Old 09-19-2019, 12:08 PM   #1

Onan Installation and bee wasp rodent prevention?

I am in the process of installing my Onan 4kw generator in our 2019 Nitro 28kw. Looking at the hot air/exhaust output opening, and seeing this as a potential bee/wasp/rodent issue? Has anyone had issues with these pests getting in the generator? Opinions or issues on installing expanded metal mesh similar to that for venting on the gen compartment door over the opening below?

Thanks in advance for anything you can provide on the subject.

CJ

Captain Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 06:55 AM   #2

I have not seen screens on the generator cooling air outlet, inlet yes I believe the operation of the generator makes living on the outlet side less then comfortable for insects post some pics of your installation sounds like an interesting project to me.

2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 09:53 AM   #3

Bee careful! of you put any screening on those openings it has the potential for restricting air flow and could overheat the gennie. Nothing smaller than 1/4" birdscreen or there will be restriction and that's too big for bugs.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2019, 11:18 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
I have not seen screens on the generator cooling air outlet, inlet yes I believe the operation of the generator makes living on the outlet side less then comfortable for insects post some pics of your installation sounds like an interesting project to me.
Thanks Sea Dog, not sure how often we will use it (gen set) and was thinking of the off season and in between uses/trips. Seems these pests move in quick. Trying to save myself aggravation by being proactive. It's my nature!
Everything Outdoors/Hunting/Shorthairs/Fishing
ATVs/Harleys
Old 09-20-2019, 11:25 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by nayther View Post
Bee careful! of you put any screening on those openings it has the potential for restricting air flow and could overheat the gennie. Nothing smaller than 1/4" birdscreen or there will be restriction and that's too big for bugs.
Thanks Nayther,

I would be running the air temperature test as provided by Onan should I try anything, so I would catch anything before the overheating would occur. To get around the restriction, it would need to be a screen with a basket or larger area of screen than the hot air exit opening on bottom of genie. It can be done without over restricting air flow.

Why I was asking, prior to thinking so hard! Cheers!
ATVs/Harleys
Old 09-20-2019, 09:58 PM   #6

Moth balls in ventilated containers, such as spice bottles, somewhere in the cavity.
EdnKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2019, 10:43 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by EdnKat View Post
Moth balls in ventilated containers, such as spice bottles, somewhere in the cavity.
Thank you EdnKat, that is easy! Think Iíll try that first!👍
Old 09-21-2019, 11:34 AM   #8

If you're just concerned when it's parked for long periods, fashion a clip in cover for it. something with light enough friction so if you forget about it it will blow off when it's started. (or just a piece of aluminum foil)
Old 09-21-2019, 02:55 PM   #9

Onan Installation and bee wasp rodent prevention?

Hi Captain Jim,
I don't have a built-in genny. I use a Honda 2000i.
But I agree with previous poster that say "block the openings" when not in use and pull them before operation.

As far as material goes, I use Stainless Steel wool to block critters from coming into my ham shack through PVC antenna conduits. I found the SS wool at my local Ace Hardware and it works great. The wool comes in "ball" and the stuff won't shed into small pieces. mine came three balls of wool to the package.
Jeff
Old 09-23-2019, 09:54 AM   #10

TryingToLearn and jeff_s,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, mostly concerned while parked or stored between uses for sure. Will have to give some thought to that, not sure how I would make a removable cover or a permanent one as it has to go around the exhaust pipe coming down?

At a stop until I figure out the route I will go, as once the exhaust is installed, it will get more difficult, certainly for any permanent install.
ATVs/Harleys
Old 09-23-2019, 12:33 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
TryingToLearn and jeff_s,

Thanks for the feedback. Yes, mostly concerned while parked or stored between uses for sure. Will have to give some thought to that, not sure how I would make a removable cover or a permanent one as it has to go around the exhaust pipe coming down?

At a stop until I figure out the route I will go, as once the exhaust is installed, it will get more difficult, certainly for any permanent install.

When storing motorcycles itís recommended to put some stainless steel wool in the exhaust(s) to keep rodents out. Suspect would work with wasps, hornets, bees...

Funny story, my brother was riding his motorcycle with me and a group of riders and his headlight went out. We bought a new headlight and proceeded to remove the old one. A bunch of corn feed fell out on the floor, must have not been enough cooling on the headlight. A couple months before, he hit a deer in a minor accident and dented his tank. Upon seeing the corn in his headlight housing we suggested he was baiting the deer in.

In case you missed it, the rodents were storing corn there. Imagine popcorn coming out the exhaust.
mjbenedict is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2019, 09:08 PM   #12

Yup, too funny! I am real good about putting down lots of mothballs around my bikes! Under the bike and cover. Also did this for years winterizing our boats. Never had mice yet.

