Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-29-2014, 09:57 AM   #1

Outdoor kitchen slam latch mod

On my COACHMEN 320BHDS I didnt like the fact the lock wasn't keyed with my front storage doors, as well as the latches not matching. After some a help from fellow members here on the forum I was able to find the style of the latch I was looking for. With some research going off the tag on the outside kitchen door I found that Lippert Components supplies a lot of the parts for these campers and was able to buy all the parts I needed to install the "slam latches"

Front storage door slam latch

Outdoor kitchen original hardware

First step I did was remove the front storage door to see what the inside of the door looked like and take measurements. This involved drilling the rivets on the mounting plate. (You will have to drill out the rivet that keeps the stop plug in the hinge)

Remove the kitchen door by unscrewing the stop in the top channel and unhooking your gas struts. Then at at 90* slide the door to the back of the camper. being stubborn I did this by myself but I would suggest two people so you don't scratch anything.

Next I measured in 12" from each side and used painters tape to get a straight edge as well as the distance of the bottom edge (duplicated from the storage door) After that I traced the opening to the kitchen door. After that I used tape again to square up the opening.

Then the fun part!! Drilling holes.... this is the hardest part!! remember measure twice cut once before you drill!

I used a jig saw and a bi-metal blade going to each hole slowly as to not chip the fiberglass overlay. The boss "Diesel" had to check out the progress

Turning the door over and taking measurements off the latch I found center of my opening and marked where the latch part would go. I used a Dremel with a cutting wheel to do the vertical cuts then used a 4" cutoff wheel for the rest. Remember to use proper safety equipment.

14' Coachmen 320 BHDS Liberty Edition 50th Anniversary
IColeman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 09:59 AM   #2

Now you're ready to install your latches!

*****NOTE**** I found out I didnt leave enough clearance on the opening for the latch mechanism to move. This was easily solved by using the 4" grinder wheel to trim the back of the door. It only needed about 1/8". DO NOT CUT INTO THE FRONT OF THE DOOR!! you just need to removed the Styrofoam back to allow room.

Now onto the trailer itself!

I re-installed the door and shut it causing the latch to put a scrape in the frame of the door. This will be the center of your "Strike plate" I penciled a arrow so you can see where the latch scratched the frame.

Mark where your slam latch screws will go and where the resessed part of the latch will sit. Then use a heat gun to remove the seal and hold it back out of the way so you don't damage it.

I used the Dremel and a metal cutting wheel for the next big step then proceed to cut your opening!

You will need to use a sharp chisel to remove the second layer of aluminum. This will take a little bit of work but is easily done. I quickly found out that it is wood behind the second layer of aluminum. Trim your opening just deep enough to accept the strike plate. You don't have to go any deeper!!

After that fill the hole with silicone of some sort to stop any water that might get behind the strike plate. You will have a foam gasket to install on the frame between the strike plate. Then install the strike plate and shut your door!

Old 03-29-2014, 10:00 AM   #3

I quickly found the tolerance on my front (right hand) latch was a lot closer than the back. This caused the slam latch screws to drag into the kitchen door frame (see photo) I then used the dremel to shave the top of the screw a little bit as well as feathering the frame of the kitchen door. In the photo you can see from factory the trailer frame screws scratched the kitchen frame.

With everything closing freely re-glue your door seal. I used some RTV silicone, the same as what I used for the strike plate holes.

Then you've completed the install!!

I am currently trying to decide what to do with the old latch/lock holes, but I will post shortly!!

Hope this helps!! I wish they offered this from factory!!! Now I dont have to fumble around looking for the right key! Parts were around $114 shipped to the door and on a scale of 1-5 for difficulty I would say its a 3, just for the fact you have to be a little mechanically inclined as well as know how to read a tape!

Ian

Old 03-29-2014, 10:16 AM   #4

I don't need to do this but I would like to compliment you with the pics and procedure.
I found this interesting top to bottom.

John
Rupkin2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:27 AM   #5

nice job. I would like to do this to the kitchen door on my 5th wheel.
davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:34 AM   #6

That is awesome!! I would love to have you come to Texas to do this to mine

I am pretty handy but I would be really nervous trying this myself. Great job and great write up!
2000 Excursion Limited 7.3 PS Diesel Sold:crying

MagnoliaTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:41 AM   #7
Infractee

Great Job!!
RhoZeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2014, 10:43 AM   #8

Looks like a darn good job of installing and the pictures are real helpful...

Old 03-29-2014, 11:10 AM   #9

Thanks gang!!
most wont notice the difference and I'm sure the dealer wont either but I have a problem with not leaving things alone

Another good one is installing cab lights on your pickup! Drilling that first hole in the cab is the worst, after that you can't go back!!

I've got a few more projects to tackle on the trailer
-new ladder to the top bunk
-greaseable bushings in the suspension
-redo the electrical wiring on the frame at the front of the trailer
-al's liner the front frame
-led taillights all around

Just to name a few.

Old 03-29-2014, 08:12 PM   #10

looks good. I may have to try this.

later,

John
2013 nights camped 27
2014 nights camped
BigJohn2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:24 PM   #11

What I need is to know where you live so I can have you do this to my 5ver! Lol You do good work! I'm very picky so when I tell you I'd like you to work on my trailer you need to smile and feel good about the job you did. Kudos!
dj3spots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:34 PM   #12

Nice job, I was going to do this last year but didnt have the time, another mod for this spring as soon as the weather breaks here in Michigan.
Old 04-04-2014, 07:45 PM   #13

Nicely done! Looks great and thanks for sharing the detailed instructions with pics.
QCCowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 07:59 PM   #14

That looks fantastic it looks like it came that way. I wish I had the guts to try do that on the front storage door.
Emmy, Madison and flower our 4 legged kids
maddogz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2014, 08:12 PM   #15
Mod free 5er

Did the same on the 2 storage doors on my 5er. For some reason or other, the factory put slam latches on one storage door and left them off the other two. Forest River Forums - OldCoot's Album: Adding Forest River Slam Latches
Old 04-04-2014, 09:46 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by dj3spots View Post
What I need is to know where you live so I can have you do this to my 5ver! Lol You do good work! I'm very picky so when I tell you I'd like you to work on my trailer you need to smile and feel good about the job you did. Kudos!
Thanks!!! I'm a touch anal about my work. Bring it over we'll get it done!

Quote:
Originally Posted by w021095 View Post
Nice job, I was going to do this last year but didnt have the time, another mod for this spring as soon as the weather breaks here in Michigan.
You wont regret it! I like the fact opening the door is quick and easy now but still looks clean on the outside. My decal guy is working on color matching 1.250" stickers for the holes. The weather is crazy! We had blowing wind/rain turn to ICE yesterday here in lower central Michigan. I quickly moved the trailer out from under the trees!! Just wait we'll be mowing around snow piles! I've already serviced both zero turns and were about 1/3 done with raking stones back into the drives.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Did the same on the 2 storage doors on my 5er. For some reason or other, the factory put slam latches on one storage door and left them off the other two. Forest River Forums - OldCoot's Album: Adding Forest River Slam Latches
Excellent work sir! I searched the forums but you photos didnt come up Did you just have the one twist lock to begin with?

Old 04-04-2014, 10:09 PM   #17

Very Nice indeed! How do you like the Coachmen?
Nights Camped 2016: 32
ryand is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door, modifications