Old 01-27-2008, 10:31 AM   #1

Question Need your ideas for new mod wiring

I am looking for input on my next mod for flagstaff 831 KRSS. I am not sure why, but FR wired the light above the bathroom sink (outside bathroom type sink) so that you have to turn the small switch next to the light bulb to turn the light on. Needless to say my kids are not able to reach this switch even with a stool that is needed to reach the mirror.

I would like to run a second wall switch down lower so they can easily turn if off and on. I plan to leave the other switch active as it can be a backup "off" if we need due to small children in the TT. I took the fixture off and there is a small hole with 2 larger wires(one white / one white and black) going to the black and white wires on the fixture. The black wire is the one the switch is on within the fixture.

So... I can tap into the black and run wire down lower to put a wall outlet switch in (rocker type). My question is where do I run the wires? This is against the outside wall of camper so I can't come down the back wall. I am thinking I could tap into the medicine cabinet top via the large pantry to the right and run wires there down and then back out under sink and place my wall outlet next to GCFI that you see in the pics. However there is a false wall in the big cabinet that may be removed (I remember a post about doing this for more storage?) so I could remove it to run the wiring and then just pop back in under the sink to place outlet.

I initially was going to ask about mounting the switch box in the large cabinet false wall, but now I like my new thought about going back to the sink vanity front.

So the questions are:

1. Does this sound like a plan that will fly?
2. Does this wire need to be residential wire (romex)? or smaller ga.?
3. Can the false wall be removed easily without destroying it?

I have sent a few pics for you guys that have done this type of thing, to see if you agree with my way of thinking on this. Thanks for the help. Frank
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6254_sm.jpg
Views:	267
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	615   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6255_sm.jpg
Views:	269
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	616   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6256_sm.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	617   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6257_sm.jpg
Views:	266
Size:	32.7 KB
ID:	618   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6258_sm.jpg
Views:	273
Size:	56.1 KB
ID:	619  

Old 01-27-2008, 08:17 PM   #2
Cyber Phrenologist

I wonder if there's not a "wireless remote control" solution to this that will not involve any drilling or cutting. Something like the remotes for 12vdc vent fans. Wire the remote in parrallel to the existing switch so either will turn on the light. Then the remote could be kept in the kids bedroom and they could turn on the light from their bed so they can see how to get to the bathroom.

Of course, being kids, they could also loose the remote.

Another thought: install a string-pull switch in the end of the fixture. The string will hang down enough for the kids to reach it. You could replace the original with a string-pull if having the string in front of the mirror wouldn't drive you nuts. (It would me!!)

Radio

2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:10 PM   #3

You are correct!

Funny you should say that I was talking with a guy at the firehouse today and he mentioned replacing the switch with pull chain, but I do think the pull chain would bug me.

I did think about the remote, but I have the stuff to run the wire, and it will look best in the long run I think.

By the way, I am KC9GQJ

Not to active, but still have the call and talk on 2M in the car.

Frank
2002 Daughter
1969 Wife
1974 Me

Live and Work in St. Louis, MO. area, but play everywhere!
-----------------------------------------
fire4034 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2008, 10:25 PM   #4
Cyber Phrenologist

Mount the pull chain switch on the end of the fixure on the hinged side of the medicine cabinet. It should not bug you too much there. Of course you'll have to drill a hole, but I'd rather drill the fixture than drill into woodwork.

And check us out over on Open Roads Radio...sort of a sister site to FRF.

Radio
2008 (or is it 2009?) Rockwood 8280SS - 2007 F-150
Lot's of mostly Kenwood radios

Radio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2008, 07:08 AM   #5
AKA Bluebird

Send a message via Yahoo to dimurrrw
Here is a thought for you. It's kind of self explanatory so I'll omit the details.

http://www.onlineraceway.com/

dimurrrw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2008, 03:29 PM   #6
RJW

Smile

sounds like a plan, if you are handy with tools, it should be fairly easy for you, you may find wiring for the light behind that cabinate wall when you get it out, either way sounds like your plan will work, I;d use the same or higher gage wire the light is currently wired with...

2006 Expedition 4x4 w/HD tow package
5.4L 4 speed auto w/OD 3.73
tow rated 8200
2008 Cougar XLite 30FKS
gvwr 7800

Alvarado TX
RJW is offline   Reply With Quote