Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-16-2018, 03:38 AM   #1

Outfitting our Geo Pro G19FD with Solar

Greetings,

We are about to pick-up our first travel trailer, a 2018 Geo Pro G19FD. We'd like to outfit it with roof mounted Solar panels as it comes prewired. We are thinking about a 150w panel system.

Additionally, we are looking into adding an inverter as part of this project.

So my questions are:
1. Is this something that I should pay the technicians at our dealership to do?
2. Is this something that I can handle on my own?

Also, is there anything that we are missing or should keep in mind as we add solar and the inverter to this trailer.

All Best,
Mike
Moe Geo Pro G19FD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:39 PM   #2

Geo Pro 19FBS

howdy,
We picked up our 2018 Geo Pro 19FBS on Monday. so far, we are very happy with it as it looks great sitting in the driveway.

I have been trying very hard to find any technical information on installing the solar panels on our TT. obviously it is wired for solar, but have had no luck getting a copy of a wiring diagram. if anyone knows of a online video or technical manual i can purchase online it would be much appreciated.

i am trying to post pictures of our table legs. they are way out of square. they have a significant slant to them when the table is set up. any one else notice this condition?

this is our first post to FROG and looking forward to many more.

happy camping
Mac48763 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 05:57 PM   #3

I just bought a Geo 19FBS last month. Mine is pre wired for solar, but couldn't any info on the location of the wiring from the roof and to the battery. On the 19FBS there is a wall right below the roof connection. I pulled out the 120v receptacle on that wall, and the wiring is there. There is plenty of wire there so the controller location won't be critical. I ordered up a Renogy solar kit that I will be installing this week. I'll take pics and post them if anyone is interested. I'm an electrician, so the wiring won't be a problem, but I am nervous about putting screws into the roof of my new Geo Pro...
GeoPro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:01 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPro View Post
I just bought a Geo 19FBS last month. Mine is pre wired for solar, but couldn't any info on the location of the wiring from the roof and to the battery. On the 19FBS there is a wall right below the roof connection. I pulled out the 120v receptacle on that wall, and the wiring is there. There is plenty of wire there so the controller location won't be critical. I ordered up a Renogy solar kit that I will be installing this week. I'll take pics and post them if anyone is interested. I'm an electrician, so the wiring won't be a problem, but I am nervous about putting screws into the roof of my new Geo Pro...

Don’t use screws. Order some VHB and some rails. Clean it with a good solvent and it will stick forever.
carlsbad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:02 PM   #5
Scoundrel

The "Pre-wired for solar" is a sales gimmick. I'm all in on adding solar (I added 200watts) but you'll need to really consider starting from scratch.

Congratulations on the new camper(s)!

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 06:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsbad View Post
Don’t use screws. Order some VHB and some rails. Clean it with a good solvent and it will stick forever.
Thank, I'll look into that method.
Old 03-25-2018, 06:16 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by HangDiver View Post
The "Pre-wired for solar" is a sales gimmick. I'm all in on adding solar (I added 200watts) but you'll need to really consider starting from scratch.

Congratulations on the new camper(s)!
Not sure if you have a Geo Pro, but mine is truly pre-wired. There is #8 wires from the controller location to the battery, and another set of #8 wires to the roof and a plate with MC4 connectors. So if I'm not mistaken, just mount and plug in panel, then install the controller.
Old 03-26-2018, 06:28 PM   #8

Quote:
Not sure if you have a Geo Pro, but mine is truly pre-wired. There is #8 wires from the controller location to the battery, and another set of #8 wires to the roof and a plate with MC4 connectors. So if I'm not mistaken, just mount and plug in panel, then install the controller.

Glad to hear they are taking solar serious. Easy install!
Old 03-27-2018, 10:53 AM   #9
Scoundrel

Quote:
Glad to hear that it is indeed pre-wired. I take back what I said in my post above. Previously "pre-wired" meant #12 gauge which was inadequate...

