Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-12-2013, 03:42 PM   #21

I think you want to put a DP switch in the shore line between the cable and the panel. Answer is yes/no. you could, but if you forget to open the switch once, you may electrocute someone who may grab the plug end. You really should use the proper switch. Simply put economics away, and do it right. A double pole double throw switch isn't that expensive and considering that you only have to flip one switch, instead of remembering two...well I'd say its a no brainer.

Why don't you run the #10 wire to an RV outlet box mounted inside the shore power cable compartment? then you could just plug the RV's shore power cable into that when the inverter is needed?
Old 05-13-2013, 12:01 AM   #22

No compartment, this is a tiny trailer. Cable is removable.
Only thing someone might grab with the inverter on is the female connector on the side of the trailer for the 30pin. I figure unless there is a key, or tongue, or paperclip involved, there's no chance of electrocution
Old 05-13-2013, 06:42 AM   #23

I don't have a detachable cable, but I am familiar with them. isn't there prongs that stick out inside the "female" connection point on the trailer?

You can do what you want, but I really insist that you use the double pole switch.

here's an example: http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003AUPTP8
Old 05-29-2013, 11:17 AM   #24

In the boating industry there is a switch used for shore power to generator. Completely isolates one from the other. This could be used w/an inverter also. Like Lou mentioned, and since this is on a small RPOD, a manual method changing power like the power strip and "HOUSE" and "INVERTER" main outlets would work extremely well. Keep It Simple and and as the OP mentioned - keep your tongue out of the outlets!
Master Blaster of the Navy
BigTJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 12:00 PM   #25

I just bought a 2013 Georgetown XL 378.
Can anybody tell me if it is possible to connect an inverter in the tv cabinet to power only my tv and a dvd player so while I am going down the road my DW and niece can watch a movie without running the generator.
The dealer tried to install one but said the 12v cable running to the 12v outlet under the tv cabinet was not large enough to power a 300 watt inverter.
I don't have an issue installing a DPDT switch to change over the tv and dvd from the shore/generator power to the inverter.
It would be nice if Forrest River would provide a complete wire diagram with the gauge sizes upon request so I could make the install.
wrapperman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:09 PM   #26

Look on u tube under "tiger claw 1500w inverter. The illustrator means ions the ac neutral and battery negative are tied together and warns against using for home use. Your house gfi looks for hot to neutral difference. You will need to install a transfers with that breaks the hot and neutral no getting around it
Trikkineon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2014, 11:41 PM   #27

I'll look it up
I haven't done it yet but it is on my bucket list to attempt.
I believe a transfer switch and pure sine wave is the way I would like to do.
Thanks