Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-11-2017, 12:13 AM   #21

I'm going with the GYE at Discount Tire and they are going to buy my China
Bombs can't beat that.
helicowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:34 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
Just installed Goodyear Endurance ST235 /80 R16 E on my Wildcat today. It's American made with a tougher sidewall than the Marathons. I'll give a report in three weeks after my 2,500 mile trip home. The jury is still out because it only came out this spring.

Please do sir I have a 2,500 miles trip coming up but since I just brought my TT I might be good on those tires, if I can swing it I will buy the tires before I go.
Big1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 12:59 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big1 View Post
Please do sir I have a 2,500 miles trip coming up but since I just brought my TT I might be good on those tires, if I can swing it I will buy the tires before I go.
Great. We need a lot of reviews in 3-5 years to know if they stand up. Until hundreds of reviews with 10,000 or more miles over time we cannot be certain. Until then I'll stay with Carlisle.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 01:04 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by gen3rbc View Post
When upgrading to E rated tires, are you staying with the stock wheels?
Yes, the original factory wheels will handle the 80 psi load range E tires. We put in metal valve stems when we put on the heavier tires.
2021 Chevy Silverado 3500HD DRW 4X4 Duramax
“It's not how old you are, it's how you are old.”Jules Renard
"It's not the years...it's the mileage." - Indiana Jones
Capt. Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:54 PM   #25

Changed To Goodyear

Today I changed out my Castle Rocks (65 psi with 1900 miles) with the Goodyear Endurance tires (80 psi). ST225/75R15 E rated vs the D rated Castle Rocks. Took a short 60 mile run and was very impressed. The ride seems smoother and more stable. They seemed to handle the bad roads much better than the old tires. Had metal stems put on also.The stock rims are good for the extra 15psi. Tomorrow I will reinstall my TPMS after I recalibrate for the extra psi and they are cold. Will keep updating as the miles are put on but it may take awhile as I don't drive anywhere near 80 mph.

2017 Flagstaff 8529 IKBS Classic Platinum Edition
Beauty and Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:28 PM   #26

New one on now !!!!!!!!!Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1495225702.575397.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	354.5 KB
ID:	138419
helicowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 03:46 PM   #27

had the Hercules on 16,000 miles no issues what so ever . just got back to Colorado from Florida a few weeks ago . noticed slight wear on the edge of one tire no big deal . i needed to rotate them anyways . well after moving the tires around i found a slit in in the middle of the tread on one tire about 4" long and all the way to the core . glad these great tires held up don't know when i got the slit , must have run over something . so now it's just get 4 new ones what the heck don't want 1 new and 3 half way wore . so i go to my tire Gal Hercules back ordered for a month . they been selling out of them at record pace , she says Hercules is coming out with a 15" 12 ply all great but i need tire now . the only ones she could get beside the
POS goodyears were the Carilsle radial trac 15" e load 81 MPH rated so i got them she gave me a great deal at 444. mounted and balanced . time will tell if there as good as i feel the Hercules are . after the install the guy mounting them asked what i run them at PSI wise and i say 80 he say the ones on there were at 70 i say no way . so we match gauges and sure as can be my gauge is off 10 psi . who knows how long i've been running under . now i know why the tire are wear on the edge . i always check the tires at every stop for heat and such never any issues . went out and bought a new gauge and not a cheap one don't want that to happen again . i have new respect for the Hercules
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:25 PM   #28

I run the same tires on my trailer that I do on my truck.

Upgrade to 16” wheels @ <$50 each.
https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-W...865WS569D.html

Put on real tires – 16” LT, E rated tires.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dextero-DHT2-Tire-LT265-75R16-123-120R/21607861

106 mph
3000 lbs

And unlike ST tires, these rules from http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/inf...rTireFacts.dos don’t apply:

Service Life Of A Trailer Tire
  • Trailer tires are limited by time and use, instead of being designed for use until the tread is completely worn off.
  • After three years in service, approximately one third of the tires strength is gone.
  • The mileage expectancy can vary from 5,000 miles to 12,000 miles.
  • It is best to replace your trailer tires every 3-4 years, whether they look worn out or not.
  • Prior to each use, inspect the tires for any cuts, snags, punctures, or bulges, as well as ensuring each tire is properly inflated.
  • When trailer tires are not in use or are in storage:
    • Store in a cool, dark garage at maximum tire inflation with material between the tire and pavement like a thin piece of plywood.
    • Tire covers can help protect the tires if stored in direct sunlight.
    • If storage is long term, it is best to put the trailer on blocks, to take the weight off of the tires, and lower the tire pressure.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 04:33 PM   #29