Never used them in our slide-in we had years ago, but it was pretty high up and never had mice. Making the inside of our rv smell like mothballs is not seeming like a good option.
Using peppermint extract/oil for now. Smells pretty good so far.

Just hate to have to deal with bees or wasps, and certainly don't want wiring or anything chewed up in the gennie! Moth balls may find their way in there!
Old 10-09-2019, 07:29 PM   #13

Onan Install Completion, went well, very pleased!

Well, I finally found some time, when it wasn't raining to install my Onan 4KW Evap unit. Turn out to be a bit more work than I had thought, but went all out with the sound proofing and wiring. I removed the floor board and cut out the vinyl flooring and it said to do in the compartment. Decided it would be easier to install and wanted the compartment as weather proof and rodent/insect proof as possible. So, installed 1/8" aluminum plate floor with proper cut out for hot air/exhaust exit. Added a 3/4" square aluminum frame a bit larger than the required hot air opening to attach rodent/insect mesh to, and pop riveted that to floor from the top.

I then sealed the floor to all the side walls with caulk. I then lined the inside of the box with Kilmat, taped all seams and lower corners previously caulked, with aluminum tape. I then applied Kilmat to the gen box on the inside of the trailer, installed an electrical box inside on the upper front corner where all the wiring goes through, and ran Liquid Tight flex from there to gen, and inside to a manual transfer switch where I also ran a line that goes to the back of my truck where I have a large Tripp Lite Inverter. Installed the generator, with fuel, Evap, and ground lines coming in through rubber grommets in aluminum floor.

Now that all the wiring and hose connections were done, slid the gen in to place to bolt it down, and wouldn't you know, 3 of the 6 bolts line up, the other 3 holes, in the plates welded on the frame at Forest River/Lippert, are all off by 1/8" -1/4"! Had to lift up the gen so I could grind out the holes without trashing the threaded holes on gen.

I then removed carpet and plywood next to the bed over the gen box (not fun, assembled before installed in trailer! All stapled from inside! Grrrrrr!) finished the Kilmat inside, and wrapped the whole box with 2-4" of Thermofiber dense sound insulation and wrapped/sealed that with heavy mil poly stapled to floor and up the sides and top of bed framing.

Installed the exhaust pipes, rodent/insect mesh, and Onan Resonator.

While doing this project, I realized I may want access to the power converter/battery charger that is closed up in that area under the bed, along with the automatic transfer, and also realized there was wasted space and my dehumidifier/air cleaner/sanitizer would store there, so I cut the plywood and added hinges like the under bed storage area. Also added some legs to hold both of those compartment doors up for easier access!

I am very surprised, and pleased how this all turned out, and how quiet the gen runs. Ran the air temp test per Onan, and we are Golden!

Thanks for all the support, suggestions, and ideas along the way. I have some pictures to share and hope this give others some help and ideas.
This should be a rodent/pest free installation saving me $1800 over having CW do it, and more saving considering they didn't quote any of the sound insulating work! A weekend well spent!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2556.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	311.4 KB
ID:	216926   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2568.jpg
Views:	25
Size:	255.0 KB
ID:	216927   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2570.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	342.7 KB
ID:	216928   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2572.jpg
Size:	262.1 KB
ID:	216929   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2574.jpg
Size:	270.9 KB
ID:	216930  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2573.jpg
Views:	22
Size:	453.6 KB
ID:	216931   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2575.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	191.7 KB
ID:	216933   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2580.jpg
Views:	18
Size:	229.9 KB
ID:	216934  
Old 10-10-2019, 06:40 AM   #14

That looks great, nice job!
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2019, 08:32 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwilcox View Post
That looks great, nice job!
Thank you!
ATVs/Harleys
Old 10-10-2019, 09:40 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjbenedict View Post
When storing motorcycles itís recommended to put some stainless steel wool in the exhaust(s) to keep rodents out. Suspect would work with wasps, hornets, bees...

Funny story, my brother was riding his motorcycle with me and a group of riders and his headlight went out. We bought a new headlight and proceeded to remove the old one. A bunch of corn feed fell out on the floor, must have not been enough cooling on the headlight. A couple months before, he hit a deer in a minor accident and dented his tank. Upon seeing the corn in his headlight housing we suggested he was baiting the deer in.

In case you missed it, the rodents were storing corn there. Imagine popcorn coming out the exhaust.
Similar story, friend's Kawasaki Concurs (big touring bike) got knocked over by a car in a parking lot. We picked it up, would not start. He remembered that there was a tip over switch and a procedure for clearing out excess fuel in the injectors or something so we had to remove the air filter. Pulled out the air filter and out came a large handful of dog chow. The rodents had been stealing his dog's food and storing it in his air box.

nayther is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
onan, vent