Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-23-2008, 10:09 AM   #1

Question Need suggestions for storage mods

We purchased a 2007 Surveyor SV291 last week and are starting to think of the mods we will want to do after pick up. There is a lot of cupboard storage space but most of it is hanging space. I want to add some shelves and possibly drawers in the cupboards and was wondering if anyone has done any mods like that and would be willing to share photos. I also noticed that the cupboard space under the sink and stove does not have a bottom shelf, it is simply the floor. This space is located in a slide out so I am wondering if I need to put in a shelf in order to store stuff under there. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Minnesota

Our photos: https://www.forestriverforums.com/Pho...00&ppuser=1363
jeffnjen1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2008, 03:34 PM   #2

we have used a product made by rubber maid
its a wire shelf but it has 6" legs on the coners so its free standing
thye have em 18" long by 6" wide and some even wider to 12"
home depot and lowes have em in the storage and closets aisles
matter of fact i measured all our cabinets then spent a few hours at the hme centers looking at all the stuff they have for kitchen and cabinet organizers and pieced and parted stuff till i had things that fit in our cabinets.
sliders and all kinds of things
Old 01-24-2008, 11:14 AM   #3

Thanks for the idea.

Minnesota

Old 01-24-2008, 03:55 PM   #4

Hey JeffnJen,
Make sure you have that slide extended when you measure for your shelves. On our maiden voyage, we sat a box of trash bags on the floor under the sink. when we were setting up at the camp ground,we forgot about it. My partner almost tore the front off of the cabinet when the box hit the back wall before the slide was fully extended. ANYTHING you put under the shelf can only be 5 1/2 inches deep. Same is true under the oven.
Old 01-24-2008, 04:46 PM   #5
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
Welcome! (hey, I'm a native Minnesotan myself)
I've got a lot more storage mods to do myself. I've found a few (hanging closet type) solutions myself. I think I have a pic or two in the gallery.
I like some of the plastic drawer types, but plan to do the main closet with wire mesh shelving.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2008, 11:44 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by bamasurveyor View Post
Hey JeffnJen,
Make sure you have that slide extended when you measure for your shelves. On our maiden voyage, we sat a box of trash bags on the floor under the sink. when we were setting up at the camp ground,we forgot about it. My partner almost tore the front off of the cabinet when the box hit the back wall before the slide was fully extended. ANYTHING you put under the shelf can only be 5 1/2 inches deep. Same is true under the oven.
Bamasurveyor, Thanks for the warning! I had to chuckle about your experience because I could easily picture the same thing happening to us. I think I will now wait until we pick up the TT before we make plans for what to store under there.

Minnesota

Old 01-26-2008, 08:20 AM   #7

One thing we have done is take the panel out from behind the sofa "skirt". This allows us to store shoes under the sofa on one side, and smaller plastic totes on the other.
John
Old 01-28-2008, 11:35 AM   #8

Thanks for the reply John. I am glad to hear that panel is removable. The DH was going to check into doing that same thing when we picked up the trailer. It sounds like we have had a lot of the same ideas. Since we have the same model are there any other tips or suggestions you can give us? We are ordering the Maxx-Air vents and will install those.

Minnesota

Old 01-29-2008, 12:49 PM   #9

Hey JeffnJen1,
We did the vent covers this past summer. Really helps with the condensation buildup. We also decided to take the open top boxes that we used last year out from under the rear bed and replace with those single hieght Sterlite plastic storage drawer units. we found the 45qt.size at Big Lots for $11, and the smaller ones are $8. I believe that by mixing the 2 sizes I can fit a complete row against the back wall under that bed. And use a tension curtain rod to hold them in place AND keep the draws closed at the same time. the space in front of them will allow me to put my outdoor kitchen, folding table, and patio mat back there as well. then I can reorganize the front pass thru.
Old 02-04-2008, 10:25 AM   #10

Got the rear storage area on our Surveyor Sv291 cleaned out and organized. Like I mentioned above, we bought the storage drawers ,3-45qt. size, and placed side by side across the back "wall". That didn't fill the area completely, but left room for our outdoor shower tent to sit perfectly. Then out our door table lays across the top of the units. And 2 "Bag"chairs lay across the front. My outdoor kitchen was still too large for the area but it stands nicely by the bed and and is easy to get to. All in all the new storage set up will work great for us.
Old 02-05-2008, 11:12 PM   #11

We are so envious. The itch to go pull that camper home is getting almost unbearable. Then it snows and the temps dip to below zero and we snap back to reality. I was at Big Lots the other day and saw the drawers you mentioned. I saw some multi drawer units there too that look like they might fit in the pantry cabinet. We may need to run over to the dealer and do some measuring this weekend. Did you end up using the smaller $8 drawers anywhere?

Minnesota

Old 02-06-2008, 12:25 PM   #12

Hello Jen,
Didn't use the smaller storage drawers. We had hoped they would fit under the sofa but they're too deep. But if you find any that are 14 1/2 inches or less deep they will work there.