Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #1
Member
 
JCamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 97
Talking Need more water capacity

Got a Tracer 3150 BHD with 48 gals fresh capacity. Seems like the family can easily drain that in a day. Would like more water capacity. I've been hauling extra in cans in the truck and adding to the rig when low, but anyone got a great idea's?
I know less use = less need, but looking for creative idea's here.

Thanks,
__________________

__________________
JCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:28 PM   #2
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Camp where there is city water or use someone else's!

Stop and think, you get more water capacity and then you'll need more gray water and black water capacity. Best to learn to conserve. Not what you were wanting to hear, but a much more practical solution.
__________________

__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:36 PM   #3
Member
 
JCamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Camp where there is city water or use someone else's!

Stop and think, you get more water capacity and then you'll need more gray water and black water capacity. Best to learn to conserve. Not what you were wanting to hear, but a much more practical solution.
Brilliant "OldCoot" but I "stopped and thought" as suggested and although I should have posted it, I have 60 gals grey and black capacity. So I already stopped and thunk it.
__________________
JCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #4
Mod free 5er
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Concord, NC
Posts: 24,215
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCamper View Post
Brilliant "OldCoot" but I "stopped and thought" as suggested and although I should have posted it, I have 60 gals grey and black capacity. So I already stopped and thunk it.
(2) 6 gal water jugs and you've maxed out the grey & black tank capacity. Problem solved and another created.

Just playin' with ya'. Lighten up!
__________________
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
Senior Member
 
prof_fate's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Beaver, PA
Posts: 911
You cannot use water camping like you do at home. Won't work out well.

When we camped with our primitive popup we'd use 3 gallons of water a day other than toilet and shower. We only had a kitchen sink - so coffee, dishes, brushing teeth - 2 kids, 2 adults. We tried not to dump water on the ground. Had a 5 gallon jerry can for gray water and had to carry it to dump it - encourages conservation.

When we camp now we have city water, but have to empty our gray/black tanks via a blue boy. We do use the bathroom and at times shower. We can go 2 to 3 days on the gray tank and 5 on the black. I believe we have a 40g gray tank.

So while we can do better, we don't. We do better than at home though.

I"m told people can live on a gallon a day of water. What you cook and how (boiling noodles vs hot dogs on a grille), what you drink (bottled water/beer/milk vs water in the tank), how you clean (let the water run? no way!! Even showering - get wet, shut it off, soap, rinse will still use 5gal easy - can't imagine letting it run!).
__________________
Chris, Wills (16) Evie (13) & Toby our collie (6)
2011 Grey Wolf 28BH
2013 Chevy K1500 Crew w/ Reese StraitLine Dual Cam

Nights camped 2011: 11 2012: 18 2013: 12 2014: 12 2015: 13 2016: 56 2017: 8+
prof_fate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:47 PM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
We don't use 34 gallons in 4 days and there's 5 of us.....
I think u need to crack down or shut the he water pump off.
Navy showers!
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
Member
 
JCamper's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Utah
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by prof_fate View Post
You cannot use water camping like you do at home. Won't work out well.

When we camped with our primitive popup we'd use 3 gallons of water a day other than toilet and shower. We only had a kitchen sink - so coffee, dishes, brushing teeth - 2 kids, 2 adults. We tried not to dump water on the ground. Had a 5 gallon jerry can for gray water and had to carry it to dump it - encourages conservation.

When we camp now we have city water, but have to empty our gray/black tanks via a blue boy. We do use the bathroom and at times shower. We can go 2 to 3 days on the gray tank and 5 on the black. I believe we have a 40g gray tank.

So while we can do better, we don't. We do better than at home though.

I"m told people can live on a gallon a day of water. What you cook and how (boiling noodles vs hot dogs on a grille), what you drink (bottled water/beer/milk vs water in the tank), how you clean (let the water run? no way!! Even showering - get wet, shut it off, soap, rinse will still use 5gal easy - can't imagine letting it run!).
Thanks,
Your right we probably can do a little better. For the record we too do the wet, shut off, lather, and quick rinse. But we do have 6 of us in the rig.
We'll continue to use those extra cans, and conserve.
I also changed out the shower head to a water saver style, and we only drink bottled water.
__________________
JCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:10 PM   #8
Senior Member
 
FandRChambers's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 373
Getting the water useage down will take some time if you have never had to do it before. Funny story my brother and sis in law was out this year in there new wildwood. They lasted about 12 hours and gray tank was full. They had never dry camped before and sis in law was using water like were at a full hook up. It will be interesting 4th july weekend as we are dry camping 4 days. We have bets on how long they will last before out of water. He is bringing water cans just in case. ha ha ha I told him take a PT shower (you Marines out there will know what I mean)
__________________
Fred & Teresa
2005 Coachmen Encore Sportscoach
2005 Harley Road King
2002 EZGO Golf Cart
FandRChambers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 06:15 PM   #9
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Mass
Posts: 532
I have to agree - reduce, reduce, reduce... In the mean time we carry a 30 gal tank from an old RV that is kept in the back of the truck - If needed I can drive to a water source, fill tank, and pump it into the fresh water tank.

Tank cost me $20 on craigslist and the pump was ~ $100 from Lowe's. Went with a 110 V AC pump as we use it for other purposes as well.
__________________
Walter & Donna
2011 CC LB RAM 3500 CTD 6.7L DRW
2013 Cedar Creek 38FL
2017 Days Planned: 135

38FLCamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2013, 09:24 AM   #10
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Southern Ontario Canada
Posts: 273
Quote:
Originally Posted by JCamper View Post
Thanks,
Your right we probably can do a little better. For the record we too do the wet, shut off, lather, and quick rinse. But we do have 6 of us in the rig.
We'll continue to use those extra cans, and conserve.
I also changed out the shower head to a water saver style, and we only drink bottled water.
Someone in the family is letting the water run unnecessarily (likely in the shower). If you use almost 48 gals in one day, that's 8 gal/person. Ration the kids to a shower every 2 days? Time them in the shower? Use the camp facilities once and a while? If they know Dad is constantly adding more water to the tank, it will be very hard to re-train the habits.
__________________

__________________

2014 Flagstaff 832IKBS Travel Trailer
2012 F150 EcoBoost (HD Payload & Max Tow)
Doering is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:56 PM.