Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2015, 11:20 AM   #21

Another thing I forgot to mention is that you have the option to extend the outrigger or leave it where it is and just set the jacks there but the jacks need to be the ones with the side wind!
oilfieldman81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 11:23 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
Boy like the (Outriggers) on the Cranes you (Run/Sleep in) don't (Stick out)! Youroo!! Hey he could place a (Grill on 1-Flag pole on 1-Dish for TV on 1-and a Bicycle rack on the other! See that Guy is way ahead of us! Youroo!!
Yes sir you have the option of setting up all those accessories!
Old 04-11-2015, 12:58 PM   #23

Cheap way to stabilize your trailer

Run-out jacks are an interesting idea that that could provide some improvement over scissor jacks and would most useful in reducing potential tip-over under very high wind conditions. However the supports as pictured would seem to do little to reduce sideways motion, fore-and-aft movement, horizontal rotation, and vertical motion resulting from trailer frame flexibility and its suspension components (springs and tires). All of these other kinds of trailer instabilities are very annoying to a lot of folks and can only be significantly reduced by placing additional jacks near the tires to take some of the load off the suspension system, and also adding diagonal horizontal and longitudinal bracing from the frame to the ground, as is accomplished by some of the commercially available stabilizing systems. The good news is for less than a $100 a do-it-yourselfer can buy a set of four Walmart jacks, some thinwall round fence tubing, frame clamps, nuts and bolts, a length of 2X treated wood for pads, and build himself a simple diagonal trailer stabilizing system that is rock-solid (and can be diassembled and reused as needed).
Alexha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 01:18 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexha View Post
Run-out jacks are an interesting idea that that could provide some improvement over scissor jacks and would most useful in reducing potential tip-over under very high wind conditions. However the supports as pictured would seem to do little to reduce sideways motion, fore-and-aft movement, horizontal rotation, and vertical motion resulting from trailer frame flexibility and its suspension components (springs and tires). All of these other kinds of trailer instabilities are very annoying to a lot of folks and can only be significantly reduced by placing additional jacks near the tires to take some of the load off the suspension system, and also adding diagonal horizontal and longitudinal bracing from the frame to the ground, as is accomplished by some of the commercially available stabilizing systems. The good news is for less than a $100 a do-it-yourselfer can buy a set of four Walmart jacks, some thinwall round fence tubing, frame clamps, nuts and bolts, a length of 2X treated wood for pads, and build himself a simple diagonal trailer stabilizing system that is rock-solid (and can be diassembled and reused as needed).
Yes I have bought those before BUT can those be set wider than the width of your trailer so they can provide better stability during a storm? Beautiful weather is not a permanent thing! I left the original jacks on the trailer so people can see how far apart the jacks sit. But thank you for your feed back greatly appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	265
Size:	405.8 KB
ID:	73916  
Old 04-11-2015, 01:21 PM   #25

Sounds interesting, no pictures on Public Profile either.
tomrob1161 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 02:42 PM   #26

Here are the pictures of this set up so you guys can have an idea of what's being used!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-26 - Drawings - GARZA.JUAN-LZ.001PP.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	150.8 KB
ID:	73921   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-26 - Drawings 3 - GARZA.JUAN-LZ.001PP.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	151.9 KB
ID:	73922   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-26 - Drawings 4 - GARZA.JUAN-LZ.001PP.jpg
Views:	164
Size:	116.4 KB
ID:	73923   Click image for larger version

Name:	2015-03-26 - Drawings 2 - GARZA.JUAN-LZ.001PP.jpg
Views:	155
Size:	217.8 KB
ID:	73924  
Old 04-11-2015, 04:31 PM   #27

TSAWES???

THSKE (Tiske) Too Heavy Shin Killer Expensive.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.
Henboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 04:46 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henboy View Post
TSAWES???

THSKE (Tiske) Too Heavy Shin Killer Expensive.

Sorry, I just couldn't help myself.
Haha, no problem
Old 04-11-2015, 04:53 PM   #29
Mod free 5er

Might kill another bird by tilting the mounting tube slightly and get more side to side stabilization or a little fancier by tilting it both outward and back on the rear and outward and forward on the front and get 4 way stabilization.
Old 04-11-2015, 05:06 PM   #30

From what I see..I'd be worried about bending the setup going over low spots.I already bent 2 of the factory stabilizers going in & out of my driveway and they are up higher.
Outriggers are not new & there is a reason they are not offered thru manufacturer.
JMO Interesting concept though!
grumpyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 08:29 PM   #31

That's a great idea. Been using that on Fire Dept. ladder trucks forever. The shin buster could be an issue but I would think a cover for them with a little padding would go along way to helping with that problem. Good job.
2018 F250 Lariat (ok but I miss my F150)

Getting old ain't for wimps!!!
Stormrider151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2015, 09:10 PM   #32

It's a great Idea, having them stick out. The fact that they create a wider base and this should make the trailer more stable. Keep us posted as you try it out on how well it works and remember there is always room for improvement. An orange cover that will keep all the knees from injury especially if it is padded, or maybe some foam pipe insulation over some key spots. Just a thought.
Old 04-12-2015, 12:21 AM   #33

there would be some liability issues with these. for your own personal use, it would be like the ball mount in your truck I imagine. after a couple shin whacks it becomes an autonomous function. you just clear it without thinking about it. not putting your awning in carport would prolly save you in the front but the back would prolly snag you. in a wide open oil field in tornado alley, it just might save your bacon. maybe some of OC's awning poles in a flying buttress capacity for the really big storms...
Crockett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 11:17 AM   #34

Kinda in the way to trip over. JMHO
Learjet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:30 PM   #35

To all that think this idea is Bad because of the (Tripping/Knee Banging) what about (Dog screws for awning and Dogs/ bicycles/ Satellite Dish/ Solar lights/water hoses and filters staked into ground/ clothes lines /Nascar Flags/BBQ grills and lines for tanks /to just name a few! Not counting the Empty Beer & Wine Bottles! Like the C/W Song says (Hes ah Thinkin and Your ah Drinkin)! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:36 PM   #36

Would this not add a LOT of weight to the trailer ?
pfeather1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 12:44 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
To all that think this idea is Bad because of the (Tripping/Knee Banging) what about (Dog screws for awning and Dogs/ bicycles/ Satellite Dish/ Solar lights/water hoses and filters staked into ground/ clothes lines /Nascar Flags/BBQ grills and lines for tanks /to just name a few! Not counting the Empty Beer & Wine Bottles! Like the C/W Song says (Hes ah Thinkin and Your ah Drinkin)! Youroo!!
I know huh!!
Old 04-12-2015, 07:29 PM   #38

Looks like a good idea to me, tweak it and sell it. Don't pay attention to the sky is falling crowd. We have enough idiot stickers on products in our lives. Some will find a toothpick too dangerous.
kbroadnax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 08:51 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by kbroadnax View Post
Looks like a good idea to me, tweak it and sell it. Don't pay attention to the sky is falling crowd. We have enough idiot stickers on products in our lives. Some will find a toothpick too dangerous.
Those are my plans and thank you! It's just weird that even if you add a reflector, a light they still say it's a knee capper
Old 04-12-2015, 08:54 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfeather1 View Post
Would this not add a LOT of weight to the trailer ?
It will add some weight but taking off the jacks it has will also take some weight off. In order to do what it's intended, it needs to be made of a strong material...

Tags
jacks, trailer