Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-29-2013, 06:47 PM   #1

Question NEED ADVICE Hauling camper and canoe

We purchased a camper over the winter and recently purchased a new to us tow vehicle. It's a 2007 F-150 Crew Cab with a short bed (5.5). On our previous set up, we had a pop up and a Sport Trac with a Yakima roof rack system and we LOVED the stability when we attached the canoe to that rack, it wasn't going anywhere. (When we first bought the canoe, we used the foam blocks and hated them.) Ok, back to the present...

We need some advice. Do we spend $350+ on a Yakima roof rack system for a bald roof OR do we dream up a rack (2x4's?) to go in the back of the truck? Our canoe will not fit in the back of the truck...I think it's at least 12 feet?...all 4 of us fit in the canoe...it's big. Please remember, we have to tow the camper behind...so the nifty ones that go in the hitch are a no go.

If you have pictures of your set up...PLEASE share them. I'm a visual learner. We'd like something that would come apart and store somewhat easily. We have a great place to hang the canoe and don't need to store it on whatever we have to build.

THANK YOU!!!
+ 1 canoe (with fishing equipment)
+ 1 yellow lab
A great time had by all!!
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:03 PM   #2

Sorry, no pix! We have an F150 Super cab with the 6'6" bed. We already had Yakima racks for our Subaru and were able to get 2 new brackets to fit a crossbar on the truck roof, so one Yakima bar on the truck roof and a home made 2x4 rack at the back of the truck will hold DHs 16' canoe with enough clearance at the back for the trailer.

We used to do the same with two home made 2x4 brackets on our old F150 that had the 8' bed and no second row seats.

The only diff I notice is that with the new setup there is a terrible wind noise, sort of a deep thrumming vibration that sets my teeth on edge, so I would not like a long trip with it! Old setup did not do that.
2012 Rockwood UltraLite 2304s trailer
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:13 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by timarti View Post
Sorry, no pix! We have an F150 Super cab with the 6'6" bed. We already had Yakima racks for our Subaru and were able to get 2 new brackets to fit a crossbar on the truck roof, so one Yakima bar on the truck roof and a home made 2x4 rack at the back of the truck will hold DHs 16' canoe with enough clearance at the back for the trailer.
Ok, so you purchased the Yakima Q towers? Just one set of them and used the round poles you had...am I getting what you're saying? That makes sense...then we somehow rig up something in the back end to hold the back end of the canoe. Would be a lot cheaper to do it that way.

If you do have the Q towers, I read somewhere about issues with the bald roof racks taking the paint off the roof? We sure don't want that to happen...does it happen with your truck?
+ 1 yellow lab
Old 04-29-2013, 07:22 PM   #4

Our canoe is 14 feet long.
I bought a ladder rack from Lowes and used one post in the bed of the truck. It is cut down and highly modified.
I used a Thule Half Pack for the cab roof.

Pics of rear post. Notice the side stops are angled to match the sides of the canoe.

Noise? I think it is from the tissue thin roof of the cab. We get it too, but I soon "block it out" or ignore it.
I wipe the landing gear pads and the roof clean b4 installation.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:47 PM   #5

This is our setup.
Track Rac from Lowes, 299.99
The canoe is a 14' mad river and the truck bed is just 5 feet long.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	317
Size:	43.7 KB
ID:	29305  
https://campingbuddys.shutterfly.com/
Camping Buddys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 07:52 PM   #6

Yes, the Q towers for the F150 with our old crossbar, which fortunately was long enough since we used to put a canoe and kayak on it. The back rack just bolted together with some 2x4 is sturdy enough not to need any special bracing. The 2x4s fit in the holes in the truck sides at the back. Have not yet had any issue with scratching tthe roof. Will watch for it now that you have mentioned it!
2012 Rockwood UltraLite 2304s trailer
timarti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 08:28 PM   #7

A couple of my parents friends that they camp with a few times a year have canoes/kayaks they bring with. One has a 06ish F150 Screw, he uses a Yakima rack to haul their kayaks and has it all bolted through the roof, nothing mounted in the bed. Another has a 2500HD crew, he uses a ladder/lumber rack that attaches to the bed rails. Both also have tonneau/bed covers, so I think thats the reason they went with the setups they did.
with 2001 Kodiak K215: 2010-10, 2011-12
with 2012 Grey Wolf 26BH: 2012-19, 2013-24, 2014-11, 2015-6
with 2013 Passport: 2015-13, 2016-15 booked
PHS79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 09:12 PM   #8
Always Learning

Quote:
Originally Posted by timarti View Post
The only diff I notice is that with the new setup there is a terrible wind noise, sort of a deep thrumming vibration that sets my teeth on edge, so I would not like a long trip with it! Old setup did not do that.
Try putting a twist or two in your straps. The noise you're hearing is likely them vibrating.

To the OP- Yakima or Thule only. Suck it up and spend the money (and man does if hurt! $550 for my first kayak; $450 retail into my first rack).
Old 04-29-2013, 09:14 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

ependydad is correct if you turn the straps so they have a twist in them they make less noise and don't "chatter"

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 10:25 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
Our canoe is 14 feet long.
I bought a ladder rack from Lowes and used one post in the bed of the truck. It is cut down and highly modified.
I used a Thule Half Pack for the cab roof.

