Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-16-2017, 07:02 AM   #1

Needing a good mattress

Hi folks,
I'm really needing a better mattress for my trailer. I have a really bad back and what we have now is just not cutting the mustard. The trailer came with a Serta which isn't the worst I've had but bad enough. I bought a 3" topper at wall mart and that really didn't help. So I added to that a "my pillow" topper. It got better but now my feet don't touch the floor sitting on the side of it. I've looked at sleep number but the price is prohibitive. Now I'm looking at the Lull queen mattress. My question is, What have others replaced their mattress's with and how do you like it? I don't want to give up camping. It's been my favorite past time my whole life but waking up in the morning just plain hurts. Thanks for your help.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:04 AM   #2

My wife and I found a good one on Amazon, memory foam with a cooling layer, $300 and free shipping through prime.
Old 05-16-2017, 07:51 AM   #3

We have a 3-inch natural latex foam topper. Love it. Amazon and other places online. For more info than you'd imagine, check the reviews on sleeplikethedead dot com.
Old 05-16-2017, 08:25 AM   #4

Look up dreamfoambedding.com
Old 05-16-2017, 12:56 PM   #5
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
Hi folks,
I'm really needing a better mattress for my trailer. I have a really bad back and what we have now is just not cutting the mustard. The trailer came with a Serta which isn't the worst I've had but bad enough. I bought a 3" topper at wall mart and that really didn't help. So I added to that a "my pillow" topper. It got better but now my feet don't touch the floor sitting on the side of it. I've looked at sleep number but the price is prohibitive. Now I'm looking at the Lull queen mattress. My question is, What have others replaced their mattress's with and how do you like it? I don't want to give up camping. It's been my favorite past time my whole life but waking up in the morning just plain hurts. Thanks for your help.
Not knowing other people's sleep habits, it's hard to recommend a mattress for someone. Kind of like going to the shoe store, buying your wife a pair of shoes, and taking them home to her. What worked for me was an 8" Memory Foam with "cool-gel" (short queen), from Walmart at a cost of $257 out-the -door. Comes vacuum-packed in a rectangular box. Better than the Temperpedic at home.
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:34 PM   #6

Hi. I ordered a 10" memory foam w/ cool gel from Wayfair. I too have a bad back & the mattress gives both of us a good notes sleep.
redleg719 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:55 PM   #7

We got one of those mat. in a box. Night and day over what came with the RV. No more stiff back in the morning.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:09 PM   #8

Thanks all for your input. I know asking this question is difficult for anyone to answer because everyone is different. I'm just at wits end over this bed issue. You have given me places to look and that is very helpful. Conventional wisdom says sleep number because it can be adjusted. But that brings wit it issues with tubing, compressor location and power. Not to mention cost. Thanks again for your help. It is very much appreciated.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 02:24 PM   #9

Better Mattress

I recently bought our first TT and had to replace the mattress for the same reason as you (back / neck issues). After a lot of on-line research, we bought a "Perfect Cloud Atlas Gel-plus 10" from Amazon. This is a memory foam mattress they ship compressed. Ours is a short queen as was far from the cheapest out there at $399. We've only spent one short trip on it (3 nights) but we are very happy with it. Better quality than we even expected for the price. Check it out on Amazon, mostly good reviews. Some reviewers felt it was too soft. We didn't find it to be overly soft but we have a memory foam mattress at home, so it wasn't very different from what we are used to. BIG quality of life improvement for me while camping!!
FLTBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:10 PM   #10

We took the mattress from our home because we knew it worked for us. Will buy a new mattress for our home.
TheLutter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:15 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by D W View Post
Not knowing other people's sleep habits, it's hard to recommend a mattress for someone. Kind of like going to the shoe store, buying your wife a pair of shoes, and taking them home to her. What worked for me was an 8" Memory Foam with "cool-gel" (short queen), from Walmart at a cost of $257 out-the -door. Comes vacuum-packed in a rectangular box. Better than the Temperpedic at home.
X2 This is the same one we bought and we are very pleased with ours.
Harris85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:37 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormrider151 View Post
Hi folks,
Well, Chief, I feel Your Pain! Or rather I did. We tried the topper bit, even a different mattress and nothing seemed to help.

