Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-16-2012, 11:59 AM   #1

Outdoor Gas Grill...what do you recommend?

Our new to us, 2008 Rockwood Roo 23ss has a direct gas line hook-up for a grill, but the camper didn't come with one. There is also a place on the side of the unit for a grill to rest...would like to get one for the camping season next spring and wanted to see what everyone would suggest.

Thanks in adavnce!

Cheryl

2008 Roo 23SS
2007 Toyota 4Runner 4x4 V8
caston217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 01:51 PM   #2

We use the RVQ grill and are very satisfied with it.

http://rvqgrill.com/cart/item.asp?it...rue&pgnum=1&p0=

We actually have the orignial version which they don't sell anymore, but may still be around on eBAY etc. The cooking quality is as good or better than our full size patio gas grill. Also many RV dealers see replacement parts.

It is a little pricey, (like everything else that specifically targets the RV market) but, I think it is worth it because of convienence and ease of clean up.
SimchaSabre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 06:53 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by caston217 View Post
Our new to us, 2008 Rockwood Roo 23ss has a direct gas line hook-up for a grill, but the camper didn't come with one. There is also a place on the side of the unit for a grill to rest...would like to get one for the camping season next spring and wanted to see what everyone would suggest.

Thanks in adavnce!

Cheryl
You want something like this: Stainless Steel Mountable Grill - Camco RV 57305 - Gas Grills - Camping World .The important thing to remember is that the supply from your trailer propane system is already regulated down to low pressure. Most "regular" bbq grills are designed to operate from high pressure propane tanks via the pressure regulator that is an integral part of the grill and will not burn properly when "double regulated" (i.e. - through the trailer-mounted regulator AND the grill-mounted regulator)

...VTX-Al
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:26 PM   #4
Site Team

i agree with VTX Al. that would be the one i would buy, if mine hadn't come with one.
and yes, the pigtail line is LOW pressure, so other types of grills, like Colemans, will not work with the pigtail.
only low pressure grills will.
you can check Ebay and find RVQ and Sidekick grills that people are selling.
the Sidekick has been the OEM FR grill for a number of years.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 10:53 PM   #5
Anacortesians

We have a Weber Q220 and love its performance. I decided I didn't want a long flexible hose with high pressure propane in it and I'd heard that many system regulators on motorhomes weren't sensitive enoough for the relatively low flow rates of the grill.

I chose to buy a "squatty" 10-lb cylinder that has the same base ring as a 20-pounder. I got a base stabilizer from Camping World, bolted it down in one of the cargo bays and it holds the cylinder really well for transit.

My only gripe is that the Q220 is about 3/4" too tall, with the lid on, to go into a cargo bay on my rig, so I have to separate the lid and the base to store it. Not a big deal, as the lid is on a couple of dowel pins with spring clips.

I'd defintely recommend the Weber.
Old 11-16-2012, 11:40 PM   #6
Oklahoma Proud

Our optional grill was the Side kick. Works for what we do, hotdogs and such. We have an outside kitchen so we also have the outside 2 burner stove- think its suburban
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 09:42 AM   #7
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by F and E Damp
We have a Weber Q220 and love its performance. I decided I didn't want a long flexible hose with high pressure propane in it and I'd heard that many system regulators on motorhomes weren't sensitive enoough for the relatively low flow rates of the grill.

I chose to buy a "squatty" 10-lb cylinder that has the same base ring as a 20-pounder. I got a base stabilizer from Camping World, bolted it down in one of the cargo bays and it holds the cylinder really well for transit.

My only gripe is that the Q220 is about 3/4" too tall, with the lid on, to go into a cargo bay on my rig, so I have to separate the lid and the base to store it. Not a big deal, as the lid is on a couple of dowel pins with spring clips.

I'd defintely recommend the Weber.
X2 for Weber 220...portable grill with large home grill features.

Old 11-17-2012, 03:36 PM   #8
Site Team

one point. the OP is requesting info on a grill that can use the pigtail hose and the side rail.
grills like the Weber can't. it's a high pressure grill and can't be mounted on the side rail.

i found some Sidekick grills on Ebay for around $150. our Sidekick grill has worked great for the 6 years we've owned the trailer.

with the grill option, you also got a little folding table that attaches to the side rail. real nice for setting seasonings and plates on.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 05:55 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I read the OP's thread as, "what should I do?". In that case, given the fact that your trailer has a pigtail connection and a mount, I would get the Weber Q220. My 5er came with a grill, but I still carry my Weber and use it for most everything. I use the RVQ for hotdogs and keeping things warm, which is about all I found it's good for.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2012, 06:07 PM   #10
Camper Less Camping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65
I read the OP's thread as, "what should I do?". In that case, given the fact that your trailer has a pigtail connection and a mount, I would get the Weber Q220. My 5er came with a grill, but I still carry my Weber and use it for most everything. I use the RVQ for hotdogs and keeping things warm, which is about all I found it's good for.
x2

