Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-19-2014, 08:45 PM   #1

New Bumper & Bike Rack

After reading all the comments about the reasons to not mount a bike rack on the rear bumper, I decided to do it anyhow.

Today my 21FBRS is at the weld shop. He is installing a heavier bumper with some reinforcement. I will haul the spare tire in the bed of the truck. The tire and tire rack weighed in at 45 lbs. The bike rack and bikes (2) weigh around 100 lbs.

God help us.

John
4WD SRW Diesel
JohnF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:53 PM   #2

the bikes will extend further from the bumper than the spare did and bounce where the tire is securely mounted. Either way, your rig, do it your way. Seems like a hassle to have to keep spare in truck bed. One more thing to load.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 08:57 PM   #3
DW's 401(k) Plan

I don't see a problem as long as it's a heavier bumper and/or there's reinforcement built in. I had my fabricator add a reinforcement beam behind my bumper and weld on a 2" receiver. Carried a Hitchhiker platform with a box on the back of my Roo 23SS for a couple of years. No problems.

Here is the platforn with the Hitchhiker bag on it. I later added the box from Tractor Supply.

Larry

"Sunny" the 2017 Sunseeker 3010DS
2006 Jeep Liberty Toad
.... and lovin' life........MOST of the time.
DaGrinch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2014, 09:05 PM   #4

Just an idea, my buddy found a spare tire carrier off a pick up truck. The kind that is under the bed. He had it mounted under the back of his camper.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:10 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Campin Cajun View Post
Just an idea, my buddy found a spare tire carrier off a pick up truck. The kind that is under the bed. He had it mounted under the back of his camper.
I've heard of doing that too. I wouldn't mind doing that just to have a cleaner look at rear of TT. I'm sure if you mount it directly behind the axles, there would never be a ground clearance issue.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:16 AM   #6
Mod free 5er

It sure makes it a PITA to check the spare tire air pressure with them mounted under the trailer. Bad enough when they are on the back with a cover on them. They are REAL easy to overlook and unless you carry a 12v compressor, will always be low when you need them and are not needing another frustration at the time. Ask me how I know.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:23 AM   #7

you might be right OC, but I think in most cases, people that are going to check it, will do so no matter where it is. Some will never check it no matter how accessible it is. If maintenance was easy, everyone would do it
Old 04-20-2014, 06:25 AM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Not to rain on your parade, but beefing up the bumper will do nothing to help your trailer frame. Stiffening the bumper and attachments will just transfer that stress to the frame causing excessive flex just aft of the rearmost axle attachment points.

Keep an eye on your frame (most are hidden so you can't without dropping the belly panels and side trim) so this does not happen to you.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LippertCrack.jpg
Views:	256
Size:	50.5 KB
ID:	50344  
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 06:31 AM   #9
Mod free 5er

How many folks check the air in the truck tires religiously? Probably 95%. How many of these same folks crawl under them and check the spare? Probably 1% of the 95%. I might just put one of my spare non-flow thru sensors on the spare. I've never checked my spare, but the shop I have do maintenance on the truck does every time it is on the lift. They check every tire and all the lights as a routine procedure and replace bulbs without even asking. Love the guys at G-Max in Concord, NC.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:37 AM   #10

with most vehicles having TPMS now, I bet everyone forgets all about the spare now. If the computer doesn't do it for them, its not done.
Old 04-20-2014, 06:40 AM   #11

back on topic. No matter how much you strengthen anything, all you really are doing is finding the next weakest point.
Old 04-20-2014, 07:17 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
How many folks check the air in the truck tires religiously? Probably 95%. How many of these same folks crawl under them and check the spare? Probably 1% of the 95%. I might just put one of my spare non-flow thru sensors on the spare. I've never checked my spare, but the shop I have do maintenance on the truck does every time it is on the lift. They check every tire and all the lights as a routine procedure and replace bulbs without even asking. Love the guys at G-Max in Concord, NC.
X2 I bought two extra sensors and put one on my truck and trailers spare
Old 04-20-2014, 07:22 AM   #13
Site Team - Lou

