Old 04-22-2010, 01:36 AM   #1

opinions wanted on replacing cracked linoleum with adhesive vinyl linoleum squares

the factory linoleum is a complete disaster in my rig. it was in rough shape when i bought it last spring, and when i took it out of winter storage last week i couldnt believe my eyes. it split EVERYWHERE. its 10x worse than it was......completely non-livable to my standards. i looked at a travel trailer that the owner replaced the oem linoleum with vinyl adhesive squares. it looked really nice, but i just dont know how long it will last. it cant really split because they are only 12x12 or 18x18 pieces. the only thing i could see happening is two pieces "buckling" together at the seam. does anyone have any experience with doing this, or an advice? any installation tips?

i would like to add that i am not looking for something real ritzy, i just want something that will last. i dont need laminate flooring.... my travel trailer is my toy hauler/party wagon......not my retirement home away from home.

that being said, hopefully i get some good input here. im all ears!

2012 Dodge 2500 - deleted and tuned by H&S performance
Bocephus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 07:52 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Never done that myself, but I have seen it done in pop ups. Should work, what have you got to loose? Just remove all the old floring and fill in any cracks before you put the tiles down. Good luck,

2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 11:27 AM   #3

Honestly I wouldn't waste your time. I would put new sheet flooring down of a moderate quality. My experience with the tile type vinyl is they are not worth the money and the cracks allow "stuff" to get in and under them! This is not to say they won't work but I think you would be happier with the sheet product. More work but better result!

Good luck with what ever you choose. If you go with sheet goods make a template and cut it an 1" larger all the way around then lay it out in the sun so it becomes supple. Then take it in and cut it to fit then glue it.
Old 04-22-2010, 11:34 AM   #4

My father had used the Lino squares in our basement when I was younger and more recently in his bathroom. After a year or two they look like crap. They tend to move and the seams get wider, just looks lousy. That's on floors that don't move. I'd think of something different.
Nights camped in 2009: 53 | Nights camped in 2010: 55
www.nwjeepn.com
NWJeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2010, 02:42 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bocephus View Post
the factory linoleum is a complete disaster in my rig. it was in rough shape when i bought it last spring, and when i took it out of winter storage last week i couldnt believe my eyes. it split EVERYWHERE. its 10x worse than it was......completely non-livable to my standards. i looked at a travel trailer that the owner replaced the oem linoleum with vinyl adhesive squares. it looked really nice, but i just dont know how long it will last. it cant really split because they are only 12x12 or 18x18 pieces. the only thing i could see happening is two pieces "buckling" together at the seam. does anyone have any experience with doing this, or an advice? any installation tips?

i would like to add that i am not looking for something real ritzy, i just want something that will last. i dont need laminate flooring.... my travel trailer is my toy hauler/party wagon......not my retirement home away from home.

that being said, hopefully i get some good input here. im all ears!
Home Depot in Canada has vinyl plank flooring that comes in approx. 8 inch by 36 inch long "strips" The flooring "floats" because it actually overlaps and glues each piece to itself. I looked it up, it is called allure vinyl plank flooring (around $2.25 sq. ft.).

The product even had a checker plate look that would look cool in a toyhauler (IMO!!!). You should be able to find it in the flooring section. Friends of mine installed it on an old and out of level floor of their restaurant. This is really high traffic with snowy winters etc. The floor looked no worse for the wear a year later. With this stuff you won't get the separation of the traditional stick down tiles. The flooring was an oak plank look, if I have this problem some day I will look at this option.

good luck,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Plank_WTY.pdf (2.01 MB, 57 views)
Old 04-29-2010, 12:00 PM   #6

I also had the flooring split 2 years ago and installed the Allure Traffic Master planks. The flooring floats and I sealed it around the edges with clear silicone than trim. Looked great. The stick down tiles won't hold up in cold weather and if something gets spilled it will enter the cracks to the sub floor and your sunk.
Old 04-30-2010, 09:02 PM   #7
Knower of Some Things

Floating floor or fully glued vinyl. The splitting happened because Forest River didn't glue it down like they should have, and it got so cold that it shrank & finally cracked.
The self adhere sticky tile is bad enough in a house. Now, picture it constantly expanding & contracting & contorting down the road.
Old 05-01-2010, 01:27 AM   #8

I've been looking at garage flooring and if/how it could be used in my rig. Not sure I would ever do it... but it could be a good fit depending on how you use your trailer.

No floor takes more abuse than the garage... Massive temperature changes, extreme weight changes, dirt, water, etc..

A link that peaked my interest:

http://www.americangaragefloor.com/b...oor-levant.php
Old 05-04-2010, 02:08 PM   #9

Sounds like what was happening to my Linoleum in my Forest River unit too. I removed anything that was screwed to the floor, ripped up all the Linoleum, painted the plywood floor with some marine paint & then put down carpet around the bed and sofa areas. I installed those 12x12 sticky Vinyl Tiles (Armstrong...I think) in the kitchen area & bathroom last year. It was super easy to install (floor must be absolutely clean) as long as you are patient and lay them down so they are flush. They match up perfectly if you do it right. Easy to cut and work with. I finished the bathroom section recently after the past winter cracked the linoleum I had left in there last year and I tried lifting some tile that I was not happy with at the bathroom door and the thing came up in bits and pieces. Sealed the edges with some caulk for a finished look. This past winter we had -40 F and the tile looks fine. No binding or opened up seams. I think the warmer the day you install them and press down with a soft blow hammer the better. Totally happy with the install...I will try and get some photo's up this weekend to give you a better Idea.

2004 Forest River RV Salem T23FBL
2007 Trailblazer SS...I mod because I can!
MaxPe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2010, 03:41 PM   #10
CLASS "A" Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TulsaSteve View Post
I've been looking at garage flooring and if/how it could be used in my rig. Not sure I would ever do it... but it could be a good fit depending on how you use your trailer.

No floor takes more abuse than the garage... Massive temperature changes, extreme weight changes, dirt, water, etc..

A link that peaked my interest:

http://www.americangaragefloor.com/b...oor-levant.php
Nice looking stuff. If only I could keep my stuff that neatly organized.

2007 Georgetown 370TS
aka - RAYNMKR

Driver: Charlie
Navigator: Sheri
cfsoistman is online now   Reply With Quote