Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-07-2013, 08:32 AM   #1

Outside shower mod

The wife and I along with 5 friends are going to a 3 day concert this summer. We paid the extra $$ for a campsite with water and electric but unfortunately they do not have sewer. Showers are available but for a fee. My biggest concern is filling up the gray tank because of showers. Considering its July and we will be outside all day/night, taking showers is a MUST!! I'd like to build some sort of enclosure for the outside shower so we don't have to pay $50 to have the camper pumped out. I'm not looking to do anything real intricate but just something that provides privacy for taking a quick shower. Has anyone built something like this or have pictures? I'm thinking I can use 1" PVC and a couple shower curtains, but would appreciate some input from anyone with knowledge about doing this. Thanks!!
Old 02-07-2013, 08:57 AM   #2
Always Learning

Check the venue- you may not be allowed to let your shower water just fall to the ground (ie, all gray water must be disposed of properly).

As for the enclosure- I've seen a couple of pictures where people had space between 2 slides that was pretty slick.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Check the venue- you may not be allowed to let your shower water just fall to the ground (ie, all gray water must be disposed of properly).

As for the enclosure- I've seen a couple of pictures where people had space between 2 slides that was pretty slick.

X2

Usually outside showers on campers or just for rinsing off (sand etc. after going to the beach etc.)

Need to teach the water conservation methods of showering etc. We can take our 5 adults showiung / everything camping & not empty the tanks all weekend..........
(Our tanks are probably bigger though with a toyhauler as we can carry 100 gal or fresh water).........................

2005 Dodge 3500 Cummins
2017 Wildwood Lodge 4092 BFL
1966 Mustang GT
1986 Mustang SVO
Lillie Spoiled Rotten Boxer Mix
Oaklevel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:21 AM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

How much can the cost of cg showers really be?

I've only camped once where the showers were pay.
It cost 2.00 a day per person
I take that back dw and I shared a shower.

Turbs
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:37 AM   #5

The use of the outside shower is not an issue with the campground. It's not your typical rv park campground. And the cost of the showers aren't the issue as much as the wait and cleanliness are. Last year some people drove into town and showered at a car wash because they don't have enough at the campground. This concert draws around 75,000 people so its a little crowded. Pretty much small scale Woodstock for country music.
Old 02-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

Guide Gear Pop - Up Privacy Shelter With Camp Shower - 775717, Toiletries Shower at Sportsman's Guide

If gray water is no problem at your camping spot you might look at this.
I don't recommend it if there is a gray water prohibition (which there may be if they have "for fee" showers.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearcat55 View Post
The wife and I along with 5 friends are going to a 3 day concert this summer. We paid the extra $$ for a campsite with water and electric but unfortunately they do not have sewer. Showers are available but for a fee. My biggest concern is filling up the gray tank because of showers. Considering its July and we will be outside all day/night, taking showers is a MUST!! I'd like to build some sort of enclosure for the outside shower so we don't have to pay $50 to have the camper pumped out. I'm not looking to do anything real intricate but just something that provides privacy for taking a quick shower. Has anyone built something like this or have pictures? I'm thinking I can use 1" PVC and a couple shower curtains, but would appreciate some input from anyone with knowledge about doing this. Thanks!!
Would this 3 day concert you speak of, be in Fort Laramie, OH? If so, I may have some tips for you.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 09:43 AM   #8

