Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-27-2016, 12:46 PM   #1

Painted the Clear Dome over Shower

yesterday afternoon I painted the clear plastic dome over the shower stall with white paint, while up there I saw some small cracks in the Dicor sealant that needed to be patched and went back today to repair that,..... while on the roof at about 12:30 or so, I was curious to see if there was any evidence up there that the white paint really did have a benefit,..... I touched the white dome and nothing, just the slightest feel of warm, I reached over and touched the black ac cover and the black vent cover,.... then I just had to go get the gun and the camera, and the pics show the difference,... so yes I'm convinced its a worthwhile mod to do,...... the bottom temp on the inside pic is the outside temp in the shade,.......... I'm even more inclined now to paint those black covers with the same white paint, but not the half white/half black paint job that someone suggested for the ac cover,.... I'll leave the Zebra paint job to someone who thinks it has merit, I don't,.....
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0273.jpg
Views:	782
Size:	313.1 KB
ID:	118550   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0271.jpg
Views:	754
Size:	238.1 KB
ID:	118552   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0268.jpg
Views:	739
Size:	271.6 KB
ID:	118553   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0267.jpg
Views:	749
Size:	260.8 KB
ID:	118554  

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 12:56 PM   #2

Good info.

What was the temp of the clear dome before you painted it white? I guess I wonder how much heat it held or are you trying to block the direct sunlight into the shower?

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 01:10 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Good info. What was the temp of the clear dome before you painted it white? I guess I wonder how much heat it held or are you trying to block the direct sunlight into the shower?
I don't have any "before" info, but the intent is to block the sun which brings very hot temps into the trailer thru that clear plastic dome,...... and I wouldn't have done these pics today if the temp difference had not been so great when I was up there and touched the dome/vent/ and ac cover,....... this isn't my original idea, many other people have done this and posted about its effect, ..... the pics just give me proof that there is a benefit to it,......

Old 08-27-2016, 01:36 PM   #4

I painted the outside of my shower skylight dome last year with white, rubberized paint... the kind you seal eve's trough leaks with. It lowered the heat gain significantly. Don't need to see out that one anyway.

Self restraint is for the young. I'm old and want it NOW!
DaveSchwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2016, 05:05 PM   #5

ME TOO;

Painted mine white, helps significantly on theat inside the MH, and still lets in some light
Old 08-27-2016, 05:18 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveSchwartz View Post
I painted the outside of my shower skylight dome last year with white, rubberized paint... It lowered the heat gain significantly. Don't need to see out that one anyway.
DW and I have major disagreements about that skylight, and a constant battle over the Reflectix piece that I stick up inside to block the sun, it disappears all the time,... she wants the light, is cold natured and welcomes the heat it lets in,.....I want to block the heat from coming in to help the ac and "Don't need to see out that one anyway",...... two overhead lights in the bathroom is enough light for anybody,..... she doesn't know I painted over the dome, but will tomorrow when we get to the cg and she removes the Reflectix shield to hide it,....... happy trailering.........

Old 08-28-2016, 05:14 PM   #7

We had the same problem with heat and also sun fading from our 2 skylights. DW likes the light and being able to see out of them so I couldn't paint them. We found some solar screen that was a nice compromise and it really reduced the heat. I just taped it to the top of the inside portion of the skylights. I'm assuming most have 2 layers.. the separate inside dome, and the outside dome.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 07:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
DW and I have major disagreements about that skylight, and a constant battle over the Reflectix piece that I stick up inside to block the sun, it disappears all the time,... she wants the light, is cold natured and welcomes the heat it lets in,.....I want to block the heat from coming in to help the ac and "Don't need to see out that one anyway",...... two overhead lights in the bathroom is enough light for anybody,..... she doesn't know I painted over the dome, but will tomorrow when we get to the cg and she removes the Reflectix shield to hide it,....... happy trailering.........
Same Disagreements here fella,,, and same fight with Velcro & Reflectix,,,
Velcro would only hold what it was cool !!!

I ended the arguments by putting 5 coats of White paint on both Skylights & the New Clear Bath Vent that I had just replaced !!! The original was about 3 years old,,, it was a smoke cover,,, and was totaled screwed by the sun,,, it had even cracked !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2016, 08:06 PM   #9

What kind of paint are you guys using?
Sierra360PDEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 12:53 AM   #10

I've had luck using Krylon's plastic prep primer. It's made for plastic materials. It goes on clear and before it dries use Krylon plastic paint and the results are good. I always go back and add two layers of Krylon clear laquer for protection of scratching. I decided to use the dark film first before painting my skylight. I got the "Limousine dark" tint. Yes, it did make quite a difference blocking out the sun and heat. I placed it on top of the clear plastic that is on top of the trim piece on the inside.
Thurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2016, 06:00 AM   #11

I climbed up on the roof and painted the exterior of the bubble with a regular can of Rustolium.
Old 08-30-2016, 07:55 AM   #12

I used Restoleum Ultra,,, made for Wood / Metal & Plastic,,, not sure I would recommend it,,, it took 5 coats over 5 days ??? I did not want to see brush marks from inside !!! It was the only reasonable priced paint I saw in a Quart can !!!
Old 09-01-2016, 01:20 PM   #13

I left mine clear. Took off the inside section and foiled it, added some 1" foam and them foil on inside. Reinstalled and the inside of the bathroom stays as cool as the rest of the RV. I also had all of the windows limo tinted and painted the front door frost window black. Rv stays cooler now by 10 degrees. I am in Texas, so we are used to 100+ degree temps. This works great.
Kstedman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 07:43 AM   #14

I am hoping that the paint will help protect the plastic,,, Smoked vent cover for Bath fan was COOKED after just 3 years !!!
Old 09-02-2016, 07:55 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
So, how did your trip work out? Is she talking to you yet?

2010 Ford F-150 Crew Cab
2015 Salem Hemisphere 263RL
CampingGator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:18 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sierra360PDEK View Post
What kind of paint are you guys using?

Latex house paint, lasts for years.
Brewhedd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:29 AM   #17

I use BEHR exterior paint on our doors & shutters & trim on our house !!!
GREAT PAINT !!!
Old 09-02-2016, 08:40 AM   #18

An alternate to painting the shower sky light dome is to take down the inner lense and put a couple of layers of 1" bubble wrap inbetween the inner and out lense ... reinstall the inner lense. It makes quite a bit of difference and still lets the light in.
dieselguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2016, 08:47 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dieselguy View Post
An alternate to painting the shower sky light dome is to take down the inner lense and put a couple of layers of 1" bubble wrap inbetween the inner and out lense ... reinstall the inner lense. It makes quite a bit of difference and still lets the light in.
I would be afraid the Bubble Rap would blow up or melt !!!
Old 09-02-2016, 09:23 AM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I am hoping that the paint will help protect the plastic,,, Smoked vent cover for Bath fan was COOKED after just 3 years !!!
I put MaxxAir covers on all vents when the 5er was purchased. Wish they made one for the skylight.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
show, shower