Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-23-2012, 02:45 PM   #421
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkaccountant View Post
I bought a set of these and love them. Before I go through all 42 pages of this thread, is there anywhere in here that tells us how to program them with the DIY buttons on the remote? The instructions to the set I purchased does not say how the DIY buttons work. Also, I saw some lights that have a "chasing" feature. Mine does not have a button for this so I am wondering if it is just the set I got or whether that has to be programmed via the DIY button on the remote.
As I understand it, the DIY feature is to create a "custom color" using the colored up down buttons and save it by holding the button down for 3 seconds. Kind of silly feature, IMO.

As to "chase" it is not available as to how the LEDs are wired. With a common ground leg and three "hot" legs (one for each color) the only options you have from the controller for each color is "ON - FULL VOLTAGE" ; "ON - "LESS VOLTAGE" ; "OFF."

To provide "CHASE" the LED sets must be wired so as to be independently controlled (2 or 3 grounds in addition to the 3 hots - connecting to alternating sets of LEDs).
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:01 PM   #422
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Mine chase.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:03 PM   #423
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Mine chase.
Neat. Mine do not for the reason I stated.
Please re-post the link to the ones you bought for others,
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 03:14 PM   #424

Quote:
Not sure what ones you bought but I got the ones the op got from ebay and they are brighter than I expected.
Even dimmed on the lowest setting there still pretty bright.
Bought mine from a local distributor on Baton Rouge. same #'s as the ones on ebay. 5050 + whatever. These were supposed to have had a sound button to sync them to music. Never got that far with them. Wish they would have worked out though. Will keep lookin. I see where HERK put 2 strips below one another. Maybe that's what I should have done.
sdagro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 06:34 PM   #425

Quote:
Originally Posted by John22077
I just got mine today too.. By default all the DIY buttons appear to come set to white.. Now if you select a DIY button and then adjust the color with the RGB arrow keys, you can save this new color by pressing the same DIY button for a second or two..
Hope this helps
1999 Dodge Durango (Retired TT)
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 4x4
wagon52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2012, 09:10 PM   #426
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

kust wanted to say I have been camping for the past 4 weeks at 3 different camp grounds and given out the number for the led awning lights 7 times !
what a success !

The most liked benefit was the ability to roll them up in the awning (for those of us who installed them there ) .
Old 07-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #427

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo
kust wanted to say I have been camping for the past 4 weeks at 3 different camp grounds and given out the number for the led awning lights 7 times !
what a success !

The most liked benefit was the ability to roll them up in the awning (for those of us who installed them there ) .
Had someone from every campground we've been to ask me about them. Sorta proud of myself! Lol
1999 Dodge Durango (Retired TT)
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 4x4
wagon52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 12:10 AM   #428

I'm looking at tying two of the 5m SMD5050 LED strips together with 300 LEDs each - however, looking at the specs of the LED strip, power supply and controller I have a concern with tying two of the 300 LED strips together.

Each SMD5050 300 LED strip is rated for 6A current draw, the power supply is rated for 5A and the controller is rated for 6A. Two of the LED strips would draw 12A.

For those that tied two strips together off the same controller and power supply - did you use two of the SMD5050 300 LED strips, two of the SMD5050 150 LED strips or two of the SMD3528 300 LED strips?
hawk2000x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 06:12 AM   #429
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawk2000x
I'm looking at tying two of the 5m SMD5050 LED strips together with 300 LEDs each - however, looking at the specs of the LED strip, power supply and controller I have a concern with tying two of the 300 LED strips together.

Each SMD5050 300 LED strip is rated for 6A current draw, the power supply is rated for 5A and the controller is rated for 6A. Two of the LED strips would draw 12A.

For those that tied two strips together off the same controller and power supply - did you use two of the SMD5050 300 LED strips, two of the SMD5050 150 LED strips or two of the SMD3528 300 LED strips?
You can tie two together
Old 07-25-2012, 07:16 AM   #430

Quote:
How did you mount yours again? Did you just slide them in the groove on the bar? I thought about using double sided tape and mounting them on the outside of the awning tube. I'm afraid it would stretch out the fabric and leave imprints when rolled up. I've had mine for 4 weeks or so and just haven't had the time to get out there and mount them. I think I'd prefer them on the awning tube though.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2012, 07:52 AM   #431
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Len & Cheri

How did you mount yours again? Did you just slide them in the groove on the bar? I thought about using double sided tape and mounting them on the outside of the awning tube. I'm afraid it would stretch out the fabric and leave imprints when rolled up. I've had mine for 4 weeks or so and just haven't had the time to get out there and mount them. I think I'd prefer them on the awning tube though.
Len I did in fact install them in the groove .
It works better to push them into the slot then to slide them all the way through.
Now once installed you can leave them pushed all the way in and use them or I pull mine out just a little bit to reveal the led which makes them brighter , either way they produce a nice light.

