Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-01-2014, 10:32 AM   #21

For a 2014 model Honeywell RTH2300 to Coleman Mach A/C
As of 06-01-2014, these settings are working.
(FYI, I had another Honeywell Stat, digital, 5-2, that did not have the hg/he switch and it would not work. I might have given up to quickly, but it did not have the needed switch, so IDK)

The final working wiring is set as follows:
A/C side Stat side
-------- --------
White to white - Heat
Yellow to yellow - A/c comp
Green to green - fan (low or hi)
Grey to green - fan (low or hi)
Red to R/Rh (leave jumper on)

Blue not used
All other connections on the Stat are not used.

The switch on the back of the Stat should be set to "HG" (or gas heat)

Many thanks to gljurczyk and sdelam and Triguy for their excellent help!
BBDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 10:52 AM   #22

Triguy...first of all thanks for the Great instructions. It looks like something even I can do! Two quick questions...after your installation does the on/auto fan work, where we can set just the fan to run, or turn on and off with the heat/compressor? Also, do you miss the low fan setting at all? If I remember correctly there didn't seem to be much of a difference between the two (both noise and cooling). Thanks again!
GJCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 11:44 AM   #23
CLASS "A" Senior Member

I've seen on another forum where a member used a Honeywell Programmable T-stat and showed how he wired. I do remember he added a micro-switch for the high/low fan capabilities.

Mod #100: Honeywell, Dometic and Suburban Digitial Thermostat Install | ModMyRV

If you have a strip heater in the AC unit, forget about doing an upgrade. There's no residential t-stat on the market to pull it all off. I've been in the HVAC field for 38 years and believe me I've looked. I settled on a cheap digital therometer that I mounted above the t-stat. It works fine and uses AAA batteries. I see that my analog t-stat is 2-3 degrees off so if I want 76 degrees for AC I set the t-stat to just below the 75 mark.

Indoor Comfort Level Station - La Crosse WT-137U-CBP - Indoor Thermometers - Camping World

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2014, 02:29 PM   #24

GJCrawford, To answer your question on my Honeywell tstat.
1- Yes the fan Auto/on works as normal.
2- On my previous TT I did the install of the micro switch to get hi/lo fan and never used it. The fan stays on High which is perfect.

FYI. We love the programmable because we never have to adjust it.
Our has 4 settings per week day (and 4 settings for weekends) We do n ot need all those settings as we live full time in the Rv and are retired.
So, what we have set is:
At 5am, the tstat is set to 75deg,
At 11am it is set to 74 deg,
At 6pm, it is set to 73 deg,
At 10 pm it is set to 70 deg,
Same for the weekend,
We like cooler evenings for sleeping.
We really do not need all those settings but you have to set them to something BUT, once set, we love the comfort range and not having to adjust up and down every day.
Old 06-07-2014, 04:08 PM   #25

Thanks to all for the replies. BBDAWG, I really appreciate your advice regarding the Hi/Lo switch. I was on the fence on whether or not I'd miss the low speed, but it sounds like it should work just fine. I never noticed much of a difference between the two with the manual thermostat.
GJCrawford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:27 AM   #26

I'm having an issue with my setup where the furnace comes on as soon as I plug this unit in and the furnace and ac run at the same time. The furnace will not shut off unless I disconnect the white wire. Any ideas?
Traveling Tek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 11:37 AM   #27

The first thing to check is the switch on the back of the unit. It has Hg or He. Make sure it is set to HG (or opposite to your current setting).

Try that and post your result.
Old 07-11-2014, 11:43 AM   #28

Maybe I have the wrong one cause I don't see a switch.

I have this one.

Honeywell TH5220D1003 Installation Instructions and Product Brochures

*EDIT* I read the manual again and reset everything and I think I have it now. I feel like an idiot. hahaha
Old 07-11-2014, 12:04 PM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Do you have a thermostat with heat, fan, and A/C together? Try going to heat and set it at a low position. Then go and set the air up a bit. Let it cycle thru till it stops. Then set your heat or air to what you like. I think this could help. As you run thru the heat & air functions both start up to heat and cool for a minute or two cycles.
elind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 12:19 PM   #30

If elind's comment works, Great but if it fails you. I do not remember the exact model I had at first but it had no switch and I could not get it to work. I had to return it and get a different model. I ended up with the 2014 model Honeywell RTH2300 and connected it to the Coleman Mach A/C.

The Hunter programmable also worked on our older rv but same heat/ac. both working units had the HG/HE switch.
Old 07-11-2014, 01:56 PM   #31

I fixed it. I had pulled these off a job site and forgot that they were set for commercial electric heat. I went in the menu and reset for my needs and it works perfectly now. Thanks everyone.

