Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-06-2015, 07:30 PM   #1901

So where did you wire these into the trailer?
ryzak13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 11:05 PM   #1902

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryzak13 View Post
So where did you wire these into the trailer?
On mine I tapped the 12v powering the switches above. My porch, scare, and kitchen lights all run of the same fuse.
2008 Wildcat 32QBBS(your pregnant again), 2004 Wildcat 29BHBP (oooh twins), 2000 Travel Supreme (pre kids)
Dirt_Farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 09:34 PM   #1903

Dirt Farmer, that has to be the cleanest install yet, nice job! Does that Tee fit tightly over the Klux channel?

InTheSticks
InTheSticks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 09:18 PM   #1904

Ive gone through about 150 thousand ways to hook these up but no one with a Shasta Oasis as of yet lol. Has anyone installed these lights to a oasis 28bk? if so where did you run power to and how did you hook them up being there is a slide on the awning side. Pictures and install directions would help as well.
jpierson12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 06:38 PM   #1905

Quote:
Originally Posted by InTheSticks View Post
Dirt Farmer, that has to be the cleanest install yet, nice job! Does that Tee fit tightly over the Klux channel?

InTheSticks
It does not, the wire channel is 3/4" and the Klus channel is 1/2". Can't tell from the ground, but I used clear silicone to seal up the difference.

Thank you for the compliment, I'm very happy with how they turned out
2008 Wildcat 32QBBS(your pregnant again), 2004 Wildcat 29BHBP (oooh twins), 2000 Travel Supreme (pre kids)
Old 05-27-2015, 08:33 PM   #1906

So I "stole" the Klus LED channel idea from Dirt Farmer...and ran the channel the full length from awning channel to awning channel, ran the wire down the inside (power awning cover) to the bottom access hole and drilled a hole into the storage. Attached with 2 sided gorilla tape. It was close to 17' so I had to get two 5M rolls, cut off and using some inside...
RGB with the 44 Key remote.

Old 05-29-2015, 11:00 PM   #1907

Looks great!!! I can't take credit for the klus channel, it was mentioned earlier in this thread.
Old 06-22-2015, 08:58 PM   #1908

Anyone have issues with the controler going crazy? 44 Key. (this model RGB LED Strip Light Controller with Remote 44 Keys | LED) Its not the remote as I have 4 remotes, it wont shut off and the colors are all crazy, I can hook up a different controller and it works fine but is there a way to "reset" it? I seen many ways of reprogramming the remote but nothing for the controller.
Thanks.
Old 06-28-2015, 11:21 AM   #1909

I am late to the game with this, but here is my version.
I ordered a multi color set that also had dedicated true white lights (5-pin connector setup) from Amazon. Not going to post a link, as these change all the time. (Click on the picture for a larger view)

This is in full daylight, I do not have a nigh picture yet.

I have a manual awning, and did not have a good place to tap power thru the wall. I decided to mount a box to house the control unit. I used one that has a shallow box as part of the cover. I ran the wire from the LED light strip in behind the over and caulked the cover to the camper wall. This way I did not drill any holes and it can be removed if needed, leaving no holes in the camper wall.

The control units stays in this box during travel. The very small pins that are used on the plug from the controller to the light strip look like they won't stand up to a lot of use (plugging in/ unplugging), so I wanted to leave this pat alone and use the plug from the power cord to the controller as my disconnect point. I cut a notch in the bottom for the power cord and the remote sensor cords to deed thru when the cover is closed.

I can reach this with a short one step stool, so connecting is not a big deal.

I used velcro to mounted the remote to the side of the cabinet just inside the door for easy access.

I hope this helps anyone who is trying to figure out how to mount their setup.
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 07:50 PM   #1910

Mod Guy:

I am also late to this thread and am planning on installing a set in the near future. Great pictures and installation instructions! Like you, I have a manual awning on my 2010 Wildwood XLite and was wondering on how to power them up. I have a few questions on the install if you don't mind. I'm torn between installing them as you did on the side of the trailer or installing them on the awning tube. If they are on the awning tube, you won't be able to see them directly but will see the "glow" on the side of the trailer and I can use the awning rails to route the wiring to the outdoor plug. However, if we have a nice night but windy (as it often is here) I won't be able to open the awning and use the lights. If I mount them on the side of the trailer will I get the same "glow" effect on the trailer body? Any thoughts? Why did you choose the side of the trailer under the awning for your mounting location?
Ontherock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 08:00 PM   #1911
Mod free 5er

Don't recall any instructions on how to program the remote.
Old 06-28-2015, 10:09 PM   #1912