When rolled up they slide back into groove.
Old 07-25-2012, 12:56 PM   #432

Quote:
It works better to push them into the slot then to slide them all the way through.
Now once installed you can leave them pushed all the way in and use them or I pull mine out just a little bit to reveal the led which makes them brighter , either way they produce a nice light.

Thanks, I'll try that.
Len & Cheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:12 AM   #433

So as a new guy I'm entitled to asking a dumb question on my first post. 😄 I'm considering purchasing the ones off of Amazon. I'm thinking of simply shoving them in the slot and then plugging them into my outside plug on the occasions I would use them. I do a lot of primitive camping so my use would be minimal 3-4 times a year. So I don't want to permanently mount them. Would this idea work?
BriBoy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:27 AM   #434

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriBoy01 View Post
So as a new guy I'm entitled to asking a dumb question on my first post. 😄 I'm considering purchasing the ones off of Amazon. I'm thinking of simply shoving them in the slot and then plugging them into my outside plug on the occasions I would use them. I do a lot of primitive camping so my use would be minimal 3-4 times a year. So I don't want to permanently mount them. Would this idea work?
I got the one's off Amazon too. Before I permanently mounted them, I just used clothes pins to hang them and then plugged into the outside outlet. They have a sticky back and I didn't want to put them in that slot because I didn't want to damage the paper that protected the sticky tape. They are so light you only need around 7-8 clothes pins at the most to keep them on the awning. You will get people commenting or asking you about the lights. One guy drove by and slowed down before stopping to look at them.
punkaccountant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 10:30 AM   #435

Quote:
Originally Posted by punkaccountant

I got the one's off Amazon too. Before I permanently mounted them, I just used clothes pins to hang them and then plugged into the outside outlet. They have a sticky back and I didn't want to put them in that slot because I didn't want to damage the paper that protected the sticky tape. They are so light you only need around 7-8 clothes pins at the most to keep them on the awning. You will get people commenting or asking you about the lights. One guy drove by and slowed down before stopping to look at them.
Thank you! So they will go in the slot if I want? I will place my order!
Old 07-27-2012, 10:32 AM   #436

Quote:
Originally Posted by BriBoy01 View Post
So as a new guy I'm entitled to asking a dumb question on my first post. �� I'm considering purchasing the ones off of Amazon. I'm thinking of simply shoving them in the slot and then plugging them into my outside plug on the occasions I would use them. I do a lot of primitive camping so my use would be minimal 3-4 times a year. So I don't want to permanently mount them. Would this idea work?

Not sure which ones on Amazon you were looking at, but I bought these Amazon.com: TaoTronics TT-SL001 Waterproof 16.4 Ft RGB Color Changing Kit with LED Flexible Strip, Controller + Remote and Power Supply, 5050rgb Kit: Home Improvement
I tried putting them in the groove but it was really tight and I didn't think would shine enough light. But they have a sticky back on them and I just attached them to the roller right under the awning. They seem to roll up in the awning just fine. I put a piece of velcro on the arm of the awning so I can mount the light controller piece that plugs into the lights. I am at work so don't have the pictures of what I did.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:33 AM   #437
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The ones on eBay are at 22.00 dollars
Old 07-27-2012, 10:43 AM   #438

Quote:
Originally Posted by merlin66043 View Post
Not sure which ones on Amazon you were looking at, but I bought these Amazon.com: TaoTronics TT-SL001 Waterproof 16.4 Ft RGB Color Changing Kit with LED Flexible Strip, Controller + Remote and Power Supply, 5050rgb Kit: Home Improvement
I tried putting them in the groove but it was really tight and I didn't think would shine enough light. But they have a sticky back on them and I just attached them to the roller right under the awning. They seem to roll up in the awning just fine. I put a piece of velcro on the arm of the awning so I can mount the light controller piece that plugs into the lights. I am at work so don't have the pictures of what I did.
Thanks! If you dont mind post the pics when you get a chance and I will check them out.
Old 07-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #439
Mod free 5er

Quote:

Three problems with mounting them in the groove, 1) Can't use them with awning rolled up. 2) Can't use a sunscreen in the groove. 3) Stringing an electric cord to activate them
Just my reasoning for mounting them on the rail under the awning. Permanently wired, use anytime and awning groove available for sunscreen which we use quite often.
Old 07-27-2012, 11:13 AM   #440
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I like them to shine on camper not away from.
If my awnings up then I'm in bed or not around or daylight.
Don't have a screen for rail.

Tags
awning, led pad