I have also been told (by FR engineers at the last rally) that most (if not all) wall cracks at the corners of wall openings have been traced to aftermarket bike and cargo racks (and overloading); that frame flex has to go somewhere.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bulldozerwork059.jpg
Views:	207
Size:	46.3 KB
ID:	50349  
Old 04-20-2014, 07:40 AM   #14

Agree with you Herk.....w x a = m and one speed bump in the campground will all but shake the back window loose where it will leak....not to mention what it will do to the frame if you have unauthorized weight on it....Light weight trailers are just that, if you are going to carry stuff off the bumper get a heavy trailer that the factory puts a 2 inch receiver on the back that will tow a small boat or carry a rack.....and even then you have weight limits.....we carry our bikes in the truck cab....fold up back seat and two bikes and a bunch of stuff fits in there nicely.....course that means you need a long truck so might as well get 8 ft bed....also we have thought about mounting rack on hitch box, but there again light weight trailers have a 2000lb limit on the pin....
good luck with whatever you do....limits are always there for a reason and the lay person probably will never know if it is liability or structural....be careful be safe

2011 Silverado 2500HD 6.0 Gas 3.73
2013 Flagstaff 8524 RLWS
1978 Cape Dory Ketch
sail2liv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:16 AM   #15
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herk7769 View Post
I have also been told (by FR engineers at the last rally) that most (if not all) wall cracks at the corners of wall openings have been traced to aftermarket bike and cargo racks (and overloading); that frame flex has to go somewhere.
Good to hear factual statements from FR engineers on this subject...Thanks for sharing.
Appears no matter if a camper is lightweight or not...users pack and load the same way thinking all rvs are built the same...

Old 04-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #16

Quote:
You didn't talk to the (Windjammer/V-Lite engineers). They had units that were (Rear lounge/3slide) that (Cracked) at the top corners of the slides! The units were taken back to the Fac.and Side walls were (Replaced) and Axles were Moved (8in) back on the main Frame! Some only had (1) wall replaced but the Axle was still moved back (8in),I never did receive a answer how they (Centered the Wheels in the opening after the (8in) Move)! I personally know Members who had the units that were taken back for this (Repair),they Both traded the units off afterwards. They were (NOT) overloaded,it was a (Engineering Defect) per F/R! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:08 PM   #17
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
You didn't talk to the (Windjammer/V-Lite engineers). They had units that were (Rear lounge/3slide) that (Cracked) at the top corners of the slides! The units were taken back to the Fac.and Side walls were (Replaced) and Axles were Moved (8in) back on the main Frame! Some only had (1) wall replaced but the Axle was still moved back (8in),I never did receive a answer how they (Centered the Wheels in the opening after the (8in) Move)! I personally know Members who had the units that were taken back for this (Repair),they Both traded the units off afterwards. They were (NOT) overloaded,it was a (Engineering Defect) per F/R! Youroo!!
Still makes the case that frame flex causes wall cracks at openings. Just in this case the excessive flex was caused by improper axle location (too much overhang aft of the axles).
Old 04-20-2014, 09:47 PM   #18

Quote:
glad to hear they are finally admitting to there poor design lol

'21 dune sport fire storm custom toyhauler
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2014, 09:51 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnF View Post
After reading all the comments about the reasons to not mount a bike rack on the rear bumper, I decided to do it anyhow.

Today my 21FBRS is at the weld shop. He is installing a heavier bumper with some reinforcement. I will haul the spare tire in the bed of the truck. The tire and tire rack weighed in at 45 lbs. The bike rack and bikes (2) weigh around 100 lbs.

God help us.

John
hope it works out for ya. my friend dana bolted a aftermarket bike rack to carry 5 bikes for his family. didn't crack the walls or frame but wasted the bike rack by the time they got to Colorado from eastern neb!! lol he had the hitch added against many's opinions to pull his boat behind the fiver and he did so with out issue for 2 years. the bike rack he bought was a real pos lol

just keep an eye on things

'21 dune sport fire storm custom toyhauler
dsrace is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bike, bike rack