Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-09-2016, 10:25 AM   #1

Outside LED lights - AC or DC

I'm looking at installing LED lights on the outside of my trailer. Different lights on the side and back to help light things up. Should I go AC or DC?

Pros/Cons
AC - can use when on battery i.e. backing up
DC - doesn't drain the battery, probably easier hookup since I don't have to run a wire from the tongue to the back

Thoughts?
Old 02-09-2016, 01:01 PM   #2

I got my AC/DC backwards, but you understand the question. Battery vs. Plugged In.

TIA
Old 02-10-2016, 12:33 AM   #3

Why go with AC when you can install DC and use either when boon-docked or on shore power? DC would be what I would go with.
Old 02-10-2016, 12:43 AM   #4

Absolutely DC.
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 08:30 AM   #5
Site Team

I'd go with DC, but for a different reason. All LED's are DC so to make them run off AC power you have to have a transformer and rectifier. Why add more parts to the mix when you can just go with DC to begin with and reduce some failure points.

Just be sure to buy units that can stand 14+ volts as some units have a very narrow voltage range.
Old 02-10-2016, 01:32 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post
I'd go with DC, but for a different reason. All LED's are DC so to make them run off AC power you have to have a transformer and rectifier. Why add more parts to the mix when you can just go with DC to begin with and reduce some failure points.

Just be sure to buy units that can stand 14+ volts as some units have a very narrow voltage range.

Yes! x2
Explorer1016 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 01:52 PM   #7

Majority rules! DC. There is extremely low power drain with LED. If you haven't switched the interior lights to LED, might be a good thought as well.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2016, 10:29 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bama Rambler View Post

Not all leds are DC, but 95% are.
Signguy71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 10:30 AM   #9

Oh what kind of power do i have?

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmas View Post
I'm looking at installing LED lights on the outside of my trailer. Different lights on the side and back to help light things up. Should I go AC or DC?

Pros/Cons
AC - can use when on battery i.e. backing up
DC - doesn't drain the battery, probably easier hookup since I don't have to run a wire from the tongue to the back

Thoughts?
You do have a choice all outside lighting is 12 volt dc, no matter if it is a brake light or a coach light, now the only time this will change is if you add some kind of 120 volt outdoor lighting, but if it is factory all your lighting inside and out is 12 volt dc.

Hope this helps and Happy Camping and also since you are looking to replace all the outdoor lighting you might want to think of indoor also and you can get all of it here with a huge savings (LED light bulb, LED light bulbs for home use and cars) and get them DIRECT and save big money!
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2016, 11:18 AM   #10
Gold Miner At Heart

DC also. I just replace all the outside lights on my 2004 5er with Led. Even replaced both scare lights which are Led. Purchased from EBay.
Old 02-12-2016, 06:21 AM   #11
MCTroy

Ok, I give. What is a scare light? Or maybe that was some creative typing?
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 07:13 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by MCTroy View Post
Ok, I give. What is a scare light? Or maybe that was some creative typing?
It's a light on the outside of your trailer that you can turn on from the inside to 'SCARE' away the boogieman. Really it is!
Evereddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:08 AM   #13

Our 2500TS came equipped with a row of LED lights tucked under the awning. On our last outing for the season, we were camped very near to the lake shore. Our daughter-in-law was experiencing her first trip in a MH and our son was more than thrilled to expand his memories of growing up camping. The LED lights were on while we enjoyed an evening campfire.

It was very dark when our camping neighbors returned on their pontoon from dinner across the lake . We had a great conversation with them after they told us our LEDs had been a beacon for them to find the campgrounds.We never thought of it that way.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 08:58 AM   #14
MCTroy

Will it work on bass fisherman? They start out too early and wake us up. Thanks for the clarification!
MCTroy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 09:22 AM   #15
Site Team

I ran this some of the conduit below along the frame ( used existing screws holding coroplast using cable clamps) from the tongue to bumper. I ran a tracer line in it. I used it to add back up lights and B/U camera wiring). No advantages to AC lights as if you have AC, you are not using battery anyway. All LEDs are DC as mentioned above.

Carlon 3/4 in. x 100 ft. ENT Coil - Blue-12007-100 - The Home Depot

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
led, light