Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-01-2016, 04:59 PM   #1

Opening frameless windows further

Cold and rainy day here so what to do on the camper

The darn windows that don't open very far have been bugging me. I know that the hinge can handle opening more, as the emergency exit one will open well over 45 degrees! The arms aren't even traveling to the ends of the gears on the crank mechanism so that is not an issue either. The only thing limiting the distance is the spacer in the track on the window that keeps the arms from moving closer together.

On first inspection, it looked like I would have to remove the two rivets that hold the crank mechanism to the frame so that I could slide the arms out of one side of the track and remove the spacer and cut it shorter. After thinking about it more, I noticed that there were screws on the hinge at the top of the window on the outside of the camper. On inspection, these screws are what keeps the window from sliding out of the hinge track.

I opened the window just enough so that the track at the bottom of the glass, where the opener arms travel, would clear the side of the camper. Then I removed one of the screws at the top on the hinge outside and slid the window just enough so that one of the opener arms came out of the track. This allowed me to remove the spacer. I then reinstalled the arm while sliding the window back into position.

The result is windows that will open much further! I carefully tested and found that the crank system had no issues traveling all the way to the center, when opening or closing. I will likely cut down the spacers and reinstall them though. The short, long, double window that is over the kitchen causes the arms to flex quite a bit when opened fully... I don't like that so I will find a comfortable distance and measure how long the spacers need to be, cut, and reinstall them. The taller window by the couch does not flex the arms until almost fully opened, due to the radius being larger from the taller window. The flexing does not seem to be nearly as much of an issue on this window. I do think that I will still put in a short piece of spacer though. That last 20% of travel only gives you about 1/4" of opening and most of the arm flex is created there.

Sorry I didn't take any pictures but the rain was starting up again as I was trying to finish up.

Old 05-01-2016, 05:13 PM   #2

Great post and find! WOW nice tip! I am gonna do that to my 23s when I get a chance! I too would like them to open farther. Thanks for sharing! I sure do wish you had pics!
Old 05-01-2016, 05:19 PM   #3

Post 6 in this thread: http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ore-43732.html described the same solution. I did the same thing Friday, cut three inches off the foot-long plastic spacer. I may yet cut off another inch, but not sure it will gain me much more - now the kitchen windows open twice as much as they used to, so the DW is happy, for now.
Thanks to member gooiebob!
'95 Coleman popup - sold it after serving us well

SERENITY NOW!
SkyWatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2016, 05:25 PM   #4

Nice find SkyWatcher!

I didn't take time to look at the forums... just looked at the windows and said, 'hey, I've got an idea...' It must be a good idea since I wasn't the first to think of it

Post #17 in the thread that Skywatcher linked to has some great pictures about how to do it. I won't bother taking any as Andymil did a great job there already
Old 05-01-2016, 06:10 PM   #5

Just finished 3 on my 23ws! Super easy and way better, I like them opening farther!
Thanks again and on to the next mod!
Old 05-02-2016, 03:07 PM   #6

Window Mod

No one have a picture??
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2016, 06:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqparalegal1 View Post
No one have a picture??

Read post 4...................On a side note I will not do this, my window has broke to many times as it is, waiting for another new window to be installed hopping third time is a charm for this window!!!!!

2013 Ford F150 3.5 ECO SCREW
TT233S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 10:13 AM   #8

TT233S... Just curious how your window has broken? Might be a good lesson for some of us that are good at breaking things
Old 05-03-2016, 12:36 PM   #9

While driving the window comes open on it own and just flap in the wind!!!!!

2013 Ford F150 3.5 ECO SCREW
TT233S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 01:56 PM   #10

Anyone have any pictures yet?

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
urocav2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 02:06 PM   #11

Read the whole thread... as already said above, click on the link that SkyWatcher posted and there are EXCELLENT pictures in that thread!

no need to eat up extra space on the server.
Old 05-31-2017, 05:56 AM   #12

Anyone know where to buy the replacement hardware for these windows? I want to buy several of the entire crank assembly. I can't seem to find anything on that from lippert, CW or any of the oulther usual sellers of replacement parts. Thanks.

Tags
frame