Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-15-2012, 02:48 PM   #1

outside kitchen sink mod.

Has anyone made a modification to the outside sink plumbing so that the water can drain into something else other than the tank. For example, I would like to be able to hook a pipe or garden hose to the sink and drain it into a a five gallon bucket under the camper. Reason being is we only use the outside sink for handwashing or cleaning off my sons toys before going in for the night. We dont do dishes in ot or anythinglike that. My sink drains to the black water and on extended stays thats alot of wasted space in the black tank. If I could drain it to a bucket I could just pour it into my blue tank when I drain the other gray water. Is there any kind of adapter that can be used to hook to the sink on one end then to a garden hose so easily drain the water.?
6.4 tow rig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

What is year make and model?
Are you sure it drains to the black?
No calling u stupid or anything just asking.

My outside sink has its own very special tank.
1 grey for bathroom
1 black for toilet
1 grey for kitchen sink
1 grey for outside sink
1 fresh water
I'm all tanked up! Lol
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 03:25 PM   #3

Unfortunately I am right. I checked with Primetime just to make sure even though there was a sticker on the sink when I bought it stating the sink drained to the black water. Its a 2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318BHS. We have a galley tank for the kitchen, black tank for toilet and outside kitchen sink, and another gray tank for the bathtub and bathroom sink. I think thats the only thing I hate about our new trailer. Really dumb design if you ask me.
Old 05-15-2012, 03:40 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Yeah no kidding.
Hmmmmmmm
I have an access point right under my sink. A little panel that comes off
Is there such a thing on yours?
I realize I have a different unit but thinking outloud
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2012, 05:06 PM   #5

Well, i dont have any access panel so thats why I was hoping I could find a fitting that would allow a garden hose to attach to it. that way i could hook it up when needed and snake it out under the drawer into a bucket.

2013 Primetime Lacrosse 318BHS
2008 F-250 Powerstroke
Old 05-15-2012, 09:41 PM   #6

Why not put in a 2 way valve so you could switch between the holding tank or a hose to a bucket or tote? it should be pretty easy. just go to Home Depot or some home improvement place and get what you need.

Better to have a bad day of camping than a good day at work!
Dodge Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2012, 01:51 AM   #7

We have the 318BHS and it has the hook up for an outside shower. To wash the toys and not use up space in the holding tank, put a pail by the water hose, hose off the toys and then dump the clean (but sandy) water out. Or, if its just dirt, hose off the toys and the kids (our 318 has hot and cold water hooked to it) onto the grass in the area and let it soak in.
freedom 750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 03:07 PM   #8

Well after spending an hour or so at Home Depot and Lowes I walked away with nothing. Apparently there is no such thing as an 1.5" pipe or fitting that can be reduced or made to fit a garden hose. (Its against code the Home Depot guy said) so thats whay they dont make it. So I went home and started looking through the garage and came up with a couple old funnels and some old pipe fittings from my sump pump in the basement. I was able to use a PVC bushing and old funnel to hook up to the bottom of the sink. Capped the old black line with a rubber boot and then hooked up a small 9/16 clear hose to the funnel with a clamp and ran it through the floor. Here are some pics. No leaks and works fine

Pipe glue and a light sanding bonded this perfect, and the whole thing comes off to go back to original if needed.

Tied up on the low point drains until needed.

2008 F-250 Powerstroke
Old 05-17-2012, 03:29 PM   #9

Great ingenuity. Looks like you are all set.
Old 05-17-2012, 04:23 PM   #10

That looks awesome.... The only issue that I see and will probably not be a problem depending on how much water you dump at a time, is that you have no vent on the back side of the drain line so it will drain really slow at times. But I think it still looks awesome and should probably work with no major issues.
depo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2012, 05:12 PM   #11

Yeah, when I was leak testing it I was pouring about a gallon at a time so that it would fill the sink and give a little bit of pressure as it was draining. It was a little slow but I think because its a straight shot down to the ground it doesnt create to much suction and lets it drain pretty easy. I think just letting the water run while washing hands it will drain and not even build up.

2008 F-250 Powerstroke
Old 05-18-2012, 09:28 AM   #12
Experienced Newbie

Thinking of the 1.5 to garden hose issue... My neighbor has a sump pump discharging through a garden hose... The fittings exist. I can't get a pic of it as I'm at work and the pump is underground at home.

2011 Silverado CC/SB
2014 Cougar 31SQB
mhartzel is offline   Reply With Quote