Wooden Spoon Survivor
Old 03-27-2018, 05:54 PM   #10

Hey HangDiver, I see that you live in Salida (I'm jealous). I'm headed out your way in June to boondock and ride ATVs in Taylor Park. Do you know if Cottonwood pass will be open this year. I read that they are paving it
Old 03-27-2018, 06:25 PM   #11
Scoundrel

Quote:
Hey HangDiver, I see that you live in Salida (I'm jealous). I'm headed out your way in June to boondock and ride ATVs in Taylor Park. Do you know if Cottonwood pass will be open this year. I read that they are paving it
Sounds like a fun trip! Unfortunately Cottonwood Pass is slated to be closed through this coming summer. Progress . I love that area up there & spend a fair amount of time fly fishing the Taylor River and some of the creeks that feed the reservoir.

Wooden Spoon Survivor
Old 06-19-2018, 03:18 PM   #12

Please post DIY info when do this. We are still debating from roof to ground panels.
ProAngler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2018, 10:53 PM   #13

thanks for info. we got a 19FB last week. the roof has the plus and minus MC4 connectors to hook up roof panels. I did not get into the wall but your info confirms my guess. Is it the case that only the controller needs to join the roof wiring and the battery wiring?
davidp886 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 04:57 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlsbad View Post
Did you use vhb tape on an epdm roof like the geo pro has?
Masterpo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2018, 07:14 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Masterpo View Post
Did you use vhb tape on an epdm roof like the geo pro has?

Mine is fiberglass but there are lots of YouTube videos of EDPM installs.
Old 07-13-2018, 08:26 AM   #16

I just put two Renogy 100W panels on my camper. Along with two 6V golf cart batteries, it did everything we needed it to on our recent big trip. I only put a 150W inverter on one outlet though. Mainly just for television usage, but we also used it for a boot dryer and charging camera batteries. So if you want a bigger inverter for hairdryers and such, you'll have to go bigger on your panels and batteries.

Handy Bob's blog helped me immensely in planning my system. Read through all his posts to get some ideas. The basics are be sure there are no shadows on your panels, use big wire, and short runs. I didn't go with his product recommendations, so I had some challenges setting mine up. I got them all ironed out now, and I'm glad I got the Victron battery gauge and solar controller. The bluetooth function to my phone is great, and it's so nice to look at the history charts to see what the system did.

Here's handy bob's website:
https://handybobsolar.wordpress.com/...ging-puzzle-2/

I screwed in my panels to the roof. I read too many horror stories about the panels coming off. The rubber roof isn't glued down the best, so it's not a good base for them. I just used Dicor over all the holes and there's been no issues at all. I went with the roof panels for ease of use. I debated the ground panels, but my main goal when camping is to get set up quickly so that I can relax. Having the panels on the roof is one less thing for me to have to do. Then I can't move them with the sun, so it's less to have to do during the days. That was just my thinking on hard mounting them.

Let me know if you come up with any questions. I've researched it all too dang much!
freyguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2018, 09:54 AM   #17
Trailer Park Supervisor

The good news is the 2019 Geo Pros come with the Go Power 100W panel and 30 amp PWM controller standard, as well as 1000W inverter wired to the outlets. There is an SAE style port on the outer wall to allow you to hook up a ground panel. Still trying to figure out if it runs through the built in charge controller, or if you have to provide one for that port.
NJKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 05:10 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
The good news is the 2019 Geo Pros come with the Go Power 100W panel and 30 amp PWM controller standard, as well as 1000W inverter wired to the outlets. There is an SAE style port on the outer wall to allow you to hook up a ground panel. Still trying to figure out if it runs through the built in charge controller, or if you have to provide one for that port.
On the 19fbs before they added the inverter, the location of that port was right in the middle up front and it just went to the battery. So if you get a portable solar case it should come with a controller.
MichaelE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 07:00 AM   #19
Trailer Park Supervisor

Thanks Michael, had a feeling that would be the case. Did yours come from the factory with solar? Either way, I have a Renogy suitcase with a controller.
Old 10-01-2018, 07:26 PM   #20
Trailer Park Supervisor

Michael, what you said was confirmed by Go Power. The port on the side of the rig goes straight to the batts.

Tags
solar