Old 08-21-2015, 03:36 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
Why not solar? For about a $1,500, you can have 400 watts of panels, 40 amp controller and two 115 amp hr batteries added to what you have now and a 2,500 watt inverter for 115 VAC.
If noise is a big issue and sun is not a problem where you camp, then solar is the way to go. I went down this same road with generators. Gas, noise, maintenance, securing unit, having to load/unload gen, etc. A friend showed me his setup on his hunting cabin and that sold me. Once done, it's done. IMHO
Where we camp, it's surrounded by tall woods. Not enough sunlight, especially in late fall in Wisconsin. I also like to reheat the previous meals leftovers in the microwave rather than cook all the time. Would take a pretty big and expensive inverter to run the microwave.

1999 Lincoln Navigator 4X4 5.4L 32v Intech
Ryno22980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2015, 03:44 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
Why not solar? For about a $1,500, you can have 400 watts of panels, 40 amp controller and two 115 amp hr batteries added to what you have now and a 2,500 watt inverter for 115 VAC.
If noise is a big issue and sun is not a problem where you camp, then solar is the way to go. I went down this same road with generators. Gas, noise, maintenance, securing unit, having to load/unload gen, etc. A friend showed me his setup on his hunting cabin and that sold me. Once done, it's done. IMHO
Sorry Mike, I read your post too fast and didn't realize you addressed the inverter in your post. I'm all for solar, but $1500 would be hard to justify for my usage. I use the TT during the summer with the family about 5-6 other times. Every other time other than fall hunting, I have shore power. If I boondocked all the time, then definitely worth it.

Old 08-21-2015, 07:23 PM   #13

Here's the promised video:

Old 08-21-2015, 07:29 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno22980 View Post
Sorry Mike, I read your post too fast and didn't realize you addressed the inverter in your post. I'm all for solar, but $1500 would be hard to justify for my usage. I use the TT during the summer with the family about 5-6 other times. Every other time other than fall hunting, I have shore power. If I boondocked all the time, then definitely worth it.
Roger that, it's not for everybody. I figured in the gas, oil, time spent loading and unloading [I'm 70 years old], securing gen, handling the gas cans and it fit my bill. Go camping and have FUN!signhavefun:

Aviator Wright Flyer #1919
Army Pathfinder Vietnam, 3 tours
DAV, MOPH, VFW, NRA, 1stCav. ABN
Blackhat6mike is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
generator, inverter