Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-05-2018, 07:38 AM   #1
Ala

Observation camera

I have a 2017 cedar creek silverback addition fifth wheel camper with a furrion wireless observation camera. I am going to replace the wireless camera with a hard wired camera.What I am wanting to know is there a way to run a hard wire from the present observation camera to the bottom of the camperl without removing the electronics inside?
Ala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:36 AM   #2

camera

You don't state why your replacing the wireless.

If it due to reception. Here's what cured that problem on my 36CKTS.

I moved the camera antenna to the front cap.

Haven't had reception problem since.

C.B.
cbvp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2018, 11:46 AM   #3

From the "What did you do to your camper today" forum.

Started to install a rear view camera on the back of my TT.

Story so far...

I didn't want a wired system but during research found that unless you buy a very expensive unit you might get interference or intermittent video feed, even then you still might.

So I decided to cut down on the distance for the transmitter by wiring the camera from the back to the transmitter in the front. I took a 25' analog home surveillance cable and ran it from the rear cabinet through the A/C duct to the front cabinet. I will secure it to the inside edge of the duct with a dab of expansion foam to prevent the cable from interfering with the vents.

I wanted to mount the camera up high so a license plate camera was out of the question and after looking at a plethora of other rear view cameras, bracket mounted, flush mounted, etc, I decided to again go with a home surveillance waterproof CCD dome camera. The good thing is it directly connects to the cable.

I drilled a hole through the rear of the TT just below the aluminum frame (so at least two of the screws would be in metal) and mounted the dome camera. (you can see how the factory doesn't seem to care about measurements as the marker lights are not even close to being centered) Running the wires through the hole to the cable inside the overhead cabinets and secured all wiring.

At the other end I connected and secured the wireless transmitter. I have a 12v source in that cabinet from the couch overhead light to power the transmitter.

In the TV I had purchased a dual channel Bluetooth rear view mirror and wired both feeds to a SPDT rocker switch on the dash. When I push the switch down it shows the view from my license plate camera for hitching and when I press it in the up position it powers on my wireless receiver to receive signal from the TT. I wired it that way because these wireless components can get very warm and by only having it powered while using it cuts down on overheating. I mounted the transmitter in the TT to a heat sink.

I went from over 40' of transmitting to under 20' and the picture is clear and stable. I spent less than $50 for everything.