Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2018, 04:33 AM   #1

Over the Air Module by Dish

Looking for someone who has a Dish OTA module installed on Dish Wally receiver. Yesterday I installed a hard drive to Wally and while in that area I touch the module and it was hot to touch, I mean hot. I called dish and they said it is normal. I am concerned how hot it is. Could someone who has one installed tell me if it is normal to be hot?
Secarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:06 AM   #2

Yes they do. Not a problem. Have our in a cabinet and keep a door open during use then close. Does not get so hot you can't keep your hand on it. It sends power to the dish to keep working so it is warm.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:27 AM   #3

Yes, Dish dual tuners get very warm. Keep it well ventilated. A small fan will work in a not so good inclosed cabinet.
A single tuner will not be anywhere as hot, but they are hard (read expensive) to find.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:53 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by A32Deuce View Post
It sends power to the dish to keep working so it is warm.
A OTA tuner dongle allows an over the air antenna signal (coax) to be connected to a non OTA receiver, via USB.
Old 08-09-2018, 07:58 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjacxx View Post
A OTA tuner dongle allows an over the air antenna signal (coax) to be connected to a non OTA receiver, via USB.
???
Old 08-09-2018, 08:41 AM   #6

Power from the receiver to the OTA tuner dongle and used by the dongle to do it's job, stops right there. There is no power passed from the dongle to an antenna.

A Dish antenna, in whatever form, style, model, etc. does not connect to an OTA dongle. The Dish antenna and it's LNB's is connected directly to, gets it's power from, a receiver via a coax connector found on the back of the receiver.
Old 08-09-2018, 01:06 PM   #7

Put Fans in the compartment

Heat is an enemy of all electronics. I have BR Player, WiFi Gateway etc in my compartment. I installed two computer style fans to circulate the air. I don't leave the door open which will eventually cause the lift pistons to leak. I just leave the door closed lightly. It does make a different when you live and camp in Florida Summers
hupmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 06:05 PM   #8

Heat

Well, tonight I checked how hot the OTA module was, the inside temp of RV was around 90 degrees, I could not hold module for more then a couple seconds, I replaced module with spare I have and within 3 minutes temp of module was as hot as the one removed.

The external hard drive is also very hot, I need to figure out what type fans should mount in the cabinet which do not take up much power, I have one outlet in the cabinet I suspect it is 15amp, running my walley and satellite.

Anyone have any suggestions for a none electrician.... something easy. I surely do not want to burn something up
Secarider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 07:06 PM   #9

Some Fans on Amazon

I found a 3" power strip I added & plugged it into my compartment then plugged in the fans. Or you can use something like this which will give you USB outlets so you actually use a computer muffin fan. BESTTEN 6 Outlet Wall Tap Adapter with Dual USB Charging Ports (3.1 Amp in Total), Surge Protector Electrical Socket Splitter, ETL Listed, White

I have Fans similar to These

AC Infinity AXIAL 1225, Quiet Muffin Fan, 115V 120V AC 120mm x 25mm Low Speed, for DIY Cooling Ventilation Exhaust Projects

Holmes Mini High Velocity Personal Fan, HNF0410A-BM
hupmat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 10:19 PM   #10

I have an extra USB powered chill fan that is usually used to cool a laptop computer. I use it under the tuner. It runs quiet and does the job.
Villagerjjm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2018, 10:18 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secarider View Post
Well, tonight I checked how hot the OTA module was, the inside temp of RV was around 90 degrees, I could not hold module for more then a couple seconds, I replaced module with spare I have and within 3 minutes temp of module was as hot as the one removed.

The external hard drive is also very hot, I need to figure out what type fans should mount in the cabinet which do not take up much power, I have one outlet in the cabinet I suspect it is 15amp, running my walley and satellite.

Anyone have any suggestions for a none electrician.... something easy. I surely do not want to burn something up

https://www.coolerguys.com/collections/cabinet-cooling

This company has excellent fans. VERY quiet and includes internal/external protective screens. Easy to install after a cabinet hole is cut with a hole saw.
l001952119 is online now   Reply With Quote