the top and soldered on the pigtail power connector.

I thought about moving the control box inside, but then I would need to run 4 conductor wire up the arm and drill a hole for the IR remote.

The upper and lower plastic wire covers pop right out.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCF0726.jpg
Views:	415
Size:	46.0 KB
ID:	13826  
__________________

__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 10:36 AM   #63
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
My 4 wire socket is very flimsy and not weatherproof.
There is a warning not to plug the connector in backwards or it will fry the strip; so be careful.
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:14 AM   #64
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 48
Is one of the color options for lights white? Would assume so but just wanted to check.

thanks.
__________________
merlin66043 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 11:15 AM   #65
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
I see you marked it with an arrow.
Or was that factory Chinese?
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 01:49 PM   #66
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin66043 View Post
Is one of the color options for lights white? Would assume so but just wanted to check.

thanks.
Yes, there is white and it is bright white. Very nice at night and LED light supposedly does not attract bugs. (They say)

The arrow is mine and I could not find my silver paint pen when I had it up. The side of the black socket will get a mark when I do find it.
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:55 PM   #67
Senior Member
 
wagon52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The land of pleasant living
Posts: 186
Was wanting to tap into a 12v source somehow. Guess the awning motor power wire would be a source? Then taking the power box and slapping a piece of Velcro to it and the side of the camper under the awning. That way all I would have to do is plug in the power box and slap it to the side of the camper and still have the remote IR in the open. I am definitely not an electrical genius so does this make sense?

Also contemplating just sticking it to the side of the camper like Herk did as it seems easier than running wires down the awning arms. Just not sure how it would hold up in the elements and washing of the camper.
__________________
2012 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8312SS
2008 Rockwood Roo 21SS (History)
1981 Starcraft Galaxy 2108 (its gone)
1999 Dodge Durango (Retired TT)
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 4x4
wagon52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:38 PM   #68
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagon52 View Post
Was wanting to tap into a 12v source somehow. Guess the awning motor power wire would be a source? Then taking the power box and slapping a piece of Velcro to it and the side of the camper under the awning. That way all I would have to do is plug in the power box and slap it to the side of the camper and still have the remote IR in the open. I am definitely not an electrical genius so does this make sense?

Also contemplating just sticking it to the side of the camper like Herk did as it seems easier than running wires down the awning arms. Just not sure how it would hold up in the elements and washing of the camper.
No as the awning motor only has power when the awning is in transit.
You would have to route power from a 12 volt (always ON or switched) source through the existing hole where the motor wires are and trace it through the same path that the motor wire does.

I mounted the thing with velcro right now and will just plug it in while in camp. I plan to wrap it on EB tape and make it waterproof and let it stay there.
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:43 PM   #69
Senior Member
 
wagon52's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: The land of pleasant living
Posts: 186
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769

No as the awning motor only has power when the awning is in transit.
You would have to route power from a 12 volt (always ON or switched) source through the existing hole where the motor wires are and trace it through the same path that the motor wire does.

I mounted the thing with velcro right now and will just plug it in while in camp. I plan to wrap it on EB tape and make it waterproof and let it stay there.
So could I tap into the switch for the outside step light?
__________________
2012 Rockwood Signature Ultra Lite 8312SS
2008 Rockwood Roo 21SS (History)
1981 Starcraft Galaxy 2108 (its gone)
1999 Dodge Durango (Retired TT)
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 4x4
wagon52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 04:58 PM   #70
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by wagon52 View Post
So could I tap into the switch for the outside step light?
It would be a sloppy looking job with the wire running along the wall (IMO).

The easiest (that's my middle name) is to use a basement light and run it out to the motor or the wall following the motor wires.
__________________

__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
awning, led pad

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:05 AM.