Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-07-2012, 11:10 PM   #1

outside outlet mod for a 289bhs crusader

i would like to add an 110 volt outlet on the curb side of my unit centered above my wheels. I have the cabinets on that wall and i think i can tap in to the 12 ga wiring inside the refer panel. any ideas??? thanks
smittyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 05:32 AM   #2

elect mathematics

sounds like
some elect twisties
outside box with cover
few ft of wire
and you are in
I would not worry about it much
BUT
anytime we add to a circuit
overloading of the circuit
has to be a concern
the elect mathematics should be done

Mountainman
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 08:08 AM   #3

I agree with Mountainman. You need to determine the amp draw of all existing appliances on the circuit. In addition, you need to know the amp draw of the items you intend to use the new outlet to power to avoid tripping the breaker.

Just an idea - you could install the new outlet to the frame on curb side, install
a male flanged inlet on the backside, and hardwire the 2 together under the trailer. You then would supply power via an extension card from the parks power to the male flanged inlet on the backside (see picture).

campdohbrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 09:51 AM   #4

The only difficulty that I've found (on both a previous Jayco and on my current Rockwood) is that the 120v plugs that the TT mfgrs use are "junk" compared to what you would purchase for your home. They have very cheaply made clips, which attempt to hold the wire-ends in. In both cases, where I wanted to extend a circuit from an existing outlet, I wound-up replacing the recepticle as well. Only anot a $3 or less part, but it was better than getting frustrated extending from the factory original recepticle.

2022 Coachmen Leprechaun 319MB
2022 Ford Ranger toad
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:53 AM   #5

Thanks guys I didn't think it would be an issue. I agree the outlets use by the manufacture are junky and I will replace the one I pull from with a residential type. I have 12 ga wire and outlets on hand from a recent remodel. I think I like the idea of mounting on the frame verses in the side wall. I'll have to explore
smittyb is offline   Reply With Quote