Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-25-2012, 10:11 AM   #1
Steve Jackson

Outdoor Grill

Has anyone connected a extension hose on the one that comes out of the side of trailer? My wife refuses to let me hang the grill on the trailer. It has the quick connect fitting so is it safe to put an extension on this. I really like the grill and want to use it.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:22 AM   #2

As long as its the grill that came with your trailer or it's one made for high pressure you should be able to just get an extension hose with the appropriate fittings and length you need.
1999 Dodge Durango (Retired TT)
2006 Dodge Ram 3500 Quad Cab 4x4
wagon52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:25 AM   #3
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Not sure why she refuses but my last tt had one and we hung it on there for 6 years with no issues. No discoloration of tt either.
It really doesn't burn that big of a flame.
If you do put an extention make sure its propane hose.
we liked ours so much I kept it for our 5er.
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:28 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout1961 View Post
Has anyone connected a extension hose on the one that comes out of the side of trailer? My wife refuses to let me hang the grill on the trailer. It has the quick connect fitting so is it safe to put an extension on this. I really like the grill and want to use it.
If you are referring to the RVQ-type of grill, check the grill itself - some of them are manufactured to mount on the arms of the trailer side rack only, and will not sit properly on a table. If you can set it on a table, any propane dealer can provide an extension hose with the correct fittings on it.

...VTX-Al
VTX Al is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 10:31 AM   #5
Steve Jackson

Can't understand why either Turbo, I will continue to try and convince her. I will have to show her your post. This last weekend I had it on a table next to the trailer and it was probably as close as it would have been hanging on the mount. Do you put your awning up while you use yours? Not sure how the awning would hold up to the rising heat.
Old 04-25-2012, 10:32 AM   #6
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTX Al View Post
If you are referring to the RVQ-type of grill, check the grill itself - some of them are manufactured to mount on the arms of the trailer side rack only, and will not sit properly on a table. If you can set it on a table, any propane dealer can provide an extension hose with the correct fittings on it.

...VTX-Al
Yes normally the propane fitting comes out the bottom and won't sit on a table.
Besides there air holes on the bottom
Old 04-25-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
Steve Jackson

The mount that came with my grill can be used either on the TT or table top. The grill has both horizontal and vertical hole for the post to go in.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:23 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by sideout1961 View Post
Can't understand why either Turbo, I will continue to try and convince her. I will have to show her your post. This last weekend I had it on a table next to the trailer and it was probably as close as it would have been hanging on the mount. Do you put your awning up while you use yours? Not sure how the awning would hold up to the rising heat.
We used our grill all of last year with it hanging on the bracket on our TT. We also had our awning out when doing so. No grease on the TT or the awning. And no discoloration, excess heat, etc. on the TT either. If FR and other manufacturers believed this to be some sort of dangerous situation, or they received tons of complaints regarding stains, grease, finish problems, etc., they would have changed the design long ago. I just add this one to my mental file entitled "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
trudinator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:24 AM   #9

I don't want to hang the grill on the side of the trailer either , just my own personal preferance. I went to Tractor Supply Store and got an extension hose that fits the quick connect and is 10feet long so I can get it out from undr the awning.
Nites Camped in 2011:32 Nites Planned in 2012:35
Nites Camped in 2012:23
abrowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:27 AM   #10
Now a "Top Member"

I used my RVQ with my Travel Trailer all the time for the 5 years we had it. Under the awning, with the awning up, even with the TT windows open. We never had any problem with it. It doesn't get hot enough towards the trailer or up to the awning to do any damage. If I had one on my 5th wheel, I'd be using the heck out of it as well. Tell the wife (not that it will help any) that it will be fine. I can post pictures if she wants a visual.
Retired AF MSgt

I thought I was wrong once, but I was wrong!
EdJunior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 11:30 AM   #11
Steve Jackson

I'm with all you guys on this. It's just the lovely wife I have to convince.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:32 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Used it with awning out as well!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:35 AM   #13
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by trudinator View Post
We used our grill all of last year with it hanging on the bracket on our TT. We also had our awning out when doing so. No grease on the TT or the awning. And no discoloration, excess heat, etc. on the TT either. If FR and other manufacturers believed this to be some sort of dangerous situation, or they received tons of complaints regarding stains, grease, finish problems, etc., they would have changed the design long ago. I just add this one to my mental file entitled "if it ain't broke, don't fix it."
We've used ours the same way trudinator every since we got our 08 Flagstaff and have never had an issue with the side or power awning which we always have out (staked down). Made an extension hose to be able to set it on a table, but seldom use it as it just takes up room on the table and creates a tripping obstacle which us old codgers don't need. Don't like the new 5ver hook up as it is under the camper. Will eventually plumb it so it comes out the side.