Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-18-2015, 10:35 PM   #1921

Quote:
Originally Posted by bagged123 View Post
I just ordered the LED string from Amazon, and they have no tape, adhesive to hang them with to my TT. What are you guys using to attach the string, etc. to your TT? I can only find dbl sided tape by scotch and it won't stick to the casing of the lights.

any thoughts or suggestions on what to use
I installed mine directly under the awning on the trailer for protection. I didn't think the factory tape was strong enough so used 1" 3M dbl sided tape and cut in half which is the same width as the light strip. Works great. Been almost a year no problem. I bought another light strip recently for inside and I peeled the entire ddl sided tape off thinking it was the film. Ruined it. The light strip tape is very thin and cheap quality.Had to get the 3M dbl sided tape.
paro4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2015, 10:28 AM   #1922

LED Awning Lights Installation Mini Lite 2503S

I read this entire thread to get ideas on how to install my lights and how I wanted them to function. Lots of great ideas. I boiled them down to what would work for me and my Mini Lite 2503S and thought that I should share my results. My installation had to meet certain criteria. First the lights needed to work if my awning is stored or deployed. Second I did not want to have to connect or disconnect them each time I used them and third they had to run on 12VDC so that I could use them when I boondock. Since I wanted the lights to work no matter if my awning was rolled up or extended then I had to install them underneath the rail that the awning is attached to. If I installed them on the camper wall then most of the light would shine on the awning when it is rolled up. I installed them using the factory adhesive and so far they are still attached. I used a tie wrap mount on each end to help keep the ends from coming detached.

[IMG][/IMG]

Make sure that the wire goes up and over the channel so that it does not get sheared when the awing retracts.

[IMG][/IMG]

Ran the 4 conductor wire down the same track that the awning power wires use and followed them using the same hole into the storage compartment. Couldn't find a clean way to get 12V power so I just ran my 12V wire back out the same hole, down the side of the camper and underneath. I attached this wire directly to the terminal block where the battery wires connect to the circuit breaker. Used tie wrap mounts to hold the wire in place. If they start to come off I will drill holes and use pop rivets.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

I used this wifi controller to control my lights.

Amazon.com: Cooligg Wifi Wireless RGB LED Strip Controller for iOS iPhone iPad Android Smartphone Tablet: Home Improvement

I have an app on my iPhone that I use to control the wifi controller. It does not have as many functions as the infrared remote but it has enough for me.

Looks like I need to straighten the controller but I cannot see it when the door is closed

Daytime awning deployed

Daytime awning rolled up

You would think that when they installed the porch light that they would have tried to center it over the window. I laugh every time I look at it.

Plenty of light at night.
sjones61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 06:54 AM   #1923
Summer2Go

If you wire it into the camper lights that already work on your battery, then you have lights when you are boon docking?

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:11 AM   #1924
Wayne & Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer2Go View Post
If you wire it into the camper lights that already work on your battery, then you have lights when you are boon docking?

Yes indeed - the lights work great off of a 12 volt power source.

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2011 Ford F250 King Ranch 4x2 Diesel, added springs
Nights camped: 2014 - 32; 2013 - 23
Wayne & Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2015, 07:14 AM   #1925
Wayne & Kim

Good job sjones61! The lights look great, and your post was very instructional and informative with the visual aids along the way.

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Old 07-22-2015, 12:33 PM   #1926
Summer2Go

I have my lights plugging into the outside electrical outlet for now. Is there an easy way to get them to connect to the battery from the underside of the trailer? I don't want to drill holes in anything, and most times we will use them at a campground with electricity.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:40 PM   #1927
Summer2Go

I am not very knowledgable about electricity, batteries, and such, but sjones61 do you have a picture of the 'terminal block' where you connected to the battery?

Old 07-22-2015, 01:23 PM   #1928

I don't have a photograph of mine but it is actually an inline circuit breaker. I connected the ground of my 12VDC wire to the negative terminal of the battery and the positive wire to the downstream side (side that the battery cable is NOT attached to) of the circuit breaker. Not sure of your setup but if you follow your positive battery cable under the camper you may find something like this.

I have an inline fuse to install between the circuit breaker and the controller I just have not done it yet.
Old 07-22-2015, 03:36 PM   #1929
Wayne & Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Summer2Go View Post
I have my lights plugging into the outside electrical outlet for now. Is there an easy way to get them to connect to the battery from the underside of the trailer? I don't want to drill holes in anything, and most times we will use them at a campground with electricity.

I was able to tie mine in to the step light wiring under the trailer. Thus I am able to turn on the porch and step lights and the LED awning lights come on also. Similar to you, I had some left over and used a Y adapter, but put my excess behind my steps.

