Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-02-2016, 05:45 PM   #1

Onan Remote Oil Drain Mod

Changing the generator oil on my 2014 SS1913 toy hauler has been a massive chore. The Onan 4K is mounted in a side cabinet in such a way that the drain plug is directly over the trailer's I-beam frame. Directly below the frame are the grey and black dump valves. Even with a second set of hands helping, it's impossible to drain the oil without a decent amount getting on the frame, valves and concrete below.

This past weekend, I built an extension for the drain plug and routed it outside where it's easily accessible.

Before I drained the oil, I picked up the parts and built the original elbow fitting using 1/4" NPT as per literally EVERY online source I could find for the Microquiet 4K model. When I attempted to install the elbow, I found out that it's NOT 1/4 - but an M12x1.5 bolt. That's right - Metric. Back to the hardware store....

I picked up a M12x1.5 to 9/16th flare adapter and a 9/16th JIC flare to barb elbow to replace the 1/4" stuff, and several inches of heat and oil-resistant hose.

On the other end, I added a ball valve and safety cap and secured the valve to the frame with a padded hose clamp.

Next time I change the oil, all I have to do is remove the clamp and cap, and open the valve.

I hope this helps someone in a similar situation.

'21 GMC 2500HD Denali Duramax, '22 Genesis Vortex 3219VXL and many years as a happy FR Stealth 1913 owner... which is why I'm still here
vocoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 09:51 PM   #2

Nice work! EZ oil drain makes a factory version with a drain hose and cap. I installed one on my DS30 FR3 motorhome this fall.

2014 FR330 DS
Technorick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
drain, modifications