Old 06-28-2016, 06:28 AM   #11
MCTroy

We keep the heater on gas to avoid tripping the 30 amp circuit. Air conditioner, tv , microwave and then the electric heating element hits, and click! Much easier to just leave it on gas unless we are in a hurry and need the electric boost. But we try not to hurry when camping!

Hurry Spring 2018! We have plans ready!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:40 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by dahagen View Post
Cowboy...As long as the water heater has water in it, and I am living in the RV, I leave the gas switch on all time. If we need quick recovery for the hot water, like two showers in a row, I turn on the electric switch. When all showers and dishes are done, I turn the electric off. Propane and electric on at the same time really heats the water fast!
Why would you waste propane heating the water if you have electricity available unless of course you need to run a generator for electricity. If you have shore power the electricity is much cheaper than needing to go get your propane tanks filled and you don't have to worry about running out of it

Old 06-29-2016, 01:50 AM   #13

Well thats good to know water seems to heat up okay but for the boost that is good to know. As far as turning those switches on and off well I'm in Vegas for a week so they are off for now lol
Old 06-29-2016, 05:00 AM   #14
Sky&Scuba

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShermanD View Post
Why would you waste propane heating the water if you have electricity available unless of course you need to run a generator for electricity. If you have shore power the electricity is much cheaper than needing to go get your propane tanks filled and you don't have to worry about running out of it
Yea if we are at a campground with 30 amp service we are using electricity for the water heater.

We had one camper we owned that had a both gas and electric on/off switches in the camper for the water heater. Seems like they don't do that anymore and the electric cut off switch is outside on the water heater it's self. I don't like that yea you could cut off the water heater from the breaker, but I end up installing my own electric on/off switch with pilot light that will be lit when on.