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Old 07-27-2015, 06:32 PM   #1930

Hi:

A couple of quick questions on installing the LED awning light strips:

1. I plan on installing the white LED control box inside a waterproof electrical junction box to keep it and the LED connections out of the elements. Would this create an overheating problem for the box's electronics?

2. I plan on running a wire from that junction box through the TT outside wall to tie into an existing 12v feed for the table light. The distance is approx. 6 feet. From what I can research, the suggestion is to use 14 gauge wire. I was hoping to use 16 gauge because it is smaller and neater to run but I don't want to create an unsafe situation. What size wire have you used for your 12 volt power source?

Appreciate any info / suggestions!!!!
Ontherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:08 PM   #1931
Wayne & Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontherock View Post
Hi:

1. I plan on installing the white LED control box inside a waterproof electrical junction box to keep it and the LED connections out of the elements. Would this create an overheating problem for the box's electronics?

2. I plan on running a wire from that junction box through the TT outside wall to tie into an existing 12v feed for the table light. The distance is approx. 6 feet. From what I can research, the suggestion is to use 14 gauge wire. I was hoping to use 16 gauge because it is smaller and neater to run but I don't want to create an unsafe situation. What size wire have you used for your 12 volt power source?

Regarding item 1, I can't answer directly from personal experience as I didn't mount mine in a weatherproof box as you are wanting to do, but you should be fine. Running off 12 volt I haven't noticed the controller box getting overly hot, and many on other posts on this thread have done the same thing you want to do.

Re #2, I bought something like this ( http://www.amazon.com/Esco-Lite-Exte...F36MXW11FPAYAZ) which ties in perfectly from the end of the lights to the controller box. The one I got was about 8 ft which it appears this one is also; they make an even longer one if needed.

Hope this helps.

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Old 07-29-2015, 04:26 PM   #1932

Thanks for the info!
I'm planning on completing the mod next weekend so I was trying to anticipate any issues that might arise.
Old 07-29-2015, 04:41 PM   #1933

Been looking at installing awning lights now that I see how it's done looks like it's on the to do list for sure.
jjfmd2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2015, 06:57 PM   #1934
Wayne & Kim

Quote:
Thanks for the info!
I'm planning on completing the mod next weekend so I was trying to anticipate any issues that might arise.
Ur most welcome!

Good luck with the mod, and give us an update on how it turns out. Feel free to PM me if I can offer any more hep!

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Old 07-30-2015, 08:24 AM   #1935

Quote:
Hi:

I used 16 GA wire to go to my power source.
Old 07-30-2015, 02:59 PM   #1936

Thanks for the info.
How long was the run from the white control box back to your 12v supply?
Old 07-30-2015, 08:42 PM   #1937
Wayne & Kim

Quote:
Thanks for the info.
How long was the run from the white control box back to your 12v supply?
The cable that I suggested at least in my case ok me right up to the power supply I opted to use, which was wiring into my step light. I ended up cutting the cable on the AC power adapter cable (I had 2 sets of lights and thus 2 power supplies, so I had back-up) and splicing into the step light. I can thus turn my lights on by the switch inside which controls step and porch light, and due to the location of the controller so close to the steps, was able to place the IR receiver in a spot alongside the steps so I can change colors, etc fairly easily (the sensor and remote need pretty much direct line of sight).

I wound up using the excess light strip along with a Y cable and ran some lights behind my steps also.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	282.2 KB
ID:	84616  

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Old 08-02-2015, 08:21 AM   #1938

This is what I want to do! I dont have the lights yet but your install is the way I see doing this. Curious, Is there a reason why I would need to unplug them or as you say to just reach in and unplug? Can they just be powered up all of the time?

Thanks!
Old 08-02-2015, 03:54 PM   #1939
Wayne & Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by rvsunman View Post
This is what I want to do! I dont have the lights yet but your install is the way I see doing this. Curious, Is there a reason why I would need to unplug them or as you say to just reach in and unplug? Can they just be powered up all of the time?

Thanks!
I'm not sure if you were talking about my install or not, but I figured I'd reply anyhow.

I don't have to unplug mine at all since I bypassed the AC adapter and power them by 12 volt source, the step light which is powered on/off by same switch as my porch light. All I have to do is hit that toggle switch. I have left them on for long stretches of time with no problem, but more or less let darkness be the trigger - if I would need the porch light on, then the awning lights are also; if not, then they are all turned off.

Hope this helps.

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
Old 08-04-2015, 08:48 AM   #1940

Quote:
Hi:

I would not hesitate to use 16 awg wire.
Miller303KDS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, led pad