Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-03-2013, 08:17 PM   #1

New tie down anchors in toyhauler

I had to replace the tie down anchors in our 2013 Sandstorm T266SLR. The tie downs from the factory are light weight, cheap, and held down with 2 wood screws, some of which do not even go through the frame. At the end of our first 50 mile trip, we were a little less than happy to find one of our ATV's was rolling around in the back because the d-rings came apart and one of the straps holding a motorcycle had come undone because the d-ring bracket bent and one screw pulled out of the floor.

The Sandstorm Toyhauler d-ring brackets that come from the factory are not designed for strapping down anything heavier than a bicycle. We are glad we figured this out with a couple of the kid's toys before we tried hauling one our street bikes or the Polaris Ranger.

The dealer said that the brackets are not covered by warranty and any bending or breaking is caused by misuse. Just a warning to anyone that plans to use their Sandstorm for actually hauling toys, be sure to take the time to replace all the tie down points and put bolts through the frame when possible and use metal plates.

Here is a link to the d-rings that we installed:
D-Rings & D Ring Tie Downs: Trailer Tie Down Anchors & Weld On D Rings-

These are the type that all other toyhaulers we have owned had and never had problems. They are much better than the 300 lb load limit of the factory tie downs.
jblewison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 11:53 PM   #2

Thanks for the link. I have a sandstorm and have never had an issue. But was wondering about them. I do see where all mine are through the frame but with self tapper screws. They seem solid but if not I will bolt them.
2014 Honda Pioneer 700-4
2004 Yamaha Grizzly 660
wyo700 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 05:04 AM   #3

Good thing your motorcycle wasn't 'tied' down with the cheapo D-rings. Nothing like having a handlebar poking thru your trailer wall.
1986 Marriage to "Wifey" (patience of a saint)
rattleNsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2013, 07:12 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rattleNsmoke View Post
Good thing your motorcycle wasn't 'tied' down with the cheapo D-rings. Nothing like having a handlebar poking thru your trailer wall.
You can cover the holes in your wall with a cork board.....ugh...at least that's what I heard. lol That's afer the sickening feeling in your stomach goes away.
Top B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2016, 06:19 PM   #5

I recently had the same issue and thankfully I'm OCD and strap everything in site. I had my Rzr pull 2 of the 5 tie downs apart. Thankfully the others held and nothing was damaged.

My new problem is this. The flor is only 5/8" thick plywood and the only decent replacement I can find is 3/4"..... issue is that they mounted them directly over the frame so 5/8" depth is max unless I want to shim up etc....

How did you get your new tie downs to mount flush on top of the frame?

TIA
Uhliebrah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 02:40 PM   #6

I ran into the same issue on my Stealth first trip. After going over a rough railroad track I stopped to check the motorcycles and found them laying down and the factory tie downs pulled out of the floor. I installed these tie downs: https://www.etrailer.com/Trailer-Car...ophy/RR05.html. I like them because the are recessed and rated strong enough for anything that will fit in the trailer. I did have to locate them in different spots than the originals due to the water tanks placement. No issues for two years.