Actually if you take the little white box apart you'll see that they soldered the wires to the wrong terminals.(you can fix this yourself). That's why your lights don't work properly. If you hit blue it will show green and vise versa. Dam Chinese!! I have ordered a few sets and a couple of them were like that.
Leecountry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2015, 11:07 AM   #1913

Just installed these on my awning this weekend. They were great. Loved using the Red and Blue for the 4th theme (seperately of course but remote made it easy to change between the two). Had several people stop by and admire the lights. This is probably my favorite mod. I plan to do it the hard way and take them down each trip.
Central Ohio
thetanu539 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2015, 09:52 PM   #1914
Summer2Go

I got a 16' length of RGB lights with the controller. Today I got the install done for awning lights. My awning is only 13', so I used the extra yard of lights under the camper by the stairs and the grill. It came out great. I don't do electrical mods, so I bought an LED extension cord, and a y splitter. I used the 3-M adhesive that came with the waterproof light strip, some rubbing alcohol to clean the flat surface under the awning, and stuck the lights as far as they would go, then cut the strip. The instructions with the lights tell you how to cut on the copper separating every three LEDS. Both ends of the lights have a connector so I ran the extension wire along the door edge from the awning to the stairs, and the underbelly of the camper, where I fastened the left over lights with the Y splitter. I will take the wires off connecting the LEDs to travel, and unplug and ziplock it all in a bag. It should be very easy to set up, and so many colors! It may not be as finished looking as some of the other posts, but pretty close! I thought there might be some other folks who might like to add lights without drilling holes and playing with electrical connections. There are all kinds of Led items on e-bay and Amazon, and pretty cheap. The whole project was about $28.00.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 08:55 PM   #1915

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ontherock View Post
Mod Guy:

I am also late to this thread and am planning on installing a set in the near future. Great pictures and installation instructions! Like you, I have a manual awning on my 2010 Wildwood XLite and was wondering on how to power them up. I have a few questions on the install if you don't mind. I'm torn between installing them as you did on the side of the trailer or installing them on the awning tube. If they are on the awning tube, you won't be able to see them directly but will see the "glow" on the side of the trailer and I can use the awning rails to route the wiring to the outdoor plug. However, if we have a nice night but windy (as it often is here) I won't be able to open the awning and use the lights. If I mount them on the side of the trailer will I get the same "glow" effect on the trailer body? Any thoughts? Why did you choose the side of the trailer under the awning for your mounting location?
I decided on mounting the strip to the trailer as opposed to the tube for many of the same reasons you listed. As for the glow, you have to decide for yourself. Here is a picture of mine from my only trip with them (Holding fine after 1,200 miles with the included mounting tape)

Click on pic to enlarge

A friend mounted his to the slide-out under his awning, and another friend has them factory mounted on the trailer wall, same as mine. Another friend in going to mount his at the lower molding belt (just above the cargo doors) on his class A. He likes the light at a low height.
MOD Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:10 PM   #1916

I just ordered the LED string from Amazon, and they have no tape, adhesive to hang them with to my TT. What are you guys using to attach the string, etc. to your TT? I can only find dbl sided tape by scotch and it won't stick to the casing of the lights.

any thoughts or suggestions on what to use
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:26 PM   #1917

bagged,as far as the tape,use 3m gray tape.It comes in 1/2" and is used for auto body trim.You can get it at Auto Zone or O'rileys.It'll hold it just fine.Don't let it stick to your arm.You will loose some hair.Don't ask how I know.
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 01:52 PM   #1918
Wayne & Kim

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveandSue View Post
bagged,as far as the tape,use 3m gray tape.It comes in 1/2" and is used for auto body trim.You can get it at Auto Zone or O'rileys.It'll hold it just fine.
X2. I removed the adhesives that comes with the lights and then before rolling the lights back on the spool I put the trim tape on, leaving the backing on one side until I was ready to adhere to the RV. Has held up very well.

2014 Cedar Creek 36CKTS
2011 Ford F250 King Ranch 4x2 Diesel, added springs
Nights camped: 2014 - 32; 2013 - 23
Wayne & Kimmy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2015, 02:00 PM   #1919

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveandSue View Post
bagged,as far as the tape,use 3m gray tape.It comes in 1/2" and is used for auto body trim.You can get it at Auto Zone or O'rileys.It'll hold it just fine.Don't let it stick to your arm.You will loose some hair.Don't ask how I know.

thanks, i'm auto zone now buying it. Thanks
RollingDownTheHighway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2015, 08:49 PM   #1920
Summer2Go

I have to tell you, the lights I got had waterproof covering and adhesive, and they look like they will stay on. Only time will tell. I believe it's in the surface prep..... New camper & alcohol wiping prep, really clean surface contact.

Sent from my iPad using Forest River Forums
Summer2Go is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
awning, led pad