Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-17-2015, 12:58 AM   #1

Need Bunk Bed Ladder modification ideas

I have a 2015 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2702SS. The bunk bed ladder is not safe to use if it is just propped up against the bed. I am looking for a way to attach it so it will not move when climbing up or down. Has anyone come up with a solution for this?
dano50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 01:23 AM   #2

A picture of the bunk and ladder would be helpful. Try a google search with "bunk bed ladder hook". They can be bent to fit the appropriate angle and can be lined with self adhesive felt.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:41 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yarome View Post
A picture of the bunk and ladder would be helpful. Try a google search with "bunk bed ladder hook". They can be bent to fit the appropriate angle and can be lined with self adhesive felt.
TT is stored away from my house. I will get pictures posted ASAP.
Old 06-17-2015, 11:56 AM   #4

Here are the photos

Photos
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0086.jpg
Views:	395
Size:	311.9 KB
ID:	80263   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0087.jpg
Views:	234
Size:	328.4 KB
ID:	80264   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0088.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	305.7 KB
ID:	80265   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0089.jpg
Views:	214
Size:	332.7 KB
ID:	80266  
Old 06-17-2015, 06:52 PM   #5
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Cheap and easy.....2 3/8's eye screws, 1 piece 3/8 doweling. Drill 3/8 hole thru ladder, screw in screw eyes to trap ladder...very little side to side clearance, slide dowel in and done.
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2015, 02:04 PM   #6

House bunks had l bracket on top to clip into upper rail. Looks like you could trim the ladder a bit and use the l brackets.
Old 06-18-2015, 03:05 PM   #7

I'm not artist and don't know how to make those fancy computer drawings, so bear with me.

Looking at a flush fit on the right leg of the bed, I would add a block to the back of the ladder and secure it with a pin either into the rail of the bed, or by adding additional material along the bed rail that you can "pin" into. It would be removable, and the angle of the ladder will gain a little more support. The back side of the block should match the angle of the leaning ladder.

Due to the angle of the ladder above the block, it may not be possible to use a removable pin. You may need to just put in a small wooden dowel to protrude out of the underside of the block that would fit into holes on the rail or added cleat.

One concern with drilling pin holes into the rail would be that the rail itself is not very thick and removing material will weaken the rail itself. Adding a cleat to pin into would be ideal, but may not be very attractive, and I don't know if it would interfere with any doors/slides/etc.

Just an idea you might work around with a bit and see if it will work for you.

I guess you could just use a metal "L" bracket, bend it to the proper angle and insert a pin through it into the rail.. down n dirty style.
rana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2015, 12:46 PM   #8

My bunk ladder has a bent down metal bracket attached to the ladder. It would be simple to make from an L bracket. Get an L bracket that is long enough on one leg to extend over the edge of the bed rim. Mark the point at which it extends over the rim. Attach it to the back side of the ladder and bend it downward at you mark. It will now hook over the edge and be safe.
EYEMAN is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bed, cat, modifications