Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-19-2011, 02:53 PM   #1

Oven pilot igniter

Has any one figured out a way to install some sort of a igniter for the oven pilot?
2011 Flagstaff 8528RLWS 5th Wheel
Reese Sidewinder Hitch 2002 Road Star Warrior
SouthWest Florida FROG
Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:46 PM   #2

I gess you could install a push button like we have on portable barbeque. I have never seen a igniter in the oven on all my trailers. I know it is a pain to go on your knees and push at the same time the knob while you have the striker on and find where to shoot the flame!
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2011, 04:58 PM   #3

Exactly and don't forget about a flashlight to see what your doing.
SouthWest Florida FROG
Old 11-20-2011, 07:36 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Yeah, and sometimes, it takes forever for the gas to get there; even after lighting burners!
1969 John Deere 1020, 1940 Ford 9N, 1948 Ford 8N
Jonsered 535, Can of WD-40, Duct Tape
Red Green coffee mugs
acadianbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 07:42 PM   #5
Site Team

someone on another forum, installed a BBQ igniter system on his Roo's oven and burners.
i think he got the setup from Walmart.

i might be able to find his pics if you want me to.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:17 AM   #6

Pictures would be great.
SouthWest Florida FROG
Old 11-21-2011, 11:09 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by acadianbob View Post
Yeah, and sometimes, it takes forever for the gas to get there; even after lighting burners!
try it without pushing the button and see if it doesn't take just as long...don't believe the pilot gas actually comes on until the thermocouple heats. us may be different...mine is in a 2002.

there are some write ups abt putting an ignitor in the oven on here but it escapes me where.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
Pictures would be great.
found the thread from RV.net's Hybrid forum:

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Hybrid Travel Trailers: Our Stove & Oven Mods

from a Roo 23SS owner who has done the most mods of any 23SS or any Roo that i've ever seen. his user name is Leaf-Peeper.

hope this is what you're looking for.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 09:12 PM   #9

Thank you very much for your efforts. This helps, still unsure on how to mount an igniter.
SouthWest Florida FROG
Old 12-12-2011, 02:04 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrior View Post
Thank you very much for your efforts. This helps, still unsure on how to mount an igniter.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bikendan View Post
found the thread from RV.net's Hybrid forum:

RV.Net Open Roads Forum: Hybrid Travel Trailers: Our Stove & Oven Mods

from a Roo 23SS owner who has done the most mods of any 23SS or any Roo that I've ever seen. his user name is Leaf-Peeper.

hope this is what you're looking for.

Thanks to bikedan and the link he provided, I was able to complete this Mod. What a difference. Almost instant ignition for the burners and no more crawling around on the floor to light the oven pilot. Just open the oven door enough to see the flame in the mirror on the door to confirm it has ignited.
SouthWest Florida FROG
Old 12-17-2011, 11:15 AM   #11

Excellent idea for the burners but not sure if the oven igniter would work for me. Seems like i have to hold a long wooden match/ igniter on the pilot light/thermocoupler forever before it will ignite. Plus once the pilot light is lit your set for your stay unlike the burners that have to be lit with every use !!!
07 kawasaki brute force 650i

Wildwood1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 11:10 AM   #12

safety issue?

must be a safety issue or one of the manufacturers or aftermarket suppliers would have done this long before now?
4allin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 01:17 PM   #13
Jack of All Trades

I did much the same as Leaf-Peeper over on RV.Net (I can't remember if I saw his post or not before I did the mod). The DW didn't like the the OEM twist type igniter (had to turn it too many times to light the burner) and I didn't like the "CLICK-CLICK" noise.

I bought a MCM Model 3340 Universal Battery Powered Igniter (this one has 4 ports on it - they are also available in 1, 2, 3, 5, and 6 port versions) from Lowes or Home Depot and a bag of replacement BBQ electrodes.

Changing out the existing OEM igniter was easy - pull off the knob, remove two screws, lift the burner top, pull out the old igniter and remove the wires to the burner electrodes from the igniter.

The new igniter's stem has a larger diameter than the old one, so the hole in the cook top front had to be enlarged (I used a 1/2" conduit hole punch). Then just reconnect the wires from the burners to the new igniter, insert it's stem into the new enlarged hole on the stove top front, and screw on the cover nut. This leaves the two screw holes from the original igniter exposed, but they really aren't noticeable unless you really look for them.

Then, all you have to do is insert the battery, screw on the button cap, and the igniter for the burners is ready to go. Just push the button and a nice big juicy fat spark jumps from the burner electrodes to the burner. As long as you hold the igniter button in, the spark keeps going.

Now for the oven! This was a little harder. I elected to remove the burner assembly from the oven to work on it. This required disconnecting the main gas line and pilot gas line to the oven burner, removing the thermo-couple, and 4 screws (two in front and two in back). Then the complete burner assembly just slides out.

In the kit of BBQ replacement electrodes I used an electrode with just a short electrode sticking out of the ceramic insulator that also had an angle bracket on it. A little twisting and shaping with a pair of pliers, and the electrode's bracket bolted right up to the burner's thermo-couple bracket. The electrode needs to be positioned right at the end of the pilot light hood. A little more adjustment to get the spark gap correct, and the burner assembly was ready to reinstall.

Before I reinstalled the burner I fished the new electrode wire down through the same holes in the stove top and in the oven that the thermo-couple line runs. A fish tape or coat-hanger wire helps with this.

Then, just reinstall the burner back in the oven in the reverse order that was removed. The two most critical steps are to ensure the thermo-couple is positioned in the correct area, and the spark electrode gap doesn't change. Make sure the pilot gas and main gas line are tightened snugly.

Then all that's left is to try it out. Turn the oven gas control to "Pilot", push the gas control knob in (just like you did when lighting the oven with a match), and push the igniter button. Voila - the oven pilot is lit!

Sorry for the long post, but since I don't have any pictures, a thousand words were needed.
ScanGauge, TST 507 TPMS
RJHuser is offline   Reply With Quote