Old 11-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #11
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
one point. the OP is requesting info on a grill that can use the pigtail hose and the side rail.
grills like the Weber can't. it's a high pressure grill and can't be mounted on the side rail.

i found some Sidekick grills on Ebay for around $150. our Sidekick grill has worked great for the 6 years we've owned the trailer.

with the grill option, you also got a little folding table that attaches to the side rail. real nice for setting seasonings and plates on.
I would also get the Sidekick or the RVQ on Ebay. Whichever one is the cheapest and you know it fits the trailer. Don't see the necessity for the high priced ones when these work great.
Old 12-12-2012, 09:36 AM   #12

I went with the Coleman Roadtrip LX grill? I know I can't connect it directly to the connection on the camper but I found a the Marshall Extend a Flow Plus that I will get to put on one of my tanks and use the 12' hose to run it. I had a Grill to Go befoer and liked that it had a griddle side. I let it go with the popup since it was about 10 years old.

On a side note, is there way to make a table to use the mount that is on the camper for the grill? Not sure what the piece would be called to look it up. Basically I would get a piece of wood and add this to the back edge and then have a support to lean against the camper. Like what my stove on my popup did.
grege is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2012, 11:16 PM   #13
Site Team

Hi Cheryl,

Welcome aboard and congrats on your new-to-you Rockwood Roo! I've reading threads about grill suggestions so I'm interested in the feedback on this topic.

Since I'm not ready to commit I ended up buying a tailgrate grill on clearance for $25. Please do keep us updated on what you decided to do.

Have fun camping!

Formerly owned 2011 Salem Cruise Lite 20RBXL & 2011 Toyota Tundra Dbl Cab
Terier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:49 PM   #14

We have the RVQII and LOVE IT!! On our old Kodiak hybrid I had it mounted on the wall of the trailer, but when we bought our Grey Wolf I didn't want to mess with mounting and possibly scratching the metal on the trailer, so I bought a mount that swings off the rear bumper and holds the grill. I had to plumb the gas to the rear of the camper, but that was only was only about $30 of material and 2 hrs or so of work, much better than the $300 that the dealer wanted to do it.

My dad wanted a RVQII also so when we bought our Grey Wolf I talked the dealer into cutting us a deal, then he got the grille as a fathers day present. If you do get the RVQII the easiest way that I have found to clean it is buy sponges made to clean the George Foreman grills.
with 2001 Kodiak K215: 2010-10, 2011-12
with 2012 Grey Wolf 26BH: 2012-19, 2013-24, 2014-11, 2015-6
with 2013 Passport: 2015-13, 2016-15 booked
PHS79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #15

Grege, the part on the camper you are asking about to hook a table or shelf is the same as an inside table on the older models its about 10.dollars i think table support
massachusetts
pony express is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 05:28 PM   #16
Grape Escape

Broil King Porta Chef BBQ connects very easily. Been using one for 6 years
44 for 2011, 38 for 2012, 35 for 2013, 51 for 2014
dezolen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 06:50 PM   #17

We have had Camp Chef " big gas grill" 3 burner. It lasted 8 yrs of hard use before I had to retire it. It's worth checking out 3 30k burners makes it more powerful than most grills used at home!

2006 Ford F150 4.6L
Rrickim63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 07:58 AM   #18
Wanna Be Camper

Coleman Roadtrip LXE and we have the full griddle top for pancakes and sausages as well as the open ring 1/2 top for putting pots on one side and grilling on the other. It is the most versatile portable grill on the market IMO. With a bit of ingineuty you can make an adapter hose to connect it to the onboard low pressure gas supply as well as there have been threads on here regarding that topic.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 10:21 AM   #19

I also the Coleman road trip lxe. What a piece of junk. Very hard to clean. Teflon griddle, the Teflon is is coming off on the food. You can't close lid with the Teflon griddle on. After 4 seasons the wheels are falling off. My son has the same one and he's experiencing same problems
jim44646 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2012, 11:08 AM   #20
Wanna Be Camper

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim44646 View Post
I also the Coleman road trip lxe. What a piece of junk. Very hard to clean. Teflon griddle, the Teflon is is coming off on the food. You can't close lid with the Teflon griddle on. After 4 seasons the wheels are falling off. My son has the same one and he's experiencing same problems
Not sure why you have the issues you do as ours is 4 years old and is in perfect shape other than some blackening of the vent area. And it is no harder to clean than any normal grill IMO. As with anything results may vary though.

John & Deb
2011 F250 Lariat FX4 Crew Cab 6.2
2011 Flagstaff V-Lite 30WRLS
SaskCampers is offline   Reply With Quote