I set it in the menu settings for 1-0 which is electric/gas heat and A/C
then in the other menu for type of heat I set for conventional gas non 99% efficient model.

I also set a delay on my a/c compressor and set my min and max threshold on a/c and heat. Now I can set the t stat on auto and if it gets too cold at night it will kick on the furnace and then bring the a/c back on in the morning.

I did not bother with a timer programmable one mainly cause I got these 4 honeywells for free from a job I did recently, and a timer one seemed a little bit of over kill for a camper even if I do live in it. haha.

I also do a reality show on YouTube about radio control vehicles.
Old 07-11-2014, 02:04 PM   #32

I love the idea of a tstat that will automatically switch from cool to heat to cool. that is really cool (or nice)!
Glad You have it running correctly. Happy Camping!
Old 07-22-2014, 11:00 PM   #33

Honeywell programmable model #

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBDAWG View Post
For a 2014 model Honeywell RTH2300 to Coleman Mach A/C
As of 06-01-2014, these settings are working.
(FYI, I had another Honeywell Stat, digital, 5-2, that did not have the hg/he switch and it would not work. I might have given up to quickly, but it did not have the needed switch, so IDK)

The final working wiring is set as follows:
A/C side Stat side
-------- --------
White to white - Heat
Yellow to yellow - A/c comp
Green to green - fan (low or hi)
Grey to green - fan (low or hi)
Red to R/Rh (leave jumper on)

Blue not used
All other connections on the Stat are not used.

The switch on the back of the Stat should be set to "HG" (or gas heat)

Many thanks to gljurczyk and sdelam and Triguy for their excellent help!
Can you provide a photo of the thermostat you installed? A quick web search found a RTH2300B 1012/A....is that correct?
blue river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 12:50 PM   #34

Honeywell Model RTH111B

Been looking at changin out my Coleman-Mach analog to a digital Thermostat and have read through your thread...lots of good info there!

I have a simple Honeywell stat (RTH111B) and pretty much understand how to install it but...I'm a bit concerned that the blue wire is not being used as noted in your post. According to the literature I have the wires are as follows:

R= Positive or power
Y= A/C Compressor
W=Heat
Green=High speed Fan
Gray=Low Speed fan
Blue= Negative/Ground

So if I don want Low speed I won't use the Gray wire but how will the system work without the blue to complete the circuit?

I don't want to start cutting wires until I know the stat i have will work.

Thanks!!
tman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:03 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by tman53 View Post
Been looking at changin out my Coleman-Mach analog to a digital Thermostat and have read through your thread...lots of good info there!

I have a simple Honeywell stat (RTH111B) and pretty much understand how to install it but...I'm a bit concerned that the blue wire is not being used as noted in your post. According to the literature I have the wires are as follows:

R= Positive or power
Y= A/C Compressor
W=Heat
Green=High speed Fan
Gray=Low Speed fan
Blue= Negative/Ground

So if I don want Low speed I won't use the Gray wire but how will the system work without the blue to complete the circuit?

I don't want to start cutting wires until I know the stat i have will work.

Thanks!!
Do you have a "C" terminal on the new sub base? If you do that would be common or ground. Is battery operated? I'll try and find something on your new stat not all will work.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:23 PM   #36

Call 1-800-468-1502, I would say blue is common or ground, The details do not go into it. They will tell you if it will work and how to wire it. It has 12volt back up for the display already. If it will work off a milli volt as they said it should work. But millivolt you only use red and white no ground. It's switch is set for gas already and leave the jumper in from R to RC, just use the R for your wirer.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 01:54 PM   #37

Just tried calling the Honeywell help line as suggested. They were of no help. Basically they said the thermostat would not work on an RV.

Guess I will just cut the wires and start trial and error method cause I know this will work. :-)
tman53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 08:55 PM   #38

On mine, Blue was +12v which you won't use.

Red, White and Yellow wires from the RV are connected to R, W and Y terminals on the Thermostat.
Green and Gray are for high and low fan, whichever you want goes to the
G terminal.

You can follow the link below to see mine, if you want to wire up a high/low switch like I did.

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...tml#post750364
Old 05-07-2015, 01:29 PM   #39
Canadian Member

offroad, in the thread you referred to, is the 2nd picture a before and after showing how you had to trim the plastic around the mode selection switch to allow for room for the SPDT switch?
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:00 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by itat View Post
offroad, in the thread you referred to, is the 2nd picture a before and after showing how you had to trim the plastic around the mode selection switch to allow for room for the SPDT switch?
Yes, that was before and after pics.
Probably didn't need to remove quite that much material for the switch and wires, but it didn't hurt anything.

Using the A/C this weekend and really appreciate the lighted dials on these.
You just press up or down by feel, and it shows the current setting then you can adjust. No need to turn on a light in the middle of the night if I wake up and am too warm.