my brother & NEW GY Endurance

My brother & i made reservations at an RV Resort in Florida.
we both came from south louisiana so 7 hrs for us & 5 hrs for them.
we arrived 2 days before them. well last night at 10pm for late arrival,
he calls me and says, i have some steel belt material showing on a tire
when i stopped for fuel during a quick inspection. I'm a few miles out
but i think i can make it without problems. well he arrived later and
this is what he experienced.
so today we worked together on removing
all 4 tires for replacement with GoodYear Endurance tires.
Upon inspection of the remaining tires he did great not having 4 blowouts.

QUESTION
My Westlake ST tires had 50psi & averaged 75-80 degrees cold. 225/75/r15
On the highway at 60-65mph i saw increases to 58-60psi & 100-107 degrees.
I read that, at these hwy speeds & all things being equal for road condition etc,
for every 1psi increase expected 10 degrees increase.
IS THIS THE TYPICAL EXPERIENCE?

TST TPMS states that the alarm goes off at 158 degrees
& that most tires fail at the 180-200 degree mark.

id love to hear your thoughts.
thanks
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3812.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	391.1 KB
ID:	138434  
2015 Rockwood 8289WS Diamond Pkg
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
tmfaulksr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:00 PM   #30

Heres my non-expert thought. TPMS tire temps are relative. Even a metal stem is insulated from the rim by rubber. I don't consider the TPMS temp anymore than a vague suggestion.

As far as psi goes...I have seen a greater than 10psi increase on a cold max inflated tire after a couple hours of interstate at 90+ degree ambient temps on the side facing the sun. To keep the alarm off I deflated the tire by 5*. The next morning, that tire was about 5psi below the max cold pressure. For the next trip, I set the over pressure to 15psi and will run the tire at max cold pressure. Max cold pressure will continue to be my starting point.
jeffnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:07 PM   #31

We are on our second season with Constancy 205/75/14 tires that came with our camper. I keep them at max pressure at all times. When I change tires I will go with GY endurance 215/75/14. As far as I know there is no LT tire made for 14 inch rims. I can't see spending the $$$ for 4 new alloy wheels. From reading here GY Marathon tires have a bad reputation. I have them on the boat bought new in 2008. In 8 years I had one valve stem replaced, caught at home when checking pressures and one tire failed in the driveway after sitting for 2 months.The tread split open. By the way the boat is 7000lbs total. Have I been lucky? Comments please. Jay
Jay2504 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:21 PM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffnick View Post
I run the same tires on my trailer that I do on my truck.

Upgrade to 16” wheels @ <$50 each.
https://www.etrailer.com/Tires-and-W...865WS569D.html

Put on real tires – 16” LT, E rated tires.
https://www.walmart.com/ip/Dextero-DHT2-Tire-LT265-75R16-123-120R/21607861

106 mph
3000 lbs

And unlike ST tires, these rules from http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/inf...rTireFacts.dos don’t apply:

Service Life Of A Trailer Tire
  • Trailer tires are limited by time and use, instead of being designed for use until the tread is completely worn off.
  • After three years in service, approximately one third of the tires strength is gone.
  • The mileage expectancy can vary from 5,000 miles to 12,000 miles.
  • It is best to replace your trailer tires every 3-4 years, whether they look worn out or not.
  • Prior to each use, inspect the tires for any cuts, snags, punctures, or bulges, as well as ensuring each tire is properly inflated.
  • When trailer tires are not in use or are in storage:
    • Store in a cool, dark garage at maximum tire inflation with material between the tire and pavement like a thin piece of plywood.
    • Tire covers can help protect the tires if stored in direct sunlight.
    • If storage is long term, it is best to put the trailer on blocks, to take the weight off of the tires, and lower the tire pressure.
pretty much same goes for lt tires . don't think you'll get 5 yrs as most the time your ready for new tire by then and if not i've seen plenty of lt tires with cracks and dry rot after less then 5 yrs , trailer tires should be replace every 5 yrs not 3 , mileage for Ttires is way beyond 5 to 12 G miles . i replaced mine at just over 16,000 only because of a cut in the tire from road hazard , that can happen to any lt tire .i would have gotten at least another 12,000 out of them , not bad for 4 tires carrying over 9000 lbs .
I don't think it's an issues to use LT tires but to me not worth the up grade to 16" rims and then finding tires that will still fit my axle spacing . keep your LT tires beyond 5 yrs and seen how they also fail
northstar1960 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 06:46 PM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmfaulksr View Post
[B]
QUESTION
My Westlake ST tires had 50psi & averaged 75-80 degrees cold. 225/75/r15
On the highway at 60-65mph i saw increases to 58-60psi & 100-107 degrees.
I read that, at these hwy speeds & all things being equal for road condition etc,
for every 1psi increase expected 10 degrees increase.
IS THIS THE TYPICAL EXPERIENCE?

