Old 09-23-2010, 09:04 PM   #11

Nice work, very clean looking. This brings something to mine, I wounder why the manufactures do not install a 3rd brake light at the top rear center of there campers so other drivers can see them from a distance. An LED like yours would look great and be effective. Again nice work

Old 09-23-2010, 09:28 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockwood06 View Post
Nice work, very clean looking. This brings something to mine, I wounder why the manufactures do not install a 3rd brake light at the top rear center of there campers so other drivers can see them from a distance. An LED like yours would look great and be effective. Again nice work
I don't think 3rd brake lights are required by law on trailers like they are on autos. Our motorhome does have a 3rd brake light right in the center above the trunk door.

Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2010, 11:16 PM   #13
Moderator Emeritus

I've only seen a few trucks with a 3rd brake light wire hanging out by the 7 pin trailer connector. If you are going to have a 3rd brake light, you need an extra wire, as the 7 normal wires are all spoken for. Perhaps that's your homework, design, manufacture, and market an 8 wire connector that will handle a 3rd brake light.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:59 PM   #14

The ones I am looking at are listed as surface mount:

Red LED Tail Light with Black Base - Bargman # 84 Series Bargman Trailer Lights 47-84-610

looks like they dont' require the 1" mounting depth and the cut out. I believe all I will have to do is drill some holes and seal around them. I was wondering about painting the trim white instead of black...

bsmall, can you post a pic of the entire rear of your camper? I'm curious to see the entire thing.

stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 11:16 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

I don't care how you mount the light, what color it is, or anything else. How are you going to wire it? You can't connect it to a brake light, right or left, as these are also your turn signals, and would cause it to blink. You are going to have to add a wire, as mentioned in my earlier post, and have an extra connector to connect it to. That wire will have to run form the brake light switch on the tow vehicle , all the way back and beside the trailer connector, (with it's own connector), and then from the trailer to the third brake light, however you mount it or wherever you have it. No use having it if you can't make it work.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 05:42 AM   #16

Dont W/jammers have Hor led strip lights on the rear from the Fact? I think they do. My V has old rectangle style with bulbs! For now! Youroo!!
Old 09-27-2010, 08:13 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by windrider View Post
I don't care how you mount the light, what color it is, or anything else. How are you going to wire it? You can't connect it to a brake light, right or left, as these are also your turn signals, and would cause it to blink. You are going to have to add a wire, as mentioned in my earlier post, and have an extra connector to connect it to. That wire will have to run form the brake light switch on the tow vehicle , all the way back and beside the trailer connector, (with it's own connector), and then from the trailer to the third brake light, however you mount it or wherever you have it. No use having it if you can't make it work.
very easy to make them work. the trailer is already wired for stop, tail, turn and there are 3 wires existing for each light from the factory. As for the new LED's, just join the wires together and have each side work together as they do from the factory. I believe you could also wire them so that the outside lights are for turn and the inside are for stop using the existing wires.

stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 10:06 AM   #18

Yankees, how much did those lights cost you at Iowa 80?
Thank
Jack

2007 Chevy 2500HD 'Classic' with the Duramax engine.

Converting a 1956 GMC PD4501 Scenicruiser, ex Greyhound into a motor home.
jackhartjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2010, 12:40 PM   #19

The lights are 14.99 each here's the part#164231