Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-31-2013, 12:12 AM   #791
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoGeorge View Post

Grounding to the steps would be "iffy". We don't know how good an electrical connection there is between the step frame and the RV frame.

You can try it, and if the light do not operate, or are erratic, you most likely have a poor ground.

As was just mentioned, best to go to the Frame itself and avoid potential difficulties.

RodeoGeorge
Yep!
__________________

__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:17 AM   #792
Senior Member
 
crunchman12001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Posts: 3,072
RodeoGeorge, f1100turbo,
Thank you for the guidance on hooking these lights up. I will hook the ground to the frame of the Trailer. I will get them on tomorrow if it does not rain.
Thanks again,
crunchman
__________________

__________________
2017 Salem Villa Estate 395RET-
2011 Coachmen Freedom Express 295RLDS- Sold
2015 F-250 FX4
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:18 AM   #793
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,336
Quote:
Originally Posted by crunchman12001 View Post
RodeoGeorge, f1100turbo,
Thank you for the guidance on hooking these lights up. I will hook the ground to the frame of the Trailer. I will get them on tomorrow if it does not rain.
Thanks again,
crunchman
Your welcome.
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:20 AM   #794
Senior Member
 
QCCowboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Illinois
Posts: 880
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Yep!
12 volt is extremely finicky with ground wires. I agree with grounding to the frame. Make sure that you also sand down any paint/debris/etc. first. Don't just drill in a self-tap screw and expect a proper ground.
__________________
Jack of all trades - Master of none
2012 F350 CC DRW - 6.7L PSD
2014 Sabre 36QBOK
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:28 AM   #795
Senior Member
 
crunchman12001's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Chagrin Falls, Ohio
Posts: 3,072
Quote:
Originally Posted by QCCowboy View Post
12 volt is extremely finicky with ground wires. I agree with grounding to the frame. Make sure that you also sand down any paint/debris/etc. first. Don't just drill in a self-tap screw and expect a proper ground.
QCCowboy,
Thanks for the tip, I was just going to use the self tap screw.
I will get down to bare metal for the wire lug to hit it too.
crunchman
__________________
2017 Salem Villa Estate 395RET-
2011 Coachmen Freedom Express 295RLDS- Sold
2015 F-250 FX4
crunchman12001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 02:35 AM   #796
Owner/Operator
 
RodeoGeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 671
I ordered a "RF" remote controller for the LED Awning Lights. It arrived today, and it was an easy substitute for the 44 Key Controller that I originally installed.

I wanted to have a system where I didn't have to point the Remote at an IR receiver. The jury is still out on how it's operating. It seems to be intermittent at times, especially when I remove the 12V input power and then restore it.

I'll report more after I have played with it some more. It does not have as many bells and whistles as the 44 Key, but enough to suffice, IF it works reliably.

I've ordered a second unit for the rear awning lights, and it will be interesting to see if the second unit exhibits the same bugs.

Here's a link:

Wireless RF Touch Panel LED RGB Dimmer Remote Controller 12V for RGB LED Strip | eBay

RodeoGeorge
__________________
2013 Rockwood 8289WS
Mods: Central Vac, PI EMS-HW50C, 2025RV, (2) SCS225 Trojans, PD9260, Awning Remotes & LED Lights, Eliminators, External Water Filter,, Intellijacks
2008 RAM 3500 Cab&Chassis Hauler Bed, B&W Companion Hitch
All My Modifications are at this link:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:23 AM   #797
Member
 
tclcyl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: South Georgia
Posts: 80
I am a little late to the party, but just placed my order for them as well. Can't wait to try them out when they arrive and on our next camping trip!
__________________
tclcyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 07:28 AM   #798
Site Team - Lou
 
Herk7769's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: South Eastern PA
Posts: 21,156
Thank you for the tip. I see a transmitter replacement in my future.

I like the idea of being able to shut off the awning light from inside with the remote.
Herk

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodeoGeorge View Post
I ordered a "RF" remote controller for the LED Awning Lights. It arrived today, and it was an easy substitute for the 44 Key Controller that I originally installed.

I wanted to have a system where I didn't have to point the Remote at an IR receiver. The jury is still out on how it's operating. It seems to be intermittent at times, especially when I remove the 12V input power and then restore it.

I'll report more after I have played with it some more. It does not have as many bells and whistles as the 44 Key, but enough to suffice, IF it works reliably.

I've ordered a second unit for the rear awning lights, and it will be interesting to see if the second unit exhibits the same bugs.

Here's a link:

Wireless RF Touch Panel LED RGB Dimmer Remote Controller 12V for RGB LED Strip | eBay

RodeoGeorge
__________________

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 09:58 AM   #799
Owner/Operator
 
RodeoGeorge's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Chino Valley, AZ
Posts: 671
Quote:
Originally Posted by herk7769 View Post
Thank you for the tip. I see a transmitter replacement in my future.

I like the idea of being able to shut off the awning light from inside with the remote.
Herk

Hold off a bit Herk. As I said, I'm not satisfied with the reliability at this point. If the second unit I ordered responds more reliably, then it's just a defective unit and I'll seek replacement.

Second unit is due here on the 4th, so only a few days away.

Hindsight being better, I'm thinking that the metal enclosure may be an issue, as there is not antenna outside the box. I've ordered 3 other models of an RF Remote to test as well, some with plastic case and less expensive.

RodeoGeorge
__________________
2013 Rockwood 8289WS
Mods: Central Vac, PI EMS-HW50C, 2025RV, (2) SCS225 Trojans, PD9260, Awning Remotes & LED Lights, Eliminators, External Water Filter,, Intellijacks
2008 RAM 3500 Cab&Chassis Hauler Bed, B&W Companion Hitch
All My Modifications are at this link:
http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ons-36212.html
RodeoGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2013, 12:12 PM   #800
Member
 
Stanleyg's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Posts: 77
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryand View Post
After reading tons on this... Has there been anyone who installed with a manual awning and did a perm install by drilling a hole in the side wall and pulling power from somewhere?
I haven't installed this yet, but looking at your tt, you should be able to get power from you exterior door light. Just mount/stick the lights on the bottom side of the awning with the controller mounted by your door, run power from your outside light, and hide it with this, Wiremold/Legrand 12 ft. Cordmate II Kit, White-C210 at The Home Depot. This way, you will be able to turn it off from inside.
__________________

__________________
Stan, Wanda, Sheray, Alex, Nicky, and Macky(the Chorky).
2013 Prime Time Avenger 33BHS
Stanleyg is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
awning, led pad

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:47 AM.