TST TPMS states that the alarm goes off at 158 degrees
& that most tires fail at the 180-200 degree mark.

id love to hear your thoughts.
thanks
From Tireman9's Web site, lots of good info there:
BOTTOM LINE
1. Reality is much more complex than nice controlled laboratory experiments
2. Tire inflation pressure does vary with tire temperature and the pressure does increase as the temperature increases.
3. Dryer inflation gas will have less variation of pressure than "wet" inflation gas.
4. In my opinion none of the above observations is significant enough to change the "Rule of thumb" that we can expect our tire pressure to vary by about 2% for every change of 10°F.

Here are a couple of links:
RV Tire Safety: Pressure
RV Tire Safety

MISSION COMPLETED!
gectisme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:45 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gectisme View Post
From Tireman9's Web site, lots of good info there:
BOTTOM LINE
1. Reality is much more complex than nice controlled laboratory experiments
2. Tire inflation pressure does vary with tire temperature and the pressure does increase as the temperature increases.
3. Dryer inflation gas will have less variation of pressure than "wet" inflation gas.
4. In my opinion none of the above observations is significant enough to change the "Rule of thumb" that we can expect our tire pressure to vary by about 2% for every change of 10°F.

Here are a couple of links:
RV Tire Safety: Pressure
RV Tire Safety
thanks for all the info and it gives me additional info to look at.
it appears the 2% rule still rules...
thanks again...
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
Old 05-20-2017, 01:00 AM   #35

Quote:
Heres my non-expert thought. TPMS tire temps are relative. Even a metal stem is insulated from the rim by rubber. I don't consider the TPMS temp anymore than a vague suggestion.

As far as psi goes...I have seen a greater than 10psi increase on a cold max inflated tire after a couple hours of interstate at 90+ degree ambient temps on the side facing the sun. To keep the alarm off I deflated the tire by 5*. The next morning, that tire was about 5psi below the max cold pressure. For the next trip, I set the over pressure to 15psi and will run the tire at max cold pressure. Max cold pressure will continue to be my starting point.
I appreciate the info.
I've not done the research on how the wheel sensor gets it's temp readings so that is something i will look into.

I wanted to comment to something you stated about tire temps being effected by the sun.
Taking in consideration the standing sentiment on temp sensor,
i noticed that the tires facing the sun were 10+ degrees hotter than non-facing.
When my direction changed, the tire temps changed pretty quickly.
I was pretty surprised by how quickly this took place.
again, appreciate the great info!
2015 Puma 253FBS (sold)
2013 BMW R1200GSW
Old 05-20-2017, 08:23 AM   #36
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Just got 1,000 miles in the last couple of days on my new Goodyear Endurance E tires. I'm very happy so far with the handling and ride. I was driving the interstate at 70mph with good crosswinds and it was solid. Very happy!
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 08:29 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post

As someone who has chosen to stick with (quality) ST tires on my trailer vs switching to tires that were not designed for this purpose...

What tires are you referring to "that were not designed for this purpose "?
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 11:59 AM   #38

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
I am referring to ANY tire that is not an ST tire. ST tires were purposely and intentionally designed for use in a trailer position. While both P rated and LT rated tires are allowed in trailer positions, it's not what they were designed for.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:13 PM   #39

Send a message via MSN to GreenImp
Quote:

I agree with this in theory. However, I have compared the temps provided by my TPMS (TST507) with surface temps taken by an infrared thermometer. I have done this several times and have not seen any difference greater than 1°. This is even less significant when you consider the accuracy ratings of either device.
Dad's old 1968 Empi Imp (recently recovered from under 21 years worth of boxes/dust)
GreenImp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 12:33 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenImp View Post
I am referring to ANY tire that is not an ST tire. ST tires were purposely and intentionally designed for use in a trailer position. While both P rated and LT rated tires are allowed in trailer positions, it's not what they were designed for.

LOL...
325BH is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
tire, tires, upgrade