Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-04-2011, 10:49 PM   #1
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Thumbs up new mod I have been thinking about.

I have a short box 2500 SD with a roll up vinyl cover .
I haul my wood and "other" things in my bed and when I hook up my 5th wheel camper I have to roll up my whole cover leaving my wood and "other" things exposed to the weather not to mention if we stop at a wal mart or the like everything in the bed is "easy" grabs for a thief .

Heres my mod and by the way if I am the only one who does this first I own the patent rights !

I talked with an upholster today and she said if I mark where the fifth wheel goes and take my cover off she will cut it out reinforce the edges and make a flap to roll up just like the main cover does. So when I hook up my 5er the bed is "for the most part" covered. Except where the flap is rolled up for the pin .
Then she would sew in velcro for the flap and the other three sides so when the 5er isn't hooked up I can simply roll the flap back out and cover the hitch back up .

comments ?
thoughts ?
suggestions ?

Im sure I am not the first to think of this or do it but I have never seen nor heard of any one trying .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:01 AM   #2

I haven't seen anything like that. Sounds good. When you get it made, post some pics of it if you don't mind.
grhodes50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 12:18 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by grhodes50 View Post
I haven't seen anything like that. Sounds good. When you get it made, post some pics of it if you don't mind.
you know I will ! She was going to look at it in the next couple of weeks .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 06:26 AM   #4
Lottery Non-Winner

Should be a nice mod, but you'll have to be cautious. Most pins come into the hitch BELOW the edge of the side rails (hence the tailgates that are notched). You will have to have your 5er up high to clear the tonneau until you've backed up enough to drop the pin into the opening in the tonneau, then back up another 8 inches or so to lock the pin. Unhooking will also be a fun challenge for you.
It should work, but you'll have to watch what you're doing.

Might be easier to just put things you want to stay dry in rubbermaid boxes.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2011, 09:31 AM   #5

I just found a tri-fold cover on craigslist for $150. When folded it covers the forward portion of the bed back to 4-5 inch of the 5th wheel plate. So basically anything forward of the hitch will be covered. It's also quick release. Flip 2 handles and the whole thing comes off.
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
M109Rrider is offline   Reply With Quote