Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-08-2012, 10:45 PM   #1
Mod free 5er

Night Light for Door

Has anyone added a light by the door lock to light the key hole? Would like to add one with a light sensor that would automatically light it at night. Concerned with fishing a wire inside the wall and avoiding drilling a hole in the door framing.
OldCoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 10:50 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Do you have a light by the door already that you can remove to install a motion light in its place ?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012, 11:08 PM   #3
Mod free 5er

No, it is down low on the right side of the door in the alum roll under panel. Need something up around the key. Don't like to leave the outside lights on when we happen to be gone after dark.
Old 03-09-2012, 01:14 AM   #4
Drinkin beer on the beach

Would a lighted handle help? I was looking at the ones at camping world... All of my light switches inside are pretty close by, I think I could pop them out, pickup my 12v there, and have room to fish the wire around.
Rod Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dunnnc View Post
No, it is down low on the right side of the door in the alum roll under panel. Need something up around the key. Don't like to leave the outside lights on when we happen to be gone after dark.
Smart Light 1000 - Star Lights, Inc.

We installed one of these. You turn it on and it can operate full time or by sensor. We use the sensor activation by turning the switch on then off and back on again. It only operates after dark and when there's someone walking by to activate it.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 12:12 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

The Smart light looks like a good idea. May try that or the lighted handle. Thanks for the ideas.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #7
Mod free 5er

Night light for Door

Think I just found a solution to the night light for the door. Found remote control light switch with 2 key fob controls for less than $20. Amazon.com: Used and New: RM01 1 Channel Wireless Control On/Off
Old 03-15-2012, 04:50 PM   #8
Mod free 5er

Night light for Door

Just eliminated the need to add a light by the door. I installed a remote control on the porch light that works great. Just opened the control panel and found a 12v hot wire, stripped off a spot, soldered the 12v In wire from the remote, stripped off a spot on the 12v lead to the porch light, soldered the 12v Out wire from the remote, connected the 2 ground wires from the remote to the ground bundle behind the control panel and everything works great. Control panel porch switch will turn the light on/off as normal and if the porch light is off, I can turn it on & off with the 2 remote key fobs. Only thing is that if I turn it on with the key fob, I have to turn it off with the key fob, but don't see that as a problem.