Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-26-2013, 02:38 PM   #761
Owner/Operator
 
RodeoGeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 671
Herk,

I see that Oldcoot posted about using the Shop Scotch two sided tape to mount under the awning rail.

I also read that you used the tape that come on the LED Strips.

Have you had any problems with the OEM tape on the strips, or had to replace the tape?

I'm waiting for warmer weather before attaching, and will wipe the area with either alcohol or MEK before mounting.

RodeoGeorge
__________________

__________________
2013 Rockwood 8289WS
Mods: Central Vac, PI EMS-HW50C, 2025RV, (2) SCS225 Trojans, PD9260, Awning Remotes & LED Lights, Eliminators, External Water Filter,, Intellijacks
2008 RAM 3500 Cab&Chassis Hauler Bed, B&W Companion Hitch
All My Modifications are at this link:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 02:59 PM   #762
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoGeorge View Post
Herk,
I see that Oldcoot posted about using the Shop Scotch two sided tape to mount under the awning rail. I also read that you used the tape that come on the LED Strips.
Have you had any problems with the OEM tape on the strips, or had to replace the tape?
I'm waiting for warmer weather before attaching, and will wipe the area with either alcohol or MEK before mounting.
RodeoGeorge
Mine came with the 3M OEM tape also, but didn't last but about 3 or 4 days and started drooping. That's with I used the Scotch Outdoor 2 sided tape. It is useful in a lot of places also.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:20 PM   #763
Owner/Operator
 
RodeoGeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Mine came with the 3M OEM tape also, but didn't last but about 3 or 4 days and started drooping. That's with I used the Scotch Outdoor 2 sided tape. It is useful in a lot of places also.
Thanks OC.

Now the questions for you. Did you split the tape to reduce the width, or possibly install two sets of lights to use the entire 1" width?

My thoughts are that if I do not cut the tape down to about 1/2", with one light strip the exposed adhesive will be a dirt catcher.

I'll probably use the Scotch and do it once.

RodeoGeorge
__________________
2013 Rockwood 8289WS
Mods: Central Vac, PI EMS-HW50C, 2025RV, (2) SCS225 Trojans, PD9260, Awning Remotes & LED Lights, Eliminators, External Water Filter,, Intellijacks
2008 RAM 3500 Cab&Chassis Hauler Bed, B&W Companion Hitch
All My Modifications are at this link:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 03:55 PM   #764
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: Waynesville
Posts: 12,028
Buy the Good (3M Auto Trim Tape 1/2" wide) Auto Parts Store,No cutting in 1/2 required. Youroo!!
__________________
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 04:10 PM   #765
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoGeorge View Post
Thanks OC.

Now the questions for you. Did you split the tape to reduce the width, or possibly install two sets of lights to use the entire 1" width?

My thoughts are that if I do not cut the tape down to about 1/2", with one light strip the exposed adhesive will be a dirt catcher.

I'll probably use the Scotch and do it once.

RodeoGeorge
I used the 1" and split it on my bandsaw. Lowes only had the 1".
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:05 PM   #766
Senior Member
 
crunchman12001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Posts: 3,077
Hi,
Not sure on pricing but Amazon has it here. 1/2" x 15' for 7.22 plus shipping.
link: 3M 03614 Scotch-Mount 1/2" x 15' Molding Tape : Amazon.com : Automotive
crunchman
__________________
2017 Salem Villa Estate 395RET-
2011 Coachmen Freedom Express 295RLDS- Sold
2015 F-250 FX4
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #767
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Posts: 22
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cincy6 View Post
For those interested in getting them faster (I wanted them by Memorial day weekend), I ordered these:

Waterproof 150 Color Changing SMD5050 LED Lighting Strip Kit RGB 16.4ft, 2038kit
Amazon.com: Waterproof 150 Color Changing SMD5050 LED Lighting Strip Kit RGB 16.4ft, 2038kit: Home Improvement


on Amazon on Saturday and received today (Monday) using Amazon Prime 2 day shipping free trial. Total cost was 39.00 including AC adaptor. Paid a little more but received them much faster.
Curious how these work for you, I saw those too and the reviews are not that good for them.
__________________
Greg

2012 Tundra Crew Max 5.7L iForce V8 w/Equal-i-zer 10K
2013 Shamrock 23IKSS
Nights camped in 2012 - 32; 2013 - 31; 2014 - 22 so far
greg.thecoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:06 PM   #768
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoGeorge View Post
Herk,

I see that Oldcoot posted about using the Shop Scotch two sided tape to mount under the awning rail.

I also read that you used the tape that come on the LED Strips.

Have you had any problems with the OEM tape on the strips, or had to replace the tape?

I'm waiting for warmer weather before attaching, and will wipe the area with either alcohol or MEK before mounting.

RodeoGeorge
I wiped the underside of the awning channel with a 100% alcohol pad (the kind they use for shots) and after it dried just stuck up the OEM tape.
Still solid.
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:52 PM   #769
Senior Member
 
JDWeir's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: In the desert
Posts: 149
X2 on the OEM tape. I cleaned the area and used the OEM tape and the strip is still solidly attached. I did use some silicon on the ends to provide a little extra holding power.
__________________
TV, 2000 Dodge RAM 2500 Quad cab short bed, Cummins 5.9, Edge Comp, Gauges.
5ver, 2011 Palamino Sabre 31 RETS.
JDWeir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2013, 06:57 PM   #770
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,169
Quote:
Originally Posted by JDWeir View Post
X2 on the OEM tape. I cleaned the area and used the OEM tape and the strip is still solidly attached. I did use some silicon on the ends to provide a little extra holding power.
Come to think about it I put goop on the "up wind" end as well (but just to hold the connections from flopping around) but it can also keep the up wind end from unrolling.
__________________

__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
awning, led pad

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:47 AM.