Noise? I think it is from the tissue thin roof of the cab. We get it too, but I soon "block it out" or ignore it.
I wipe the landing gear pads and the roof clean b4 installation.
WOW!!! Amazing set up. We are not that handy...but are very impressed! Thanks so much for sharing your ideas!!

Going to have to do more research and figure out just what we're going to need.
+ 1 yellow lab
Old 04-29-2013, 10:29 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Camping Buddys View Post
This is our setup.
Track Rac from Lowes, 299.99
The canoe is a 14' mad river and the truck bed is just 5 feet long.
That looks fantastic...thank you! Going to have to check that option out! How does it store? Easy? Complicated?
+ 1 yellow lab
Old 04-30-2013, 07:16 AM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

We went with a TracRac system. It was the only setup that I could find at the time that we could have racks and a tonneau cover.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Truck Racks.jpg
Views:	262
Size:	51.0 KB
ID:	29328

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:34 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
ependydad is correct if you turn the straps so they have a twist in them they make less noise and don't "chatter"

Turbs
Also works on awning tie down straps, a farmer showed me that trick in Knoxville, IA in 1977 when our awning straps were making noise. He came over and was talking and mentioned the noise and told me how to stop it.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:34 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
We went with a TracRac system. It was the only setup that I could find at the time that we could have racks and a tonneau cover.

Attachment 29328
That looks fantastic! We could still use the cover?? How does that work? Was it expensive??
+ 1 yellow lab
Old 04-30-2013, 06:20 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
That looks fantastic! We could still use the cover?? How does that work? Was it expensive??

Quite expensive, but it has worked out good for us. I spent $1500 in 2007 for the sliding TracRac and rails, the tonneau cover system, and the front cantilever so the nose of my canoe wouldn't hit the cab.

I think this the current model to the racks that I got: 2013 TracRac G2 Complete Sliding Aluminum Pickup Truck Racks

The tonneau cover: 2013 TracRac Trac Tonneau Cover for Sliding TracRac Pickup Truck Racks - Closeout 25% Off It is listed as a close-out......I am wondering if that is being discontinued. The TracRac website has very little infomation on the cover. Ours works great, although it does not seal well at the tailgate, allowing a little water in.

The cantilever: 2013 TracRac 44000-01 44000-02 Cantilever Extension for TracRac G2 Pickup Truck Racks

We also got a couple of the crossbar tie downs, and the combination rail tie downs and locks.

The TracRac system seems really well made and strong. When I put my canoe on top, I have confidence it is gonna stay.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
WOW!!! Amazing set up. We are not that handy...but are very impressed! Thanks so much for sharing your ideas!!

Going to have to do more research and figure out just what we're going to need.
Thanks for the compliment!
A link to the rack.
Shop Hauler Racks Aluminum Removable Truck Side Ladder Rack at Lowes.com
It has a 500 pound capacity and is up to 32 inches wide. How wide is your canoo?
Ours is 36 inches wide so I could not use the rack as designed.
A narrow canoo would fit with one end hanging out over the cab.
Twisty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:22 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twisty View Post
Thanks for the compliment!
A link to the rack.
Shop Hauler Racks Aluminum Removable Truck Side Ladder Rack at Lowes.com
It has a 500 pound capacity and is up to 32 inches wide. How wide is your canoo?
Ours is 36 inches wide so I could not use the rack as designed.
A narrow canoo would fit with one end hanging out over the cab.
Will measure the width of the canoe, but I'm pretty sure it is wider than 32 inches. It's more of a lake canoe and is wider than some...our kids needed the stability...and we aren't opposed, either.

Sure love the easier removal of this rack and sincerely appreciate the link.
+ 1 yellow lab
Old 04-30-2013, 10:31 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Quite expensive, but it has worked out good for us. I spent $1500 in 2007 for the sliding TracRac and rails, the tonneau cover system, and the front cantilever so the nose of my canoe wouldn't hit the cab.

I think this the current model to the racks that I got: 2013 TracRac G2 Complete Sliding Aluminum Pickup Truck Racks

The tonneau cover: 2013 TracRac Trac Tonneau Cover for Sliding TracRac Pickup Truck Racks - Closeout 25% Off It is listed as a close-out......I am wondering if that is being discontinued. The TracRac website has very little infomation on the cover. Ours works great, although it does not seal well at the tailgate, allowing a little water in.

The cantilever: 2013 TracRac 44000-01 44000-02 Cantilever Extension for TracRac G2 Pickup Truck Racks

We also got a couple of the crossbar tie downs, and the combination rail tie downs and locks.

The TracRac system seems really well made and strong. When I put my canoe on top, I have confidence it is gonna stay.
Wow...a beautifully designed system. Love that it slides out of the way. There is just no way we can afford this right now. Maybe we should get some 2x4 's and save up for another year. Sure feel more informed. Thanks for your help!!
+ 1 yellow lab