Yes, it's Country Concert in Fort Loramie. Any advice/tips would be much appreciated.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Where is your camping site? I'm assuming S7, most of S8 is taken before tickets go on sale to general public. Couple tips. The water is HIGH in iron. Get an inline filter, even if you have a filter built in. People do shower outside, in enclosed portable showers, out in the open in swimsuits, and butt ass naked at certain times. They do have a pumping service that comes around daily, that will pump out black and gray. Last year it was about $30. Last year had temps in the 105 range and the power was knocked out in half the county, which also means that water was out to the campground. FILL YOUR FW TANK! The stage has it's own power, so the show goes on. Plan on going up on Wed. for the camper only concert, 12-2pm seems to be good time. Parmalee is a fun band. If you have general admission tickets, you can line up early in morning before gates open and get "Gold Circle" passes, which is special area directly behind reserved seating. It can get a little crazy in there. Lock everything up, while I've never had a problem there, some have. There is quite a bit of security! I did find a guy passed out in the bed of my truck last year, though. We're not camping this year, but will probably go up a night or 2.
Old 02-07-2013, 10:23 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttrost65 View Post
Where is your camping site? I'm assuming S7, most of S8 is taken before tickets go on sale to general public. Couple tips. The water is HIGH in iron. Get an inline filter, even if you have a filter built in. People do shower outside, in enclosed portable showers, out in the open in swimsuits, and butt ass naked at certain times. They do have a pumping service that comes around daily, that will pump out black and gray. Last year it was about $30. Last year had temps in the 105 range and the power was knocked out in half the county, which also means that water was out to the campground. FILL YOUR FW TANK! The stage has it's own power, so the show goes on. Plan on going up on Wed. for the camper only concert, 12-2pm seems to be good time. Parmalee is a fun band. If you have general admission tickets, you can line up early in morning before gates open and get "Gold Circle" passes, which is special area directly behind reserved seating. It can get a little crazy in there. Lock everything up, while I've never had a problem there, some have. There is quite a bit of security! I did find a guy passed out in the bed of my truck last year, though. We're not camping this year, but will probably go up a night or 2.
Was the Guy who was passed out in the bed of your truck waiting to use the shower or was he drying? Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 10:33 AM   #11

Thanks!!I appreciate the advice!! We are in S7 1 spot from the lake. How far is this from the show? the online map looks like i could hit the stage with a rock, but its obviously not to scale. I planned on bringing the genny in case there was a power issue but didnt cross my mind to fill the fresh tank. I figured we'd let the ladies shower inside and the fellas could use the outside. Worst case scenario we can shower in swim trunks without the enclosure but if the beer is flowin well, i may just shower butt naked. So what time do people start lining up for the gold circle? I saw a ton of pictures from that area last year and that's definitely where we wanna be. The crazier the better!!
Old 02-07-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I thinking he was drying, or drying out. We had just got back from concert, was sitting outside waiting on my buddy, who was on stage crew, to finish up, when this young guy just sat up in the back of my truck. Was kinda like the waking of the dead. Poor kid had no idea where he was camping at, or even what section. I was able to get ahold of his girlfriend and got him sent on his way in the right direction.
Old 02-07-2013, 11:24 AM   #13
Graduate Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
How much can the cost of cg showers really be?

I've only camped once where the showers were pay.
It cost 2.00 a day per person
I take that back dw and I shared a shower.

Turbs
yep - DW and I do the same. Conservation, ya know?

But it runs us $5.
2012 - 26 days

RoadTrip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 11:29 AM   #14

Quote:
Do you have an EZ-UP or some other similar shelter? Most of them have "walls" that can be attached to close them up and you could use it for shower space. Heck, if you had one just throw some tarps around it, that would likely be cheaper than the walls that you can buy for them.
I have seen shelters like this used before for showering...
Old 02-07-2013, 12:13 PM   #15
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Thanks!!I appreciate the advice!! We are in S7 1 spot from the lake. How far is this from the show? the online map looks like i could hit the stage with a rock, but its obviously not to scale. I planned on bringing the genny in case there was a power issue but didnt cross my mind to fill the fresh tank. I figured we'd let the ladies shower inside and the fellas could use the outside. Worst case scenario we can shower in swim trunks without the enclosure but if the beer is flowin well, i may just shower butt naked. So what time do people start lining up for the gold circle? I saw a ton of pictures from that area last year and that's definitely where we wanna be. The crazier the better!!
Some start lining up the when they leave the show the night before, but usually about 8-9 if you want to get wrist bands. It's probably a couple hundred yards if you're on the south end of lake. Most of the sights on the south end have a level pad but the "yard" in out the front door sloaps away fairly rapidly on a few. We know the owners, so after the show we hang out a bit at the stage, and you can look out over the land and it's a sea of aluminum! We always find a dozen cell phones, coolers, some full of beer still. I'm always amazed at what people leave behind.
Old 02-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #16

Just have the five friends pitch in on the sewer truck, if you are letting them stay with you that is the least they can do. They could pay for the campsite too. Attitude of gratitude!
rugersdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2013, 06:05 PM   #17

Use a pop up hunting blind very light easy to use and cheap
Fivenikkels is offline   Reply With Quote