Old 10-22-2015, 09:35 AM   #31
Originally Posted by Blackhat6mike View Post
TIRES!! When we bought our Aviator, we didn't have to think what to change or add as three of the 4 China Bombs exploded on us on our first 350 mile trip. They were under rated for the unit, but I didn't know it at the time. Went from D rated to E rated tires. So far, so good.
TPMS didn't do any good except to let us know they had blown out. No warning, just BOOM! Pressures and temps were all good, just tires were trash. Standard for FR products. Towmax tires.
I've now updated the physics and math I did to check the loading of the tires on my trailer.
I assumed that I'm travelling on a curve where there is a yellow advisory speed limit sign. It turns out that government regulations pretty much define the lateral g forces if you take a curve at the advisory speed, so it's pretty straightforward physics to figure out the weight transfer to the outside tires at a curve.
Assuming my math is right (it's a little crude, but generally correct I think), my outside tires could see 400lbs to 500lbs of increased load each time I take a curve at the posted advisory speed.
Since the factory tires are pushed to very near their maximum load rating with the trailer standing still, this means 400lbs to 500lbs of overload on tires that are only rated for 1760lbs.

No wonder RVers have so many tire problems!!!
It seems to me that NHTSA is asleep on the job on this issue.

Gyrogearloose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2015, 09:47 AM   #32
We just purchased a travel trailer yesterday, and here is what we purchased so far:

water pressure regulator
Dog bones for different amperage camping
Vent covers
Carpeted the first step-up for clean entry

I bought but haven't received some storage options:
Over the door paper towel holder
Screen cover for cooking with grease inside
Roast pan
Shower organizer
A few 3m strips to hang items on
Over the door bathroom organizer for under the sink

I am definitely going through the suggested mods and looking into them too!

ApexBunk is offline   Reply With Quote

cat, modifications