Here is what worked for us. We put one in our previous camper and it was the first purchase for this new one, (new to us)..

Overstock.com sells this one: Select Luxury RV Medium Firm 10-inch Queen-size Gel Memory Foam Mattress
I think we had an 8" last time and we bought he 10" this time. Don't know if we actually feel much of a difference but Id suggest the 10" just in case. They are not horribly expensive either, $360 or so.

Ours us a full queen, but they also have listings for short (RV) queens too. Just hunt around in their website if you need another size.

Before any one chimes in, I am not in any way associated with that seller other than as a satisfied customer.
Old 05-16-2017, 03:45 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
We got one of those mat. in a box. Night and day over what came with the RV. No more stiff back in the morning.
I did the same and have been really happy with it.

I didn't try to sleep a night on the mattress that came with the trailer. Gave the RV mattress to my sister for her large dog to use as a bed.

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 04:53 PM   #14

We got ours a the Original Mattress Factory in Cleveland, Ohio. They are a local company and we have been using their mattresses for years, both at home and in our RV. Their mattresses are manufactured right on the premises and they only sell through their own stores. I believe they also have a store in Columbus, Ohio.
2006SunSeeker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 05:22 PM   #15

Mattress

I replaced our mattress with a sleep number bed. I have one at home and one in our RV. I never had any problems with our RV mattress, yes there were tubes etc, but it wasn't a problem. I could set my side the way I like it and hubby set his. I originally got mine from Camping World, but you may be able to save money buying it directly from a Sleep number store. I highly recommend Sleep number.
imchuys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 06:59 PM   #16

Mattress Issues

That's probably the best possible solution. In my case, that wasn't possible because our RV mattress was a "short queen" size which is about 6" shorter than standard for a queen. At least you resolved the problem!!
FLTBIRD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 07:19 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkpitt View Post
My wife and I found a good one on Amazon, memory foam with a cooling layer, $300 and free shipping through prime.
Ditto. Or ebay. I found that most of them were made in Southern California. Similar ones can be ordered in most any mattress store for about 25 or 50% more money.

Be sure you get the three layer foam. In that price range they will not be two-sided but you want the cool foam on top the gel foam next and a good solid high density foam base. I'm told that foam mattresses tend to be more firm so a medium firmness maybe a good replacement for a firm or hard mattress. We sleep on about an $1,800 custom Beautyrest at home and the $300 3 layer foam mattress in the trailer. I think I sleep better in the trailer.

Good luck
NO MORE Tricked out
2017 Sandstorm 250 T.H.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 09:42 AM   #18

Anyone have recommendations for a rounded corner full size mattress? I added a memory foam topper to the cheap mattress upon purchase of new rv three years ago and that made my bad back happy. Now the rv mattress is wearing out and I'm stuffing a small pillow where collapsing in center. Being a rounded corner, it's not flippable. Years ago I purchashed a pricey mattress that was not flippable and the pillowtop collapsed after three years. Manufacturer warranties( Beautyrest), I later found out are a joke! They deliberately make it so difficult,they want you to give up in exasperation; such as you cannot have removed the tag, "do not remove under penalty of law...." After that experience I have been happy using an inexpensive flippable firm mattress with a 4" memoryfoam topper.
mtnlvr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:54 PM   #19
Double Dutch

Better than home

We have a mattress factory in town and towed our 5er to the factory, selected our choice and waited about 1 hour for the build. Best move we ever made - and sleeps better than at home! Will be getting the same one at home! No toppers, but with deep queen sheets as the mattress is more than 12" thick.
84 Days 2016
50+ Days 2017
Not enough 2018
DoubleDutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 03:10 PM   #20

I'm pretty sure Sleep number sells a queen short, you may have to go into a sleep number store, as I said I got mine from Camping World (on-line) and it was a queen short. I loved it. I had it about 10 years before I sold that rv.
imchuys is offline   Reply With Quote