Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-11-2013, 06:03 PM   #1

Question Painting

Has anyone tried painting any of the walls??? I'm so tired of the drab wallpaper stuff, it looks so outdated
Grammyof15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2013, 08:35 PM   #2

Please delete that question before my wife sees it and gets an idea.
I am new to campers this year but it seems reasonable to be able to paint it.
Buck1032 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2013, 10:11 AM   #3
Broken Toe

KILZ. Use Kilz primer first. I painted an old double-wide mobile home that had that generic ugly prefab wallpaper drywall. First section took 3 coats and still wasn't exactly 'covered'. A friend suggested Kilz and it worked like magic. One coat of primer, and one coat of paint.

Funny thing is.... they make Kilz 3 miles from my house and I never had a clue.

Tim

"Camper" 2016
Rockwood Signature Ultralite 8329ss
"Casper" 2017 Ram 2500 Laramie Diesel
..ProPride 3P Hitch - "Yeah. It's worth it."
Cowracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 12:34 AM   #4

Do you need to sand the wallpaper first, to get the paint to stick? I've tried to research this because I want to paint our entire RV interior, but everything I've found says that you have to sand the wallpaper to get the paint to stick, then use an oil-based primer, then the interior paint. Is that correct? Seems that sanding would make an awful mess. I'd love to just do primer and paint. Does it work?
LifeRidingShotgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:07 AM   #5

It's not really wall paper it's kinda a contact paper. We marded one area and my wife touched it up with dabbing paint on a sponge to blend it in. It stuck and covered well. I do not think you need to sand, you would take that stuff right off and then you would have a mess. I agree just prime and paint, I have seen it done to my friends unit. I would try it behind something like a sofa or chair area first.

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 03:59 AM   #6

I would use a damp sponge mop and wipe them down before using the primer suggested above.